Banner Ad 1

Alpha class

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Alpha class

Postby jr3d » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:55 pm

I am wanting to convert an static model of an alpha to RC as an engineering project. If you guys would be so kind as to link me to all of the current alpha kits available I would appreciate it. I want to make this thing small and fast if possible.
jr3d

Postby aeroengineer1 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:41 am

First what tools do you have and what are you considering to be small? I am doing the U212 from revell, and it will be fully functional and a static diver. I do know that there are a few kits out there, but I think that they are in the 1:400 scale, which would make for a small boat indeed. What is the scope of you engineering project?

Adam

Aerospacengieer
aeroengineer1

Postby Gerwalk » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:04 am

This is my recolection on Alfa class plastic models:

-CN models Alfa (~1/200), enough room for RCing, it comes with a motor, batteries compartment and primitive diving system. The details are not the best and the hull shape, specially the bow is not accurate. I bought it in e-bay as an Akula boat...go figure!
-DML-Dragon 1/350: small boat not very accurate.
-DML-Dragon 1/700: same as above half the size...
-Arii "Lenin" 1/700: small and inaccurate.
-Maquette 1/400: the best in town! Details are fine (mostly rised lines) and shape is accurate. Only defect: it comes with just one water intake. Size: not very big of course but I think you can fit a small motor and micro RC parts in it (maybe you can put the circuit that comes with those cheap micro RC subs and make it an active diver).
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby jr3d » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:31 pm

wow thanks for the help guys I have a full machine shop so anything is possible I just don't want to day 245 bucks for a only a fiberglass hull. Anything under 48 inches is within working range for me.

Thank you for your time,
jr3d
jr3d

Postby aeroengineer1 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:21 pm

I work with small models (under 16" in length and under 2" in beam) and I can tell you that it gets rather touchy in the area of the control surfaces. As that tail cone gets smaller, and the fins thinner, you will need to come up with a way to make them workable. It is not impossible, but very tedious. If you do end up making your own hull, I think that you will find out why they are so expensive. As the level of detail goes up, the time invested goes through the roof. I have been working on a 1/16th scale Japanese Type A model, and I can tell you that I have well over 300 hours invested into the masters, that is just the masters, and the thing is about 80-90% done. The molding tooling will be made after that. Hope that helps.

Adam
aeroengineer1

Postby Mandrake » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:03 pm

Gerwalk wrote:This is my recolection on Alfa class plastic models:

-CN models Alfa (~1/200), enough room for RCing, it comes with a motor, batteries compartment and primitive diving system. The details are not the best and the hull shape, specially the bow is not accurate. I bought it in e-bay as an Akula boat...go figure!
-DML-Dragon 1/350: small boat not very accurate.
-DML-Dragon 1/700: same as above half the size...
-Arii "Lenin" 1/700: small and inaccurate.
-Maquette 1/400: the best in town! Details are fine (mostly rised lines) and shape is accurate. Only defect: it comes with just one water intake. Size: not very big of course but I think you can fit a small motor and micro RC parts in it (maybe you can put the circuit that comes with those cheap micro RC subs and make it an active diver).

Interesting breakdown of the available options for what is admittedly my favourite submarine class.

Though the 1/400 Maquette is perhaps the best base for an accurate mode I'm not keen on getting into another scale so I am contemplating just what can be done to make the 1/350 Dragon kit acceptable....So far on the list I have, rescribing (torp tuber, escape module) adding the horizontal fin creeper motors, intakes and, what might be the make or break part, carefully fill and sand the sail base so that is is more flush with the main hull, without loosing the surrounding detail.

What do you think? Anyone know of anyone who has tried to accurize the DML Alfa?

Also still praying Trumpeter will do a 1/144 Alfa! A long shot I know but Trumpeter does have a tendency to suprise us!
Mandrake

Postby Gerwalk » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:47 am

I'm not sure about DML's Alfa bow shape. Doesn't look correct to me.

Maquette Alfa and Kilo are very nice models, they worth a try!!
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Mandrake » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:47 pm

Gerwalk wrote:I'm not sure about DML's Alfa bow shape. Doesn't look correct to me.

Maquette Alfa and Kilo are very nice models, they worth a try!!

Looking at it I think you might be right regarding the bow. The DML kit does seem abit on the blunt side, but I'm not sure it is that bad maybe I can live with that, will have to see!

Considering the price of the Maquette kit I might just pick one up after all, though I still long for a good /1350 to stand accurately alongside my other 1/350 sub collection.
Mandrake

Postby Gerwalk » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:32 am

Yes, you should buy you one!! The variety of scales is really a mess but I don't care. I also prefer 1/350 and 1/700 since I have most of my Russian fleet in those scales but it doesn't hurt to try the Alfa in 1/400 scale.
Here is a review of the Maquett Alfa kit I did (so far in Spanish):

http://www.elsnorkel.com/web/forum_topi ... ASTICO+KIT
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby jr3d » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:17 pm

who sells DML alphas?
jr3d

Postby Gerwalk » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:43 am

jr3d wrote:who sells DML alphas?

The Alfa comes with a 688:

try here:
http://www.militaryhobbies.ca/product.c ... uctID=4246
or here:

http://www.freetimehobbies.com/dml1005.html
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Gerwalk » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:04 am

I think the DML Alfa is wrong in many areas, stern, planes, sail, bow... Check it out:

Pablo
Gerwalk

Return to Static Modeler