Banner Ad 1

PVC

The United Kingdom Local Chapter

Postby Davy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:57 am

Hi All,

I used these last year and a metre of 2 inch grey PVC cost me £11.94 + VAT

http://www.westwardplastics.co.uk/

I see they stock up to about 120mm dia and a 1m length of 100mm dia would cost about £50 + VAT + carriage by TNT.

I see they also have some clearance items 11m of 150mm dia in red PVC awaiting offers! Not quite pink but who cares!

David
Davy

Postby Himszy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:35 pm

Andy would :D

I thought the prices seemed 'right' compared to other places....but then when you add on the 12.50 for p&p....

Anyway I'll see what this place has tomorrow,

Thanks,

Michael
Himszy

Postby Wheelerdealer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:23 pm

Himszy wrote:Thanks Andy, I'll see what the damage is.

Anyone else need some now or in the near future?

Michael

I'll take some off you if have any left over.
Ramesh
www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer
SubCommittee Member

Postby Himszy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:33 pm

Well as I said to Andy, if you want a particular size I'll pick it up tomorrow and post it.......As I can get it cut to size there won't be any left.

Michael
Himszy

Postby Wheelerdealer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:45 pm

Himszy wrote:Well as I said to Andy, if you want a particular size I'll pick it up tomorrow and post it.......As I can get it cut to size there won't be any left.

Michael

100mm x 100mm x 20mm thick x 6 pieces or a big enough sheet that I cut my self please.
Ramesh
www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer
SubCommittee Member

Postby Himszy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:15 am

Ramesh,

Check you inbox :D

Michael
Himszy

Postby Sub culture » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:02 pm

Yikes, even more expensive than I thought! Wow, this stuff is expensive when you don't buy it as scrap offcuts.

A 500mm square sheet would do for me, although I suspect you've already been to the place by now.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Himszy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:05 pm

'fraid so.

It's alot stronger(and heavier) than I thought though.....I'm wondering if I really did need the 20mm thickness.....

Tomorrow it's off to buy drainage tubes for the piston tanks :D

Michael
Himszy

Postby Himszy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:03 pm

Andy(or anyone else) going again next week either Monday or Tuesday let me know if you'ld like anything picked up:

michae lhims @blue yon der.co.uk

Cheers,

Michael
Himszy

Postby Davy » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:55 am

Hi Michael,

Sorry it's too late really but it may be cheaper to laminate sheets of PVC together with PVC adhesive.

The photo shows this approach with my R class. In this case it was polycarb stuck together. I made individual disks and it was all done before I had my Peatol lathe.

BTW I have now used riser blocks on the lathe to turn 100mm polycarb and it worked very well.

Another idea I hve been trying is yet another use for old DVD's. Turned down they make good light bulkheads/supports for the equipment tray inside the WTC. Saves having millions of beer mats!

David

PS I have one health worry about DVD - what is the foil inside made from? Something exotic?? Pollonium perhaps !!!???
Anybody know?
Davy

Postby Sub culture » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:14 am

I think it's aluminium, and I had exactly the same idea for the proliferation of free discs that get thrown around like confetti.

So no Russian assassination attempts here!

Currently battling computer problems. My water pump has given up the ghost, so it's off to the local aquarium suppliers, plus I think I have either a driver problem or some hardware issues as it's crashing badly.

Blow it, I haven't had any major computer grief for over three years. I hate computers sometimes.

Andy

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Himszy » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:24 am

Thanks David, though actually the thicker it is the cheaper it costs (per cm3).

Andy, sounds like a good time to format :D (I format everything 6-8 times a year)

Michael
Himszy

Postby Sub culture » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:37 pm

I've been fiddling with the computer with most of today. Looks to be a heat issue- I thought the waterpump was mechanically knackered, but it appears the inductive coil which controls the impeller is breaking down when it warms up, hence an intermittent fault.

New pump on order, as the aquarium didn't have the right model, and the cheapest they sold was over 30 quid (!!).

I'm typing this on my old trusty Pentium II laptop! :D

Reminds me of that line from Blade Runner 'Replicants are like any other machine; they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, it's not my problem.'

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby PHPH » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:54 pm

This is my take on end caps. I've also followed the laminated Polycarb route, so far so good.

the white thing is the shaft stuffing box, made from PTFE, this cap is for a Trumpeter Seawolf
PHPH

Postby Davy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:19 am

Hi Andy,

For the last day or so I've been puzzling over your comments about your computer.

So it must be water cooled!

You truly are the "Man from Atlantis." :D

David
Davy

PreviousNext

Return to SubCommittee GB