Banner Ad 1

Sub Committee Uk chapter name change

The United Kingdom Local Chapter

Sub Committee Uk chapter name change

Postby Sub culture » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:05 am

Hi folks,

It has been recently brought to my attention that the continued use of the name 'Sub Committee UK' is illegal, owing to that name being registered as a company by another organisation, which appears to be run by former UK members of the Sub Committee US (Ha!).

Life is too short to obsess over a very insignificant issue, so I think under the circumstances a name change is required.!

My vote goes for either of these-

Sub Com UK

SubRon UK.

Thumbs up for your favourite, or if you have another suggestion, fire away.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:38 pm

Okay......time for airing some history......

Let me first state that I do not believe that Alec Gibson has a legal leg to stand on.

Preserved in the e-mail archive by both Jim Wheeler and myself is the e-mail that Alec originally sent to Marshall Clark when his group joined the SubCommittee. In it he very clearly stated that as of that date the SubCommittee UK would become a part (subsidiary, I think) of the parent organization. Filing for trademark by Alec not withstanding. Ever since then the use of "SubCommitteeUK" has been in continuous use by the SubCommittee, Inc...both on the web site and in each issue of the SCR. Use of such a 'trademark' by the SubCommittee would certainly appear

If the members of the U.K. Local Chapter wish to pursue a name change, I am certain that the EC will support it.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby PHPH » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:29 pm

Dont be offended, but come on, Get a grip
Life's to short, this is after all a hobby isnt it?

This is the eason people like me dont bother joining organisations anymore.

Paul Holman....former Sub Committee member.
PHPH

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:49 pm

Paul,

I am in full agreement with you on this.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:51 am

PHPH wrote:Dont be offended, but come on, Get a grip
Life's to short, this is after all a hobby isnt it?

Paul Holman....former Sub Committee member.

I won't argue with you there at all, Paul.

I was personally threatened with legal action on account of my name appearing as a contact for UK members of the Sub Committee.

Basically, I'm a volunteer doing my best to make this a better hobby for all UK submariners, I'm not interested in which organisation, club etc. you belong to, and I'm not making any money out of it. For instance the Sub run that I organised last year was open to all model submariners and free.

Unfortunately, there are always a minority of people who have an axe to grind, and they have a bad habit of ruining the fun for the majority.

This dates back to a thread on here where I was gauging interest in a pool run for UK members. I wanted to invite non-members and also AMS members. The consequences of this was that I was accused of promoting the AMS on a Sub Committee UK board, and this resulted in a somewhat heated exchange.

The end result was that a group of UK members mass resigned from the Sub Committee, and probably registered the Sub Committee UK as an independant company. All because some folk don't like the AMS!

To me this looked like a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

However if these guys think a small name change will dent my enthusiasm, then they're mistaken, and I hope to increase media coverage of the Sub Committee within the UK via SubCom UK, and hopefully get a few more events off the ground in the future.

All I need is the support of the Uk model submarine community.

Andy

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Name Change

Postby clive » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:35 am

If some indiviual is being dificult because of Sub Committee UK why not make a small change and call ourselves Sub Committee GB. Hopefully we would still be a thorn in this individuals flesh that way.
Clive An active pensioner living in Wiltshire, England
clive

Postby Himszy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:04 am

Personally I think SubCommUK sounds better than SC UK.....

Michael
Himszy

Re: Name Change

Postby Sub culture » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:36 pm

clive wrote:If some indiviual is being dificult because of Sub Committee UK why not make a small change and call ourselves Sub Committee GB. Hopefully we would still be a thorn in this individuals flesh that way.

That's a very good idea, Clive.

It's quite obvious, but hadn't occurred to me. No cause for complaint at all about that name, and it still describes our branch perfectly.

What do others think?

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Paul von Braun » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:01 pm

Andy, it sounds really good to me. The only thing might be if those in Northern Ireland felt excluded. The full title being 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland.' However, I'm sure that that is so minor as to be insignificant.

Paul.
Website detailing OTW Designs Type VIIc build: http://www.u96.freewebspace.com
Paul von Braun

Postby Wheelerdealer » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:06 am

SubCommittee GB sounds good to me :D
Ramesh
www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer
SubCommittee Member

Postby Davy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:21 am

Hi All,

I would really like SubCommittee - One in the eye for Alec - GB but I suppose SubCommittee GB will have to do!

Seroiusly SubCommittee GB will be very good.

It is a shame that people (Like Alec) in a niche hobby seem to be determned to niche it even more.

David

PS Concerning Paul's comments maybe we need SubCommittee British Isles - though I think he was joking!
Davy

Postby Paul von Braun » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:08 pm

Well, I was only half joking! SC British Isles sounds even better to me.
Do we really have to change it? Can we not just tell these sad f*cks to get a life...

Paul.
Website detailing OTW Designs Type VIIc build: http://www.u96.freewebspace.com
Paul von Braun

Postby ShadowPeo » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:03 pm

Just reading this rather interesting post, and I dont know about UK law, but Australia has a "Prior Art" clause, basically if you can prove that you (in this case SC) were using the name BEFORE it was published in the UK then you own it, also in a case like this Jeff's email would help
ShadowPeo

Postby Sub culture » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:28 am

I've tackled these guys once before, so I'm aware of what I'm dealing with.

I want the minimum of fuss and politics, and the stirrers can just bugger off to kingdom come for all I care.

Sub Committee GB sounds fine to me, and that's what I'll now be recommending. I haven't heard from any sub modellers in Ireland, they are very welcome to come across and join in with any events, of course.

Jeff, I'm sure you will read this. Can the article I sent for the report reflect the name change please, and also can we change the heading for our chapter on this board.

I have changed my email contact address to subcommitteegb'at'btinternet.com

Please can the contact details be modified to suit.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Perhaps we can now put this matter to bed, and move on with more interesting things.

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Himszy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:20 pm

Yeah there was one one - Jim went by the username Skaboo.

Michael
Himszy

Next

Return to SubCommittee GB