Banner Ad 1

gato details

Static Submarine modelers unite!

gato details

Postby kurt4394 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:09 pm

I am trying to detail the Trumpy Gato 1944 version. I have trying to figure what would show through the bow area limber/drain holes. None of the plans (drydock's e book) and pics I have really shows what's there. I am assuming it's the top of the pressure hull and the bottom of the chain locker in front of that. Can anyone help me with an idea of what would show there. I thing the chain locker just has some transverse framing on the bottom. I also can't tell where on ends and the other begins. Is it just forward of the planes?

kurt
kurt4394
SubCommittee Member

Postby bob_eissler » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:15 pm

I have built the earlier version. You really can't see anything in there on the model. The deck doesn't allow light to penetrate so it is too dark even without painting the interior. at that scale, it not worth the effort. At 1/72 scale maybe it would be.
Bob
bob_eissler
SubCommittee Member

Postby kurt4394 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:18 pm

Thanks, Maybe I'll just put a the bottom of the wouldbe chain locker across and paint it a dark gray so it gives the illusion of something. How about the pressure hull where the companion way would be?

Kurt
kurt4394
SubCommittee Member

Postby RickNelson » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:32 am

This reply may be too late for your build but a good reference for what you are asking is Squadron/Signals Gato-Class Submarines #28. On page 20 there is a three-view drawing of the Balao (I know, not the right class!) which is very close to what you would see of a Gato below the superstructure. The bottom view is an exploded side view which shows the interior of the boat. It gives you a very good idea of what can and cannot be seen through the limber holes.

Obviously, the most forward limber holes over the torpedo outer door shutters are see-through. If you are modeling the boat with the bow planes rigged out then what you see through the holes in the bow plane recess is mixed. The bow-plane rigging and tilting mechanism, the capstan drive, the anchor chain drive and storage are all in this area and will block the see-through view to one degree or another. Any limber holes aft of the bow planes are blocked by pressure hull unless additional row of limber holes were added.

The diagram has a dashed line running horizontally which shows the position of the tank tops relative to the pressure hull. This can be your guide for determining if other holes can be seen through. The diagram does not show all of the piping, etc below the deck that obstructs see-through viewing however.

BTW, the decking is a mix of slatted teak and perforated steel plate so light does penetrate to some extent, more so under the teak.
Rick Nelson

Qualified in Submarines 1965
SCM #2583

"D..n the pressure, Six-Zero feet!"
"Most men would rather die than think, Most of them do!" - Bertrand Russell
"Boomers hide with Pride"
RickNelson

Return to Static Modeler