Banner Ad 1

Help in South Bend with Disney Nautilus

Midwest US Local Chapter - Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, and Wisconsin.

Postby Thomcmdchief » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:09 pm

I've got the Custom Replica's 66" Nautilus with Dave Merriman's 3.5 WTC. The guts are pretty straight forward, but when it comes to wiring led's etc. I'm a complete moron. Anyone in SubRon 6 able to provide this electronically handicapped soul some guidance?

Thom Lustik,
South Bend
Thomcmdchief

Postby 115-1045840519 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:36 am

Thom,

I wrote up an article awhile back on wiring LEDs. I'll forward it to you. LEDs are fairly straightforward to wire up. You just need to add know the 'forward voltage' Vf of the LED and then wire the appropriate sized resistor in series with it.

Drop me a note at subjerome@hotmail.com and I'll send it to you.

Do you think you'll be able to make the May 17th Fun Run in Carmel, IN? I'd love to see a Custom Replica's Nautilus first hand.

Jerome
115-1045840519

Postby Thomcmdchief » Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:46 pm

I'm note sure my boat will be ready my then. I've got to build a rudder gear box and work on some sort of linear pusrod to turn the rudder and then of course the led's, somewhere around 30 of them. Carmel is close, and I know of a White Castle nearby, so there is a chance!

I appreciate any help I can get with this project. :p
Thomcmdchief

Postby 115-1045840519 » Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:23 am

Thom,

Don't let the fact that its not finished deter you from bringing it. We always love to see projects that are under construction. Sub modelers always have projects 'on the ways'.

Jerome
115-1045840519

Postby TMSmalley » Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:43 am

I second what Jerome said! Please bring your model no matter what stage its in. We always enjoy seeing projects that are works in progress. A lot of times, the guys can make suggestions that help you solve the unsolveable! :cool:

If you need information on the May 17 Fun Run in Carmel, Indiana (near Indianapolis) check the SubRon6 website Click to go to the SubRon6 website ~ www.subron6.com
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thomcmdchief » Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:37 pm

Thanks guys, subs and White Castle what a combo. Sure I'll come on down in May. But, you've got to promise me some help with my project.

The Custom Replica's hull was never initially designed for R/C. It was a static model which could be converted. Things like an operable rudder, prop, WTC platform, wiring etc. were not really considered when they cast the hull. The main feature was upper and lower hull separation.

It's a gorgeous model, but I have to become smart in the design phase. For instance the rudder. Unless I want the obvious pushrod arrangement sticking out the hull, I've got to come up with a gear drive rudder arrangement. This brings up a whole set of problems. I'm looking at using a flexi shaft attached to a set of right angle transfer gears attached to the rudder shaft. Problem # 1 is transfering the servo rotation directly to the flexi shaft. Now I'm not an engineer (actually I'm a high school Aerospace Science Insturctor). Another problem is the vast wasteland of hobby suppliers here in South Bend. Even finding .065" control horns for the four diving planes is turning into major issue.

So anyway, it will be there in Carmel that is, but any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I might also mention the I've been a diver for over 40 years and have a great Iklite underwater video system with lighting if any members at the Regatta should want some underwater footage.

By the way, does anyone know how you can change your registration status here to member? I'm # 2471

Thom Lustik
South Bend, IN

Edited By Thomcmdchief on 1046626715
Thomcmdchief

Postby webmaster » Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:41 pm

By the way, does anyone know how you can change your registration status here to member? I'm # 2471

Sure Thom -

There's a Help topic about this, but the short of it is that one needs to contact a SC Officer with your SC number and we'll do this for you. Since you're including your membership number above, I'll handle this one. :)

Thanks!

-Andy Hunt
SubCommittee Webmaster
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:25 pm

Thomcmdchief wrote:I might also mention the I've been a diver for over 40 years and have a great Iklite underwater video system with lighting if any members at the Regatta should want some underwater footage.

Hi Thom -
It's great to hear we have another diver in the group - I got my first C card in 1968. The PADI classes were a high school grad present from my Dad. I think a pair of chest high waders will be fine in this 3 foot deel pond, pond when we go in to the wild, its nice to have scuba gear along!

Between your Ikelite housing and my ROV with surface monitor and tape deck we should be able to get some good footage. I'll bring the Nikonos too for some U/W stills.

Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:00 pm

You mentioned needing a set up to turn your rudder that dosen't make ugly hull openings.
I've been bouncing a idea around in my head for using a rack & pinion type steering.
The rudder would have a gear on it's lower or upper end that rides in a toothed rack (maybe a wire tie would work for the rack). The rack would slide backwards and forwards too turn the gear.

For a mental picture, have you ever seen a SST Car. You insert a toothed rip cord by the wheel and then pull it out spinning the wheel at high speed. Set it down and watch it race across the room to crash into the wall, furniture, or leg of someone.

What do you think? Has anyone used a rack and pinion setup.

Another thought is the band on a stepper motor in a computers floppy drive. Tear a old floppy apart and see how they move the read write heads back and forth.

Good luck on your construction.
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thomcmdchief » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:46 am

Tim,

Diving is a real passion of mine, and I guess seeing 20K during the late 50's had a lot to do with it. I was able to take a YMCA certification course during high school in 1962, was certified as an instructor by PADI in 1971 and also by the Air Force. I guess I'm just kind of an underwater guy.

Scott,

I picked up a set of brass mitre gears that are around 5/16 in diameter. My idea at this point is to run a 1/8 flexi shaft from the hull through the lower fin and construct a gear box of some sort. The flexi shaft connects to one gear and the rudder post to the other. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to transmit the rotation of the rudder servo inside the pressure hull to the free end of the flexi shaft on th e outside. Any ideas???

Thom ??? ???
Thomcmdchief

Postby Thomcmdchief » Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:24 pm

Well, I guess you convinced me. I just made the reservations at the Hampton in Carmel. I have to be at Purdue for an Air Force officer commissioning ceremony at 0700 that morning, the 16th, so I guess I might be the first one there. Look me up :)

Thom Lustik
South Bend
Thomcmdchief

Postby 68-1046821426 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:59 pm

Hey Scott,

My RMSS Type XXI uses a rack and pinion design for the rudder due to minimum amount of room under the the stern cover. It has to be constructed from a brass/stainless steel rod and gear notches cut into it, or you can go to W.M. Berg, Inc. and pick the desired pitch and diameter.

Mike D.
68-1046821426

Postby 68-1046821426 » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:01 am

Hey Scott and Thom,
My RMSS Type XXI uses a rack and pinion design for the rudder due to minimum amount of room under the the stern cover. It has to be constructed from a brass/stainless steel rod and gear notches cut into it, or you can go to W.M. Berg, Inc. and pick the desired pitch and diameter.

Mike D.
68-1046821426

Postby Thomcmdchief » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:24 pm

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a diagram of your XXI rudder arrangement?

Thom
Thomcmdchief

Postby 68-1046821426 » Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:54 pm

Thom,

I'll snap a pic of it tonight and send you a copy.

Well at least SubRon6 won't have any drowning subs, three divers and counting. :p

Mike D.
68-1046821426

Next

Return to SubRon6