Banner Ad 1

Model Brass upgrades for Revell Type VII-C

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Model Brass upgrades for Revell Type VII-C

Postby Corsaire » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:39 am

Folks,

I haven't had any sucess reaching Jason @ Model Brass either by phone or emails. Perhaps, some of you can reach out and help me.

I'd like to order his brass upgrades but have some questions before doing that:

1) Is it really worth it this upgrade, will it really improve the appearance of the model?

2) I have a problem with, how do you install the upgrades of the flood vents (limber holes, grates) right underneath the bow and stern by the skeg.
It looks like you need to cut out the plastic section so it can be replaced with the brass one? The filling the gaps around it with bondo, etc?
How did you guys accomplish this ?

Thanks in advance.

Corsaire
"Übung macht den Meister"
Corsaire

Postby sam reichart » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:19 pm

models by mickster used to carry his decks...perhaps he still has some in stock so you can bypass Jason...someone else was having problems reaching him as well.

I used the decks from him and found them to be a nice addition, and easily done. I can't speak for the other parts...

Sam
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby tabledancer » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:55 am

I`ve used Jasons deck set on both of my boats,one static and one r/c.The lower hull flood grates that I think you speak of really make the boat in my opion and they are really not a big deal to install.You just cut the hull a little larger and shim back the opening with plastruk square stock so that the p/e grill fits flush with the outer surface and add a little putty to finish it,and you are ready to go.The deck installs the same way,just add some support to make it sent flush with the top of the hull. :wink:
It is a shame that Jason can`t be found as it is a very good kit and well worth the time and money to install it.If you need some help let me know maybe I can send a few picts.
TD :wink:
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Postby Corsaire » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:44 pm

DT,

Thanks. In fact, if you happen to have off-hand pics of how you did it, it would help me a lot.

But I'm afraid to order from Jason,as he's not returning calls or emails, it could end up like the 32nd Parallel debacle/ordeal, if you remember that.

Then again, there's another option as I understand, like Nautilus Models', but the upgardes are in laser cut wood. Perhaps, that could be the best option as I've heard they have a better Customer Service.

Hmmmm....

Corsaire
Corsaire

Postby sam reichart » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:52 pm

Corsaire wrote:DT,

Thanks. In fact, if you happen to have off-hand pics of how you did it, it would help me a lot.

But I'm afraid to order from Jason,as he's not returning calls or emails, it could end up like the 32nd Parallel debacle/ordeal, if you remember that.

Then again, there's another option as I understand, like Nautilus Models', but the upgardes are in laser cut wood. Perhaps, that could be the best option as I've heard they have a better Customer Service.

Hmmmm....

Corsaire

I have that deck for the VIIC/41...a nice piece of work as well.

I suggest you see if Mickster has the metal deck in stock, and bypass Jason...
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby tabledancer » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:21 pm

I am slightly familiar with the Nautilus Models deck but I don`t think that the lower grills are included in the set.I agree with Sam knowing from experience with Mickster that he is great to deal with and will help if he can.If you still can`t get the set then you just get your cutter and knife out and start to dig and cut the same way you did in cutting the flood vents in the casing.Good luck :wink: !
Send me your e-mail address and I`ll send you a few picts,because I don`t know how to post them here.
TD
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Mickster

Postby Corsaire » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:55 pm

Sam,

Thanks, I think I'll give them a call.

Corsaire
Corsaire

Return to Static Modeler