Banner Ad 1

Sun N Fun 07 site possibility

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

Sun N Fun 07 site possibility

Postby PaulC » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:18 pm

Guys,

Was talking to the aquatics facility director at Texas A&M University today regarding the use of their awesome natatorium facilities. They have a 50 meter, eight-lane competition pool; graduated depths of seven to nine feet. Adjacent to it is a 17-feet deep dive well which also doubles as an eight-lane, 25-meter pool. The dive well also has an underwater viewport. All of this is indoors and air conditioned for the Texas summer heat.

With the SubRegatta being held this year in the middle of August at the traditional time of SNF, and the possibility that the water may not be up to standard on the San Gabriel, who is interested in pursuing this venue?

It is located in College Station, Texas 90 miles from both Houston and Austin.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:44 pm

Paul,

That looks like a great venue to me! My only concern would be how much it would cost to rent it out for two days. Did the facility director give you any ideas as to how much it would run us?

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby PaulC » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:11 am

We are in negotiations. The going rate, depending on which venue we use is $80 - $200 -- per HOUR!!!

The good news is she said we could use it for free if we showed up during regular unrestricted time. Starting in July they are essentially unused. The swim meets are over and everyone is in the outdoor pool. If we wanted to risk someone swimming laps we could shoot up any time.

Hopefully, we can arrange an affordable fee for a part of the pool. I'll hear more in a day or two. Only problem was the operating hours on Sunday: noon to 8pm. We'd miss our morning run.

We'll see though. I'll post more as it becomes available. And I'm still curious who is interested in coming to College Station.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

I like it

Postby BoomerFunker » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:10 am

I'd prefer a nice clean full river though.
The hours are OK with me for the pool, I was planning on a full day Sunday this year.

One thing I would miss however is the good old fashioned gospel revival that's always been a feature on Saturdays at the park.

No, not really.

TomK
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:22 am

I'm in.

(Duh.)

Shall I bring some water with me from the La Mirada aquatic park facility I'M in negotiations with? We can have some kind of official "passing water" ceremony.

On second thought . . .

Seriously, my only concern is that the SNF date not conflict with the La Mirada date -- which I'm also now committed to. And I won't know THAT date for about three months!

Tom'll miss the Gospel Show. I guess I'M gonna miss the greasy catfish.

Jeff

"You've still got a helluva fish out there, Martin. With a mouth about THIS big!" Matt Hooper, "Jaws"
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:08 am

If the negotiations work out, works for me.
Mornings could be show and tell and prep time nearby somewhere.
We could also use it as one of two meets a year
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubRon5