Banner Ad 1

Gail Phillip's builds

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

Gail Phillip's builds

Postby Wayne Frey » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:39 pm

In north Houston, in an unassuming, normal neighborhood, is nestled the Possum Works North Houston branch of Sub Ron 5.
To the western part of Houston, in Cypress, lies the WarFish shipyard section of the Possum Works. Home of Paul Crozier, and now, to the south of Houston in the Clear Lake operations area of the Possum Works, your very own Vice President Wayne Frey, ( me) will be operating.
But it is Gail's operation that is mind blowing for the inovation he has produced. I want to share a glimpse inside the labratory of his garage, so that maybe some ideas can be shared. Jeff Larue inspired Gail on the design of his wtcs, and has come out with some outstanding ideas.
Below is what myself and Paul saw yesterday:

First a Small Worlds SS580 Japanese submarine. Most impressive kit. It bears consideration if you are looking for a new kit.
The sail of the SS 580 was the point of Gail's focus when we walked in.

A Small Worlds wtc ready for the SS580

Gail designed, (inspired by Jeff Laurue's Sea Hund), a custom wtc for his War Fish Type XXI. Nothing was lacking here boys and girls!!!
A 750 ml Engle psiton tank setup is utilized, with magnets installed in the gears, and a hall effect type sensor he obtained from some german modellers to precisly control the settings on the pump.
The 4 inch wtc saddles were made and cast by Gail himself, as well as the remaining end caps and bulkheads, and the bulkhead behind the pump to mount the linear servos.
Using a 750

Homework goes into Gail's work,with good result. The bulkheads all have a hole for the screw to pass through when in operation from the piston tank. The whole affair is designed for the rod to pass between the servos, and over the new Sabertooth dual 10 amp controller. it can be set to slow down the inside motor on turns, to aid in turning tighter. Neat stuff!!!!
The entire contents are designed to fit within the three carbon fiber rods that are 5mm O.D., 3mm I.D. with a stainless steel threaded rod inside of each one of them 3 mm in diameter, for a perfect, snug fit.
To remove any component, one only has to slid the rod from the top out, for easy acess and removal.

website link for this cool controller :
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/

Paul Corzier listening to Gail intenetly trying to keep up with the one-right after-another good ideas of Gail's.

Gail turning a groove in one of his custom wtc endcaps

Material used for making molds

Another electronic goodie he fished off the internet. It is highly effecient and generates little heat.

A joint experiment that could apply to the Type XXI hull. A belt drive, gear reduction system for confined spaces.
Note attention to detail. Carbon fiber impregnated into the casting.
It was exciting to be there!!!

Bow plane experiment. How do they engauge the center contol horn? Magnets!!

A seperate 3.5 wtc was designed for the motor section because it sits lower in the hull of the Type XXI.
Features include entirely custom built wtc, with planetary inline gear drives and dual motors.

Behind the wtc on the shelves , under the camoflage tarps, is a Seawolf and Alfa. Both fine examples of Thor's boats. Both are fully operational, not in a box.

New state of the art battery designed to fit inside the wtc perfectly..

I walked away in awe at what I had seen.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:59 pm

Gail does excellent work. I like what he's done to expand on what he saw in my Seehund. I sent him a series of photos of my Seehund module that he's been using to craft his own version of an Engel dive module. I thought other folks might like to see them as well.

Overall view:

The aft vertical bulkhead showing the two servo mounts and the tunnel for the piston jack screw:

The forward bulkhead use as the electronics support platform. The piston control module can be seen on the aft side of the bulkhead and the receiver on the forward side. The speed controller, pitch controller and missing pulse detector are mounted beneath:

One of these days, I need to finish that article for the [i[SCR[/i]!!

-enjoy,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:32 pm

I may not look impressed with what Gail is showing me in that image but don't kid yourself -- I was! Wayne is not exaggerating. It was overwhelming all the good ideas, and excellent work, that Gail laid out for us. He's going to have one fine Type XXI.

And I've been drawn over to the dark side: piston tank for my Disney Nautilus.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Gail,

I'm simply awestruck by your work! You are a true master craftsman!

Sometime I've got to make it over to the Houston area to visit you and Paul and Wayne. Once a year just doesn't cut it!

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby PaulC » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:06 am

Just say the word, Carl. We'd love to have you!
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:49 am

Oh sure, you boys just leave me over here drooling and jabbering on the other side of the major North American mountain range while you all (excuse me, "y'all") get together for a good time!

Kidding. You go, guys! And keep up with the reports!

Meanwhile, I'm really posting to say this: congrats to both Wayne and Carl on their Gatos -- especially Carl, whose purchase was a very long time in coming. Now he's really got something worthy to tackle. I'm pleased for and proud of you both, guys. Carl, now perhaps you can ditch that old SSY 1/96 version, eh?

Your LaLa Land Five'r shipmate,
Jeff

P.S. Tom doesn't frighten me with his Kilo antics. I alone hold the secrets to upgrading a small Manley WTC for fully reliable performance. Brouhahahahahah! Blueback will be in YOUR baffles, pal!
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:01 am

Thanks, Paul!

I'll try and let you know when I've got an open weekend!

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby Wayne Frey » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:12 am

Be advised. Yet another Gato keel has reported to have been laid. Now Gail has a Gato kit!! That one will for sure hit the water, not sit in a box!!
Good times!
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubRon5