Banner Ad 1

1/32 OTW type VIIc

Static Submarine modelers unite!

1/32 OTW type VIIc

Postby robotz » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:46 pm

Good afternoon! A while back I purchased a OTW 1/32 type VIIc and it's been a real pleasure so far. I've been taking pics as it comes up, and have been bouncing off Jeff LaRue (endlessly!) and he's been a great help.
I'm building it "strictly static only", which might bother a few of you but I'd
just hate to see all my hard work end up sunk or damaged by some clown who isn't paying attention. So far I've got the hull slots cut in (I made a pattern for the ~200 some slots..) the tower mostly completed, as well as alot of other stuff. The OTW "kit" is simply top of the line and
more than I could have ever hoped for. If anyone might be interested in seeing it, please post a note. Otherwise I'll come and go lookng for info as I have been doing. I have a 1/32 Nautilus as well- it's posted on the Disney sub site..also strictly static display... Thanks and I'll be looking forward to visiting your site again. Brian
robotz

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:35 pm

Hey, Brian...

Glad to see you made it here. I'm sure that I speak for everyone when I ask you to post photos of your progress. If your Nautilus is any indication, the Type VII that you put together will be a piece of art!

Share!

Bob
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:42 pm

No damage from RC that isn't worth it anyway for the joy of seeing it really function.

We'll get to you. Bit by bit. Break you down. And make you RC. Well convince you anyway. LOL!!

Lets see it. then you need to see a bunch of video of these boats RC. Resistance is futile!

Welcome aboard,

Steve
U812

Hi Bob... Steve.. good to be aboard...

Postby robotz » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:09 pm

Thanks Bob.. I'll give it my best... I've thought about Rc'ing it, but I want it all nice and pristine, not banged up and in the garage, but you are free to try anyway. :D yea, the Nautilus did turn out nice... I had some friends over and they mentioned the posted pics didnt do justice- they might be right. Whats the best bet for posting pics here?.. How is that done? I've got a few ..wink I've only been playing with it since August..heheee Once I've got the drift how to post pics watch out, I take pics at every step... FWIW- I've also had dealings with Lee Upshaw. I had some issues, he tried to help, but we parted as good friends- all over a course of a few months. He tries- all I can say on it. I'd do business again, but only if it was in stock- I'm just that kinda guy, no reflection on him or the postings here. Lets get underway eh??
robotz

Postby robotz » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:01 pm

I've sent some pics to Jeff (for him to post) showing the flooding vents and the tower "build". They should be posted shortly. I gotta give it to Steve Sinkwich.. these tower "after market parts" are awesome. The 304 stainless screen material on the top of the vents is found at Mc Master Carr p/n- 85385T851 @ $9.50 per 12" x 12" sheet.
Form Woven Wire Cloth, Square/Rectangle Size .032", Mesh Per Inch (Medium) 20 x 20, Wire Diameter .018" ... I like it!! Enjoy the pics.....
I'm an engineer! I can break that and have the tools to make it better.
robotz

lets give it a try

Postby robotz » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:34 pm

heres a few shots.. if it's not done right, I'll do better next time- enjoy

robotz

looks good.. lets try it again...

Postby robotz » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:40 pm

here's a few more...it's coming along decently eh??

robotz

Postby Mylo » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:30 pm

Fantastic job. A guy has NO CHOICE but to love those OTW U-Boats.

Mylo
"I don't have anything else planned for this afternoon." - Lt. Col J.O.E. Vandeleur

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

cant get enough eh?? :-)

Postby robotz » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:08 pm

Would you like to see some pics of the 66" nautilus I finished recently, or should that be on another thread?? ( I like it!!) :wink:
robotz

Postby Rick » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:07 pm

Bring em on!!!!
Rick

Postby tabledancer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:18 am

Everything looks just great :) ,but I have just one question,are you going to open up the flood grates on the underside of the hull fore and aft.
TD :wink:
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Postby PaulC » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:16 am

Welcome aboard the SC, Brian!

Your Type VII looks to be up to your usual high standards. Excellent job.

Brian has been a major player over at disneysub.com for the last two years. He's contributed wonderful things to the Nautilus community including a laser cut wooden deck kit for the 1/32 wheelhouse. His static display Custom Replica's Nautilus is a wonderful build. Yes, we definitely need more picures of it over here.

I look forward to following your progress on the OTW boat.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

It's been a while, excuse me for not posting "as I go&a

Postby robotz » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:18 pm

Well, I've been busy. The tower railing is now 99% completed and in my opinion it turned out pretty decent. There are tricks to this, thats for sure- hopefully the pictures will illustrate what I went through. (whoa!) The interior wood pieces were custom cut from .015 thick basswood- actually, (2) different widths, staggered in position) These days, the seats around the railing are placed, but it didnt make it into these shots. Enjoy and please feel free to comment!

oh!! the little red and white accent tape is called "chartpack", and it comes in all kinds of widths and colors.. I was looking for some painting tape, and found it in my box of goodies.. looks like a nice touch to me!
The emblem on the face of the tower is part of the etched brass detailing parts.. I think it's supposed to be used on the display stand, but I like it there.. heheee

robotz

I've been busy

Postby robotz » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:12 pm

I've been busy messing and a-playing... THAT, and hunting for some torpedos... darn it.. I can't get a reply from anyone- SOOoooooooooooo I made my own.. not too shabby if I say so myself... next up.. dim blue lighting from the inside thru all 300 some flooding vents.. whew.. what a pain! hahaa
her's what the 'pedo's look like..

robotz

Re: I've been busy

Postby sam reichart » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:35 pm

robotz wrote:I've been busy messing and a-playing... THAT, and hunting for some torpedos... darn it.. I can't get a reply from anyone- SOOoooooooooooo I made my own.. not too shabby if I say so myself... next up.. dim blue lighting from the inside thru all 300 some flooding vents.. whew.. what a pain! hahaa
her's what the 'pedo's look like..

Looking really good robotz.

are those torpedo tailfeathers metal/machined?
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Static Modeler