Banner Ad 1

Building a Rick Teskey 16 inch FS-1 hull

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Building a Rick Teskey 16 inch FS-1 hull

Postby bcliffe » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:05 pm

Well folks, my furniture building exercise in the basement is starting to wind down, so it's about time to move onto my next project. A 16 inch FS-1 Flying Submarine from RJT SubDivision (aka Rick Teskey)

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/rjtsubdivision/index.html

With two kids at home, and a wife who works, this will probably be a slow build thread ... but the thread will hopefully force me to continue work on the project.

Rick currently makes a 16 inch and 24 inch version of this hull, while talking to him on the phone yesterday he indicated that he was heading back out to the shop to tackle the 18 inch version of the hull. The 16 inch version is a tight fit for equipment, so this model will be made up as a dynamic diver.

The flying sub performes very well as a dynamic diver as can be seen from video I have taken of Rick's sub in action.

http://www.bcliffe.com/subs/video/FlyingSub-1.wmv (5.3 Megs)
http://www.bcliffe.com/subs/video/chap_FlyingSub.wmv(22 Megs)

Locally I have 2 resources to help me with this project who have the built the 16 inch FS-1, Rick and Ted.

Rick's FS-1

Ted's FS-1

I am also getting some help from the "virtual" Dave Merriman via his write up of building a 24 inch FS-1 at:

http://www.culttvman.com/david_merriman_s_flying_sub_pr.html

and a more detailed build via the Culttvman video done by Mr. Merriman.

*note if you like the cabal reports you really have to get the above DVD as well as

at http://www.culttvman.biz/ both are quite excellent resources.

I had the pleasure of seeing Dave's 24 inch FS-1 (and Dave too) at last years subregatta, and was able to get a couple of photo's.

and the "family" photo

My FS-1 was delivered just last week, and here is what the hull looks like right out of the box ...

Rick provides some detail parts with the kit as well, and I already had 4 bilge pumps to act as thrusters for this project.

Hopefully the planning for this project should wrap up by the end of this month, and the real work should start next month. Till then Samantha and I are continuing our research on the suject. (watching some Vogage to the Bottom of the Sea, as well as Dave's videos)

Cheers
BC
What goes down, must come up .... eventually !
bcliffe

Postby bcliffe » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:59 am

Progress Report: April 1st (2007) - No this is not an April Fools joke, I actually got some work done.

Over the last couple of weeks I have managed to find some time to put holes in the model, trim out a couple of pieces, and add some primer. The majority of the electronics have been acquired (with the exception of batteries). I have elected to try a V-Tail Mixer (actually an Mtronic Tank Mixer) to Mix the ESC’s that control the 4 thrust motors (bilge pumps). I opted for the Mtronic Tank Mixer as it was a) waterproof, and b) designed to control ESC’s.

The mixer itself is hard to see, it about the size of a quarter and is plugged in between the receiver and ESC’s.

As I will be using 4 thruster motors, I require the front vents to be able to pass water. I cut out the etched vents provided with the hull and am in the process of making up real vents out of brass.

I wasn’t 100% sure what to do about the windows. I wanted the look and feel of a mirrored window, but I also wanted the rigidity the hull offered by not cutting out the window wells. Remember the purpose of this model is for anybody to take the helm while at the cottage (including my 3 year old daughter), so it’s going to take some bumps and groundings. Basically I want it to be “Strong like Bull”. For this reason I have been toying with the idea of leaving the wells in place, covering the inside of the window with waterproof tinfoil duct tape, and using a thin acrylic sheet to give it a glass effect.

Here’s what it looks like …

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will finish the vents, spot putty a couple of areas and do a final primer coat. Stay Tuned !

Cheers
BC
bcliffe

Postby Sub culture » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:22 am

Looking good there!

How about glassing in some chrome plated aluminium pieces- should make it bomb proof, and look trick.

Can you tell me a little bit more about the mixer. Does it put one motor into reverse at any point when mixing the channels for steering?

I'd be surprised if it does- won't work very well with centrifugal pumps!

Also does it use exponential?
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby bcliffe » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:31 am

Sub culture wrote:Looking good there!
Can you tell me a little bit more about the mixer. Does it put one motor into reverse at any point when mixing the channels for steering?

I'd be surprised if it does- won't work very well with centrifugal pumps!

No pumps are put in reverse, but other pumps are activated. The layout would look something like ...

Basically diodes are put in line with the power leads of the bilge pumps. That will control what pump fires when the ESC it is connected to is either outputs a forward or reverse power supply to the pump.

So your control layout should be ..
TX stick straight forward should make both rear pumps operate.
TX stick forward to the right make left rear pump operate.
TX stick center to the right make left rear pump and right forward pump operate.
TX stick straight back should make both forward pumps operate.
... and on and on ...

Cheers
BC
Last edited by bcliffe on Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcliffe

Postby Sub culture » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:47 pm

Ah I see. Good idea with the diodes, hadn't thought of that.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby bcliffe » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:14 pm

Andy,

Neither did I, but fortunately Dave Merriman did.

Cheers
BC
bcliffe

Postby bcliffe » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:42 pm

Vents were made and installed over the weekend ...

bcliffe

Postby bcliffe » Thu May 03, 2007 12:16 pm

WooHoo ... Ted gave me a present, I have lights and thruster rings !!

Ted showed up at our last Timmie's outing with a present for me, check these out ...

Looks like I have all the fittings for the front now ... time to work on the back and the inside.

Added the thruster rings to the stern ..

Cheers
BC
bcliffe

Return to Television and Movie Submarines