Banner Ad 1

Periscope Heights

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Periscope Heights

Postby Big Jim » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:01 pm

On U.S. WWII Fleet subs, how high do the periscopes extend above the top of the support structure when raised and lowered?
Big Jim
SubCommittee Member

Periscope Heights

Postby Mkeatingss » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:09 pm

Periscope height is measured from the keel to the tip of the mast, and is given on the "Ships Plans Booklet, available from Floating Drydock. All I have, at this time, is the figures for Guppys. Which should, but I can't guarantee, be the same as the "as built" version of the boats.
Mike K.
I don't suffer from ulcers, I'm a carrier.
Mkeatingss

Postby Boss subfixer » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:19 pm

Big Jim,
Try looking here http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/pscope/index.htm It may answer your questions or spark more. Hope this helps.
Don
Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Put your heart into it, well done is better than well said... Ben Franklin
Boss subfixer

Postby jaschwink » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:06 am

According to most references that I've seen, the WW II perscopes were 40' tall. Most books describe periscope depth at around 64' from the keel, giving a couple of feet of the scope above the surface.

I used those dimensions when I positioned my attack scope in the up position on my Silversides. Measuring from the top of the scope downward, I figured the bottom of the scope inside the conning tower would be at about eye level for a scale person inside. That height also gives me enough scope height to cruise at periscope depth with only the top of the scope protruding above the surface.

In the down position, the top of the scopes just disappear into the shears. Hope that helps.

jaschwink
jaschwink

Fleet Submarine Periscope Heights

Postby RickNelson » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:54 pm

Hi Big Jim,

The WWII Fleet Submarine circa 1944-45 had two periscopes which were not the same. First of all, they were of different heights when fully extended. The forward most periscope refered to a the #1 'scope was a Type IV Night periscope and was the shorter of the two. The next periscope in line was the #2 'scope and was a Type II Attack periscope. Attack 'scopes differ in that they have a minimum head diameter. Both periscopes had a lower outer tube diameter of 7 1/2 inches.

The Type IV Night 'scope had two windows, the upper window was at an angle of 17 1/2 degrees and the lower window was vertical. The Type IV also had provisions for a ST radar antenna inside of its head. The 7 1/2 inch outer tube was 29 1/4 feet long with a 5' 9" taper to 3 3/4 inches in diameter. On top of this is a 15 inch tall head that houses the two windows and antenna. This adds up to an overall length of approx. 36 feet.

The Type II Attack 'scope has a single window at a 22 degree angle. The 7 1/2 outer tube is 34 feet long with a 5' 6" taper to 1.414 inch diamenter. On top of this is a 5 3/4 inch head that houses the single window. This adds up to an overall lenght of approx. 40 feet.

The USS Cod has both of its periscopes fully raised (well, they did at one time) and I got photos and measurements that show that the #2 Attack 'scope height above the top of the periscope sheers is 236 inches. The photos do show the 4 foot difference in height between the two scopes.
Rick Nelson

Qualified in Submarines 1965
SCM #2583

"D..n the pressure, Six-Zero feet!"
"Most men would rather die than think, Most of them do!" - Bertrand Russell
"Boomers hide with Pride"
RickNelson

Return to Static Modeler