Banner Ad 1

Barnstormer Boats 1/20th Type II

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Barnstormer Boats 1/20th Type II

Postby silent runner » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:44 am

Started this build a couple of months ago. Tim at Barnstormer Boats has made quite a few improvements to this hull since I bought mine (ebay).

This is a basic hull only, R&L halves, conning tower halves, and resin cast appendages. I only have the halves joined at this time and started work on the WTC. Will run 2 Engel tanks, Astro-Flight geared motors. This was a good excuse to finally get that F-14 radio as well. Due to me recently selling my home of 30 years, I now have everything packed and ready to move to , nice small house with big sub shop. More to follow later.

MikeImage
The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign that the conspiracy is working.
silent runner
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:17 am

Wow - looks like a nice big model. Will the two Engle tanks have enough volume to get it far enough up in the water?
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby silent runner » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:47 pm

TMSmalley wrote:Wow - looks like a nice big model. Will the two Engle tanks have enough volume to get it far enough up in the water?

Tim,

This is the 'great experiment' for me. Yes, I believe the twin tanks will have sufficient volume. Although it is a massive hull at 80" LOA, there isn't as much room inside as one would think. My primary ballast is 2 12v 12Ah gelcells, plus what lead I will need in the keel. Building my WTC is a challenge, and it may take a while, but I am determined to make it work. I feel that if Engel can get the new Type VII to operate with 2 tanks, I can get this one to work as well.

Mike
The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign that the conspiracy is working.
silent runner
SubCommittee Member

Postby STARK » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:19 pm

I know you can Mike, the problem you will have is the weight difference between the two kit's. The Barnstormers boat is so heavy compared to Engal VII, it is not the lenght.

Hey Mike did a box get their today?

Brian
STARK

Postby silent runner » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:47 pm

Brian,
Actually, the weight difference is opposite. This Type II hull is very light, not near the thickness of the Engel boat.

Mail hasen't come yet. :shock:

Mike
silent runner
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:12 pm

Can't wait to see how it goes.
Please post your progress on the "Builder threads"!
Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:49 am

ARe you using a photoetched deck?

If so, that'll buy you a bit of ballast tank volume.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:46 pm

Nice Virginia Class in the background, Mike. ;-)

This new model is huge! You'll have to make a trip to the ocean to run that thing. Keep the build pics coming.

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby silent runner » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:53 pm

Pirate wrote:Nice Virginia Class in the background, Mike. ;-)

This new model is huge! You'll have to make a trip to the ocean to run that thing. Keep the build pics coming.

Pete

Thanks Pete! Yeah, that is a very nice Virginia kit :lol:
There just may be a build article in a future SCR on this kit designed by...........Pete!

Mike
silent runner
SubCommittee Member

Postby Mike Dory » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:45 pm

Mike -- Just for comparision, When I was building my 1/32 scale Type 1X (That's 8ft long) I found I needed every bit of 4, 750 M/L engle pumps to bring it to the right surfaced waterline height. Now your boat is some what shorter but your going to be raising it some what higher out of the water too. Just a thought. Best Wishes on your project. I look forward to see it run. Mike Dory
Mike Dory

Postby Himszy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:44 pm

Appreciate the input Mike! I'm using Engel 825's, which still may be questionable, so have inquired to Engel the possiblity of building me a couple of 1200's. Have not heard back yet.
Thanks for the supports guys.

Mike

Guess I'll reply in this thread....... :D

Mike, why not just extend them yourself? All you have to do is increase the tubing, threaded rod and brackets. The controller and all the 'complex bits' are the same....(Unless you want to lower the fill/empty time as you'll have a greater capacity)

Michael
Himszy

Return to Builder Threads