Banner Ad 1

After Action Report SubRon6 Fall Fun Run

Midwest US Local Chapter - Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, and Wisconsin.

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:32 pm

Tim,

Many thanks for the DDG-51 information. Easily my favorite 'target'.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby jaschwink » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:33 pm

Guys:

Looks like you all had a great time running subs while I was busy at my daughter's wedding in Panama City, FL. I must admit that the location was very nice.

Following the ceremony, on the next day, I managed to drive over to Mobile and view the USS Drum. The stern is disappearing, I presume from corrosion.

My boat Silversides will be ready for the Winter Fun Run. Had it out and, for the first time, had some great running underwater and at periscope depth. I am slowly starting to master running an Engel boat. See you In February......

jaschwink
jaschwink

Postby bob_eissler » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Jeff, my Type 23 was Darrin's that was in the build thread on Subpirates. I believe he is selling the hulls for it if you are looking. I have a 3" WTC from Big Dave, but I would strongly recommend a 2.5" one like Merriman is developing for the Gato. Same reasons, The boat needs lots of keel weight to counter that large conning tower, there is little room in the hull to add foam. Use a push-push connection on the linkages or you will have trouble connecting them whenever you remove the WTC, no room down there with foam in the way.
Bob
bob_eissler
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jeffrey J » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:14 pm

Thanks Bob for the info. I have a 32nd XXIII, I just pulled out the original box "WTC" that came with it, it was installed when I got the sub, but looked really rough. I cut the back out of it to get the motor out, and remove it from the model, its ballast system is a one of a kind Im sure that 32nd came up with, a very unique design, and kind of scary! I might try to redo and re use the box. After seeing the turnout, and all the XXIII's , It gave me the boost I need to get back at it. I've had the sub a couple years now and really have not done anything other than fix some small details on it. The only place I will run this one will be in a pool or Carmel, I am going to keep it simple, and run it only where I won't loose it. My other subs have the fail safe's etc.. thansk alot, Jeff JOnes
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby Jeffrey J » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:18 pm

hey Bob, there is a photo of it on my home page
http://www.subcommittee.com/SubComm....rID=240

The other type XXIII is a scratch built one I did in 1/24th scale, I sold it a while back like a moron,,, errrr,,,, Jeff J
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby HM3 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:46 am

I just wanted to say that the run was really fantastic. Everyone was very welcoming and I felt right at home. Thanks to all of you for being really great to a newbie. I felt like kind of a dip showing up without a boat to put in the water but am working to rectify that situation. Here's some of my pics from the run.

I really wish I had arrived early enough to see this one in the water. What a beautiful model. I can't imagine how much work Chris put into this.

This Uboat has a wonderful paintjob on it. I only hope that I can do as well on my boat. Nicely done Bob.

Tom's very nice running Skipjack. I want a motor like his in my Albacore. :)

I don't have any pics of the Delphin but it looked like a really fun boat to drive. I'd love to be able to make a little fun one like that for my wife. Then maybe I could get her out to join us.

Can't wait for the run in February. Not that I'll have my boat ready for sea trials or anything :P.
HM3

Postby hampboats » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:36 pm

Boss subfixer wrote:Tim,
Looks like you guys had a great day. Thanks for posting pictures for us.
I couldn't help but notice Dave Hamptons boat stand. It looks as though it not only holds the boat upright for display but also on various angles to work on it. Interesting design.
Don

I can't take credit for the boat stand. A member of our club made them. Each of the hull supports is custom made to fit specific boats. You are then able to rotate the whole boat 90 degrees either way.
Dave Hampton
Indy Admirals
www.indyadmirals.org
hampboats
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to SubRon6