SubRegatta Timing - Consider a Different Time of Year

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby Virg » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Right on, Pete!!!! I'm with ya kiddo. :p

Virgil
Virg
SubCommittee Member

Postby hampboats » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:57 pm

Just some other thoughts - years ago we always held our regattas in Sept usually the third week, before St Louis moved theirs to Sept. It sometimes rained and we had to deal with the bees.
We are used to it, so any date you choose will work.
:cool:
Dave Hampton
Indy Admirals
www.indyadmirals.org
hampboats
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:39 pm

JWLaRue wrote:One of the mysteries of the SubCommittee is that while the largest number of members reside in California, there hasn't been much in the way of 'organization'.

To me, a west coast SubRegatta is a must!

-Jeff

I have enough to do these days to take on such a task but there are plenty out here who could I would imagine.

As far as Carmel is concerned I'll never get there. This homeland security bull has gone too far for me. So I placed myself mentally on the no fly list. I made it to 54. Why risk it if I don't have too! LOL!!!

Besides after seeing what those brain dead security people did to Brian's boat I'll never get on a plane with a sub let alone a suit case. Plus I don't like being treated as guilty until proven innocent!

So if anyone out here has any ideas I will help you. WE have the best possible lake at Hanson Dam. Not the toilet. Balboa Lake. Hanson has clear water and not sewer water as does Balboa. Life guards at Hanson will dive for your lost boats too. Lots of parking, bathrooms and hotels all around.

Weather? Ha! It's Socal!

Like a said. If anyone wants to take it on I'll help.

Steve
U812

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:45 pm

Thanks Steve - we have officially set SubRegatta 2007 for Carmel, but please (PLEASE!) somebody volunteer for 2008.

Anyway whomever runs the regatta, there should be one of the coordinators who has been to at least one SubRegatta so they have a handle on what happens when. John Schagane and I willl be happy to help out with the pre-regatta stuff (at least as much stuff to do than in the actual weekend - maybe more!)

We also need to have it during the summertime when the kids are out of school. That's pretty much of a deal breaker as well.

John and I talked to Chris and Dave this weekend at the SubRon6 fun run last weekend and they are going to check for availabilities for 2007 summer weekends. Stay tuned!

Also we will need speakers for the Saturday Night Seminar so think about that as well. Don't volunteer someone unless you have talked to them first :;): New presenters are welcome and encouraged!

Note - the city just installed a very nice statue as part of the memorial to veterans at the pond. - Here's a shot

***And Steve - Don't be afraid to fly to the regatta with a sub. Several guys did it both in '05 and '06 with no ill effects to their subs. You just need a good carrier (like a fiberglass golf club case like Rick Galinson uses for his visible sub or a Plano bow case like Tom Dye uses for his Skipjack (see pic below). You can't bring a huge model, but the smaller ones are fine. I have carried my Small World Models Blueback to and from California after Sept 11 as carry on in a PVC pipe even though with the conning tower removed it looked exactly like an artillery shell on the color xray machine. I just told the TSA X-ray guy what it was. He just said "Cool, does it really dive?"

Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby tknofile » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:46 pm

Hi everyone,
I'd just like to put in my vote, er, my WIFE's vote for another weekend. Our anniversary is July 30th and she ALLOWS me to go just about every other year. If we did it on another weekend that would help me out alot. I never brought it up before since I'm just one guy out of the whole group. I think we should make this a more widely known issue and see what the masses think.

Anyway, hope everyone's well. Hope to see you next year.

-Rick Galinson
tknofile

Postby tknofile » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:05 am

Hey Steve,
As one of the "busy" californians out here, I'd like to throw my hat in the mix for helping with a west coast regatta. I think we could generate a lot of interest with all the Los Angeles based RCers.

The real target is the public at large who aren't into planes/cars already. I think we get more people turned onto subs who just walk by a regatta by accident. Lake Balboa, albeit a cespit, would get a lot of press(with a few phone calls) and a ton of walk-bys. I haven't been to hanson dam but have always wanted to. Would it get alot of walk-by traffic? Just a thought.

Please email me so we can talk more.
tknofile@adelphia.net

-Rick Galinson
tknofile

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:40 am

tknofile wrote:Hi everyone,
I'd just like to put in my vote, er, my WIFE's vote for another weekend.

Hi Rick - it definitely won't be on the last weekend of July in 07 due to the Brickyard 500 auto race being on that weekend. It would make hotel rooms nearly impossible. Chris Campbell from the Indy Admirals boat club is exploring a few dates for us. Hopfully we will have something soon.

Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas