Banner Ad 1

SubRegatta Timing - Consider a Different Time of Year

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby Jeffrey J » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:58 pm

2 thumbs up for Carmel ! J.Jones
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby Crazy Ivan » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:37 pm

I'll second that, and I'm sure you will hear the same from the rest of the 8-Balls! :) :)
George "Crazy Ivan" Protchenko

“There are the assassins, the dealers in death; I am the Avenger!”-Nemo
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request; means No!"-Capt.Barbossa
Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby Larry Kuntz » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:40 pm

I'll third that. ???
It is a great spot. 2 thumbs up.....
:)
Larry Kuntz
SubRon8
ImageImage
Larry Kuntz
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:17 pm

Chris,

I too am very much in favor of the Carmel site. If the Admirals and the local SubRon folks are game for a third year....go for it!

As for dates, I think that unless a week near the current end of July is chosen, then we're going to run into kids-in-school problems.

I'd much rather see us move to something like the weekend after Labor Day. The heat is a real detriment to enjoying the regatta!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby subdude » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:41 am

Carmel forever, as far as I'm concerned.

As to dates, I'm really pretty open. However, as Jeff has said, if you go before mid June or after mid August, you're into kids in school issues. I know I missed a lot of stuff when my kids were in school because of that.

Either way, if I'm not pushing posies, I'll be there.

Jim
Underwater, the ONLY way to fly!

SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time)
subdude
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:03 am

Interesting phrasing there Big Guy!! :p
Carmel works for me! :cool: :cool: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:04 am

Carmel-yes. Let me know how I can help Chris and Tim.

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tommydeen » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:23 am

I'm in for Carmel again guys, great folks, great place,great fun
I do have a question/request for you Tim. is there any way
that the fountain can be turned off during the regatta?
when the fountain is on the boats kinda have the rubber-duckie-in-the-tub look if yha know what i mean :D
Tom
Tommydeen
SubCommittee Member

Postby jaschwink » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:27 am

Since I started all of the comments, I'll vote for Carmel in mid to late June. It will be warm , but has a chance of not being ugly hot. I agree with Chris, we need to pick the place and date, and then get busy getting our boats ready!!!!!

jaschwink

PS: Thanks to Chris and the Indy Admirals for all of their work in making the Subregatta's a great event.
jaschwink

Postby aeroengineer1 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:03 pm

I guess that I would like it a bit later. I get out of school mid may and hence I would only have the winter time to build. Just a thought.

Adam
aeroengineer1

Postby U812 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:24 pm

Will we ever have a big regatta in Southern California? Not summer either. This time of year is the best. Cool weather and little if any rain. I feel like the lone gunman out here.

Steve
U812

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:45 pm

One of the mysteries of the SubCommittee is that while the largest number of members reside in California, there hasn't been much in the way of 'organization'.

To me, a west coast SubRegatta is a must!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:49 pm

The "fountain" is really an aeration device and part of the filtration system

This is explained in my SR writeup in the current SCR, but for those who haven't had a chance to see it yet --- Keeping a large artificial water body nice and clear is tricky business. The park manager explained to us last summer that the fountain has to stay switched on. It really is more for aeration and circulation for the filtering system than it is for it's aesthetic aspects.

In times of warm weather, the pond will get completely out of whack and the algae will run amok if the pumps are off even for a few hours in the daytime.
Speaking of the SubRegatta, here is a soapbox item from the "Ask not what the SubCommittee can do for you" department...

It appears that most of the folks would like to go back to Carmel next year. The Indy Admirals and SubRon6 have once again stepped up to the plate and said they would do it.

We'll solicit advice from the Admirals members as to the best time to have our event. Besides toasty weather to worry about, hotel room availability can be dicey in the Indy area due to events at the Brickyard and the myriad conventions that come to this beautiful area. We will get with Chris Campbell of the Admirals this weekend at the SubRon6 fun run and see what he thinks would be an appropriate weekend.

More volunteer workers to do the heavy lifting before, during and after the regatta would be appreciated, too. We get lots of people before an event like this saying "I'm in", or "what can I do" or have ideas about how to do the show, but are nowhere to be seen when it comes time to be at the pond at 6 AM to set up tents and tables, run power cables, sell tickets during the show, ask vendors for prize donations before the event, make name badges, man the SC booth, sell tee shirts, judge events, set up the chairs in the room for the SubSeminar etc, etc.

With only few guys to do the work, you pretty much have to assume that if you are really involved - your playtime is going to be limited. I had about 15 minutes to run my sub on Sunday of the show - and I felt a little guilty about taking that time. Most of the workers didn't even get a chance to do that.

However, if we could get more guys working next year, there would be more playtime for all and maybe the current workers wouldn't get burned out and Carmel can remain available as the SubRegatta venue.

{secure from rant!} :laugh:
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:43 pm

Maybe the fountain waves could be lessened by putting some of those styrafoam tubes you play in the water with as booms anchored around the fountain.
Leaving gaps so the water could flow out but anchored solid enough not to bob with the wave action.
Sorry I wont be there early to set them up.

-Scott
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:43 pm

And Tim,
Maybe you could make the wind stop so there's even less waves, and make sure there are just enough clouds to give nice shade, but no rain. Definitely no rain. And temperatures between 70-75, no colder or warmer, that would ruin the whole thing. And there must not be too much pollen in the air because that would irritate the hay fever.

While we're at it, let's find a clearer, larger, more inviting place to run in general.

Come on already! We got it so good there and there's still complaining? How about instead of a few waves making your boat bob up and down, there was a one onch layer of algae and muck that won't wash off of your boat, like at most ponds in the summer. And when you go under yoour boat disapears in the mucky bottom, never to be seen again.

Get real!

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas