Banner Ad 1

SubRegatta Timing - Consider a Different Time of Year

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby jaschwink » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:05 pm

It has now been a little over a month since the SubRegatta, and I have been watching for anyone else to bring up the topic of considering a change for the dates to be during a more temperate time of the year. Not having seen such comments, I will fire off the first shot.

Having the SubRegatta in the Midwest at the end of July makes about as much sense as having it there in January. The Midwest in July-August is going to be hot and humid, and this year the weatherperson on the local TV station described it as "Horrible."

Now I know that we have held the SubRegatta at roughly the same time since ??????? Maybe July in New England is OK, but having it in the Midwest at that time is almost a guarantee of having conditions that are less than pleasant. I know there is no such thing as a perfect time that will satisfy everybody, but MAYBE we should give thought to changing the dates to somewhere around this weekend, Labor Day. At least we have a chance of having something other than muggid.

I know there are also good reasons why we shouldn't try for different dates, but I don't think a requirement from the git-go is that the likelihood for really hot and humid conditions is a necessity for having a SubRegatta. What about trying to move the event to a more enjoyable time of year if the SubRegatta is going to be in Carmel?

OK. There, I've done it. I await everyone's comments.

jaschwink
jaschwink

Postby jaschwink » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:13 pm

Topic should be "SubRegatta Timing." I was only one letter off.....

jaschwink
jaschwink

Postby Jeffrey J » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:30 pm

Ok Jim,
your going to catch he11 over this topic, but I agree with you. That is one of the reasons actually the main reason we didn't attend this year. We would of had to bring the new baby with us, and my wife didn't want to sit in the hotel all day with the baby by herself, she likes the show and talking to people too. This is the only reason the St.Louis Model Boat show was moved to Sept. the "freakin" heat. But this isn't our deal and I could hardly ask to have the date moved for personal reasons as this. However, I for one would second your idea. Ok everyone, go easy on us.,, lol Jeff Jones
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:59 pm

You'll get no "heat" from me guys! :;):

As far as I am concerned - it depends on who is doing the event and where it is going to be held. There is nothing in stone that the SubRegatta has to be on a particular weekend.

In fact, if it is in Carmel again next year it COULDN'T be on the traditional last weekend in July due to the Brickyard 500 auto race moving to that date - that event adversly effects hotel prices and vacancies.

When we figure out who is doing it, we will try to pick a few summer dates and poll the last two year's attentees (I have your email addresses) and this message board to see which weekend is most popular.

I personally don't like holiday weekends due to heavier and more dangerous traffic conditions for those who have long drives, gas prices are always mysteriously higher, airports are NUTS for those that fly, etc, etc, because EVERYBODY travels on those weekends.

On the other hand, the weekend after a summer holiday weekend is often better for travel - lower gas prices, less traffic, more and cheaper hotel vacancies, etc.

Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby aeroengineer1 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:41 pm

As long as it is in the window of the summer break I am happy. That would be from mid May to late August. For those that are in school still, that is about the only time that is available. And considering that I would like to make is some time in the next 3 years, I hope that it will be in that window. Heck, one of the largest airshows in the world is held end of July to beginning of August in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. I was there when it was in the 100's and some years it was in the mid 80's. I think that the Midwest is just that way, unpredictable.

Adam
aeroengineer1

Postby Jeffrey J » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:19 pm

hey Adam, Tim,
This is a good point Adam brought up and something I didn't think of, the fact that some of the guys have kids in school other than the summer months. When ever it is, I will be planning on making it, and giving a hand with those many, many tables... e-gads. Baby will be 1 1/2 years by then and I will leave her and momma at home for that weekend. Shouldn't be too much to ask, can't believe I had to miss this one... errrrr,,,,, and the heat really don't bother me, just good to get outside. Hey Jim, if you get over heated I can always take care of your fleet boat for you... thanks Jeff Jones
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:24 pm

Yepper - that is a given. The "Big Show" should be in summer when the kids are out of school. Even though children are out of school on weekends, folks that drive a distance must leave home on Friday or even Thursday to get to the venue in time.
And there's no surprize about heartland USA being hot between July 1 and Sept 1. :cool: :laugh:
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby STARK » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:47 pm

I like the May to mid June ! good for the kids, not to hot , and the really BIG DEAL , I dont haft to wait a hole year to go again !!! :D Brian
What one Man can do, You can do too!

http://forum.model-marina.com/
STARK

Postby U812 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:25 am

Darn I hate hot weather as I sit in front of my AC in LA at 9 pm.

But I'd just like to get there this time. I'm missing out. A long drive from LA too.

But I'm all for cooler weather. After driving that far or taking a train I want to be as comfortable as possible!

Steve
U812

Postby STARK » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:03 am

A Train ride would be nice , have not done that in over thirthy years , I would like to see everybody who wants to go their !! Brian
What one Man can do, You can do too!

http://forum.model-marina.com/
STARK

Postby Desert Boat » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:28 am

Hey ... if you guys want to have fun, we can always hold the Big Show here in the Phoenix Area during a July or August ... temps a little high but the humidity isn't bad and hotel rates are dirt cheap! :cool: :D :p :laugh:
Ray Agee
SCM #2551
Cactus Navy
Tempe, Arizona
Lord ... Shield us from the UltraSensitive!
Desert Boat

Postby jaschwink » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:31 pm

Thanks to all that have responded to the concept of considering a more temporate time for the SubRegatta. I well know that hitting the "perfect" weekend is just about impossible, but July-August in the lower Midwest is generally going to result in a less than comfortable time period.

June might be a good compromise for school and weather. But make that early June. As for the rest of my comments about Carmel, they would all be VERY favorable.

Now all I need is have a boat that behaves...........

jaschwink
jaschwink

Postby Pirate » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:08 pm

I'll tell you guys this, I've lived only 2 hrs. north of Indianapolis for most of my life, and the weather in Indiana can be 90-100 degrees anytime between June 1 to September 15. And it can also be between 55-70. And sometimes on the same day. It's just crazy like that here.

The other thing about May and June is it's tornado season—BIG TIME. Lots of pop-up storms and nasty weather, just like that.

On average it's usually hotter overall in August. The best time would probably be the weekend before or after the 4th of July. But it could still be 95 degrees. I guess you have to accept that you can't just order the weather. But I would never go over a holiday weekend. That's always family time and ditto to what Tim said about it.

There's my three cents. We're at the mercy of those willing to donate their time, whenever they're willing to do it. So get over it.

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby admiralscommander » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:54 pm

There has been talk about what time of year to have the Subregatta. Where to have it needs to be decided first. We would love to have all of you back in Carmel next year if our location is chosen. I think all that attended, had a great time. If there are no objections, we would like to be the host for the Subregatta in 2007. We need to decide soon so that we can pick a weekend and get things rolling. I would like to expand the events around what we do and would like the time to prepare.
Please let our Subcommitte leaders know what your thoughts are.
Thanks,
Chris Campbell
Indy Admirals club president
Subcommittee member
admiralscommander

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:52 pm

Still waiting to hear from anyone...
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas