Banner Ad 1

Revell 1/144 Type VIID U-boat - comments?

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby rmfield » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:46 pm

Hi, all -
I just picked up the (new?) Revell 1/144-scale Type VIID U-boat kit. Looks nice in the box, but then again I'm not normally a submarine kinda modeler. Questions:

1) Does anyone have any general comments about this kit, or know of any reviews?
2) What are the pros/cons of adding railings? In other words, when were railings set up, and when were they not? I can't really see putting up railings when on patrol and a crash dive may be called for at any time, but am interested in others' thoughts.
3) What about drilling out the holes on the hull side? Again, no submariner be I, but I seem to recall reading somewhere about a "false hull" that would be visible behind the holes if they were drilled out. That would call for some thinning and some plasticard work.

Any help or references will be appreciated!
rmfield

Postby STARK » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:05 am

Well I relly Like the kit , it seem to be a scaled down model of the 1/72 TYPE 7 , very detailed ! The railings around the tower were in place at all times . Drilling out the flood holes . For me, I use a 1/8th inch ball dremel burr bit, and remove material from the inside of my models to open up the holes . Then a # 11 xacto blade to trim a fine hole , scuff of any of the left over plastic "fuss" on the inside with a scotch pad or still wool . To aid in my removal of plastic , use a desk lamp, and hold the model up to the light , this helps you to see the holes you are diging out. And as far as I know , their is no inner structure you can buy "yet", but at this scale should not be to hard to make up one .Brian
What one Man can do, You can do too!

http://forum.model-marina.com/
STARK

Postby Joe Ellias » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:40 am

My impression of the kit is that it is outstanding. The detail is excellent, the shape looks great. I cannot speak for the fit as I have not begun to build yet. But I really like the kit and look forward to the release of the Type VIIC version.
Joe
Joe Ellias

Postby Gerwalk » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:38 pm

Finally I was able to obtain one of these beautiful kits. As Stark said it's a reduced version of the 1/72 kit.

I have some questions on the subject:
1) IMO from the many versions offered by the kit the most interesting one is U-217. It has stripes cammo and the 9th flotilla Laughing Swordfish emblem as well!
The problem is the lighter color suggested by Revell seems to be rather strange to me (yes, I've read Martindale's articles...) That is: Metallic Silver!!! IMO it should have been a light grey. Any idea?
Any photograph of this particular boat?

2) The mines delivery system doors (on te lower hull) are represented closed: it would be interesting to have them opened (and laying a mine BTW) but I can't find any reference on how the system worked... The box art shows how the mines were loaded (that's another interesting subject)

Has anyone here any info on this?

Thanks
Pablo
Gerwalk

Return to Static Modeler