Yes, i will attend
55%
No , i will not Attend
18%
don't know yet
27%

Total votes : 11

Postby aquadeep » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:46 am

Hello Stefan ,let me know when you go to the Devils Den,so that I can introduce you to the management and tour the place.Im always game for the Den .subcreator1@aol.comDave
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby wolfsong » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:15 pm

ok guys,

i went ahead and sent jeff an email to get the funsail / regatta published in the september issue of the report.

who want's to get together and meet at devils den?and when.. so we can get things organized ?

stefan
Submariner, qualified in 1990 ,U21 Class 206

Life is Simple.. either you are qualified or you are not ! .. silent service
wolfsong

Postby Al Nuci » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:25 pm

Hi Stefan, If you would like, I wouldn't mind dedicating a Sat or Sun and taking a drive up to personally check out the Den. Taking some pics in addition to those provided on their web site of the accommodations in a info. gathering process may help sell the location to those interested but undecided. Let me know a good time for you and any others interested. Al
Al Nuci

Postby Wilsonsubs » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:05 am

UPDATE:

Gents, as promised I have an update to keep everyone as informed as possible.
A tenative date/time has been suggested for the onsite visit of the Devil's Den as this will include not only recon of the facilities but a meet and greet with the management/staff. Pictures will be taken and put on the forum for all to see.
The Date is NEXT Saturday the 19th about 3pm.
THIS IS STILL PENDING as the Devil's Den folks need to confirm their schedules will allow. I wanted to get this date out to all of you as soon as possible so you could check your schedules as well.
any questions please drop me a line
thanks
Michael
Michael Wilson
Wilsonsubs
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wilsonsubs » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:16 pm

HEY GUYS!
GREAT NEWS!
The ONSITE visit to the Devil's Den has been confirmed with the Manager of the Park.
Paul will be expecting us at 3pm on Saturday the 19th in Williston Florida ( Just south of Gainesville ). If you need directions check out the website link for the park.
http://www.devilsden.com/
I know several of you expressed interest in this visit and I encourage all to join us there for the meeting.
This looks very promising. Please email me or post a response to your intentions to attend.
Once again thanks for your participation.
Michael Wilson
Michael Wilson
Wilsonsubs
SubCommittee Member

Postby wolfsong » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:34 pm

hi mike,

i will be there that morning, latest lunch.
hopefully i can bring my new sub and test it.

do you happened to know, if there are any park-fees to get in and also to run your sub, or will they be waved , if we show our subcomm ID ?

thanks stefan

wolfsong

Postby wolfsong » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:37 pm

reading the webpage, i guess they charge you, if you go diving .. (after your sub ? ) :p

hope don't have to do that

wolfsong

Postby Wilsonsubs » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:24 am

Hello everyone,

My apologies for taking this long for an update on the November Sub Run for DeepSouth. I have been at the mercies of several groups working on my behalf to gather information and details regarding a SubRun location alternative.
I know what you must be thinking - WHAT ALTERNATIVE?
Let me ask for your understanding in this matter while I explain.

The onsite visit to the Devils' Den location returned mixed feelings from the visitors/members of the DeepSouth. I have collected the various responses and after a good deal of consideration the Devil's Den (AT THIS TIME) might not be the best location for this event in November.

So many factors were taken into consideration and the one remaining issue out of our control was the condition of the pond/pool at this time. We have no guarantees that the pond/pool will be in sailable condition by our SubRun date. This might not be the most popular decision but I think looking for an alternative would be in all our best interests.

Since I support looking for another site as an alternative I have shouldered the hunt responsibilities. In so I have recruited the help of several local groups like Chamber of Commerce to help find a suitable place and make appropriate introductions with key people.
At this point we are waiting for responses.

Thank you for your continued patience and understanding.
Sincerely
Michael Wilson
SubCom DeepSouth
Michael Wilson
Wilsonsubs
SubCommittee Member

Postby Al Nuci » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:55 pm

Mike, I would like to personally thank you, and all the folks who were instrumental in gathering the necessary info.needed to make a decision taking into account what was best for all concerned. Best, Al

P.S. If there is anything I can help with, feel free to call on me.
Al Nuci

Postby TMSmalley » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:18 pm

Is there anyplace around Silver Springs? I was down there in '98 for an underwater TV ad shoot and the water was spectacularly clear.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wilsonsubs » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:08 pm

Tim,
outstanding idea. Great minds must think alike because my lovely wife had me pointed in that direction with regard to the florida park systems' springs. We were just going over some of the possibilities this weekend. I am simultaneously applying pressure to the Lake City staff to locate a site that would be along the lines of Carmel in some similar fashions. You guys are really lucky to have such a fine facility as I'm sure you already know. I'm confident we'll get something appropriate in the next couple of weeks. I have received several other ideas and will be checking those locations coming this week as well.

Please stay tuned for more info
Thanks
Michael Wilson
Michael Wilson
Wilsonsubs
SubCommittee Member

Postby wolfsong » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:46 pm

november is getting close and no location decided on as of yet...
myself i thought Devils den is ok,not perfect but ok.. i had fun that day with my boat..
florida springs would be further south and it would be a long drive for folks from GA / SC / AL... who are all in the SubComm deep south..

did anybody considered a big public pool maybe at the Ymca ? for example the one is brunswick, GA has an Olympic size pool..plenty of parking and motels around.. very easy to get to.. if interest i can try to get some info .

regards
Stefan
SubComm Deep South

wolfsong

Postby DEEPDIVE » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:34 pm

Hello fellow Captains,I have just returned from a run at the Devils Den and to my suprise the water has become clearer! The same has happened at my pond ,its the time of year since the algea bloom in early to late summer and now its clearring up nicely.I can see the bottom in about 6 feet.Just to let you all know the status of the pond.I think it will be just fine by November.
And if you realy want cryistal clear natural water that you can take the sub deep then the springs at Gennie campgruond is the best, a great alternative site with all the things we need.And close to Gainsville .For great unerwater photos in the most natural settings Gennie Springs has it all and by november there wont be many snorklers most likely. Also Tim mentioned the Silver Springs, that river is clear and the only place realy suitable for a run is at the head of the spring and that is a resort I would have to ask permition to run there,I go there on my boat but I dont know about RC subs it would be ausome there ,deep beutyfull water and great fasilities but expensive to enter I believe.Well have a good day Dave
DEEPDIVE

Postby g2tiger » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:14 pm

OK guys,

check out my new post on the upcoming regatta at Lake City. You will miss the big event of the fall if you miss the regatta at Lake City.

Charlie

P.S. Devils Den is still on the map but for now Lake city chamber of commerce has been working hard to get us all our hearts desire.

See you there!
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to SubComDeepSouth