Banner Ad 1

Of Ice and Steel - The best fiction sub novel ever!

A discussion forum for books and other printed matter dealing with submarines. Registered forum users are encouraged to submit their own book reviews!

Postby Himszy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:13 pm

Why don't you just order it from the publishers? http://www.leatherneckpublishing.com/Reviews/a3b.htm

I got mine in days, and that was international.

Michael
Himszy

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:44 pm

Tom Dougherty wrote:Yeah, and about 5000 other luminaries in the computer field. Jeff Larue could name many more, I'm sure.

Yup...and don't forget the father of modern computing - Alan Turing. There's a tie into WW2 U-boat history! :)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:05 pm

Question? Do I know how to liven up a thread or what? LOL!

When I was a kid sitting court with Ansel Adams, rockets scientists and physicist and other great intellectuals at the dinner table I use to make such statements then. Screw with their heads and get in trouble. They would get all stirred up and I'd have a good laugh. And yes early Bugs Bunny and Screw Ball Squirrel cartoons were my source of motivation. Aren't I a stinker?

My grandmother worked with him for years. Developed one of the first true color film processes and her husband, my grandfather worked at Berkeley on the nuclear accelerator. He also invented the camera that photographed the first shots of the splitting of an atom.

Jeff. Finish yet? Can't wait to here your take on the book We are offically back on topic.I think.

Steve
U812

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:56 pm

Steve,

....almost finished. I wish work wouldn't keep getting in the way. :)

I'm also taking notes on some questions that I have for Don. :p

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:16 pm

Great Jeff. I loved the ending very much. I think you will too.

Steve
U812

Postby sam reichart » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:58 pm

U812 wrote:Great Jeff. I loved the ending very much. I think you will too.

Steve

Steve-
don't mind saying, I got a little choked up at the ending myself. nice touch. :)
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:15 am

Well Sam I think this book brings out the little kid still in all of us. That little kid still drives us to love these darn boats and build them as models. And to appreciate the ending of Don's book.

Glad you liked it Sam. Now to get the film made. And made good. Not Hollywood.

steve
U812

Postby Tom Dougherty » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:42 am

Glad you liked it Sam. Now to get the film made. And made good. Not Hollywood.

Good luck on that part, and I sincerely mean it! I have heard so many "tales of woe" when the Hollyweird "suits" get involved.

I'm sure David Merriman can regal you with stories of his model work on "Hunt for Red October". And, if you ever compare the classic "Run SIlent, Run Deep" film to the Ned Beach book, the movie looks anemic next to the written word.
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby expfcwintergreen » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:28 am

Tom Dougherty wrote:And, if you ever compare the classic "Run SIlent, Run Deep" film to the Ned Beach book, the movie looks anemic next to the written word.

Well put Tom. I loved the book, but was very dissappointed in the movie.

Hoping that Steve, Don and Stefan have enough gumption to hold the line. If so, this should make a pretty entertaining movie.
expfcwintergreen

Postby U812 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:26 pm

For over thirty years I have worked with these monsters and criminals. Now I am the suit. Their worst freaking nightmare.

Plus Merriman is involved with us. Their other worst nightmare. Like grapes between our fingers. squirt!

Thanks guys. I can handle them.

Steve

Edited By U812 on 1157048935
U812

Postby expfcwintergreen » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:35 pm

Time for a Pirate raiding party??
expfcwintergreen

Postby U812 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:38 pm

Aye matey!

Steve
U812

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:04 pm

Okay....finally finished the book. :)

This is a very enjoyable read with a nice flow to the story. The action moves from scene to scene at a nice pace, gradually converging at the final chapter. This is a lengthy book, over 500 pages, but Don's writing style makes this a very easy book to read.

Without giving anything away, I like how Don has drawn from his background as a submariner *and* a tanker. The use of the latter was very ingenious!

I've got a couple of pages of notes and questions that I'll be sharing with Don.....mostly around technical details that wouldn't detract the average reader.

For me the ending wasn't a complete surprise as I began anticipating something along that line early on...but until I came to the part where the SSBN was given new orders, I had a different individual in mind. (I'm trying not to give the end away)

There is one plot line that is not closed out at the end of the book, which has me wondering if it might relate to the next book. Don't worry, it's not a cliff-hanger and doesn't detract from the ending!

The bottom line: buy this book!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby STARK » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:10 pm

I just finished my copy of the book , and I must say if you do not read this , you are missing out on one heck of a adventure , you really get it all in this one book guys . I do not read many books all the way through , but I could not put this one down , my wife is reading it now , and she is a "romance" nut . This should tell you something , she likes it so far . So get one you wont be disapointed !!! Brian
What one Man can do, You can do too!

http://forum.model-marina.com/
STARK

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:08 pm

I opened my copy up on Sunday intending just to read for a few minutes...four hours later I was about half way through it and it was getting dark outside!

I don't know if you other guys noticed this, but the book is non-stop action without the usual blah, blah, blah you wish they would get through so the fun would start again, and you still get the feeling you know the characters. Don has a real gift for writing for us hard core action fans.

I also like that the paper is better quality and the type was a little bigger than the usual paperpack's and easier on my peepers.

I am flying to Louisville this weekend and I am going to finish it - I can't wait! I know it will be one of those books you wish would never be finished.

I want to see this as a movie!
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Sub Books