Banner Ad 1

Public access to Rosyth.

The United Kingdom Local Chapter

Postby David H » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:51 am

G'day,

I believe that 2 RN Resolution class Submarines are currently decommissioned and docked at Rosyth Naval dock near Edinburgh.

I am a scratch model builder from Australia who may have the opportunity to come to Edinburgh for Christmas this year. I've always thought about building a model of the Resolution class subs.

I don't know how realistic it is in Today's current security climate to get to see these boats. I'd really like to get some photos of this class of sub. Can you go any where near these boats to take pics? Even through a security fence, or this this tempting fate? Is there any public access. I'm guessing not ,but it's worth a try...

Does anybody know anything?

regards

David Hughes :)
"Baldrick ,you would'nt recognise a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced on top a harpsichord singing "Subtle plans are here again!!" Blackadder.
David H

Postby DavieTait » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:22 am

Hi David , you've missed the Rosyth open day this year ( was beginning of July I think , the weekend we sent the Illustrious and Bulwark to Lebanon ). As for getting access for photo's of the 4 R class SSBN's and Dreadnought SSN if you contact the office at Rosyth ( contact site for Babcock naval services ) you might manage to persuade them to let you walk down the docks. Worth a try but I wouldn't get too optimistic about it as we are under the second highest level of terrorist threat and i'd guess that access to the dockyard will be tightly controlled.

Davie

Edited By DavieTait on 1156591423
DavieTait

Postby Sub culture » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:39 am

Do you know that a Resolution class boat was produced by Ron Perrot many years ago?

It's a nice model too.

Kits are no longer for sale, but they do spring up S/H from time to time.

Wheelerdealer had a full unbuitl kit for sale a while back, it may still be available if you're interested.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wheelerdealer » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:52 pm

Mine went to a nice chap in Edinburgh. Subtech now owns the moulds and is planing on releasing them with a new diving systems. Try sales@pandan.co.uk .

Edited By Wheelerdealer on 1156622081
Ramesh
www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:12 pm

That's interesting, I thought Matt Thor had the masters and moulds- perhaps he sold them onto Subtech.

I wonder what ballast system they'll fit it out with?

Andy

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Himszy » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:25 pm

Was Ron Perrot our Dave Merriman? Every time I said I was from Birmingham at Norwich it was "Ah! Ron Perrot County"

Seems it had one #### of a reputation...

Michael

Seems he ll is sensored...

Edited By Himszy on 1156623975
Himszy

Postby Wheelerdealer » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:40 pm

Himszy wrote:Was Ron Perrot our Dave Merriman? Every time I said I was from Birmingham at Norwich it was "Ah! Ron Perrot County"

Seems it had one #### of a reputation...

Michael

Seems he ll is sensored...

It was Ron's articles that got me first interest in subs. I had a long chat with him when I got my original Resolution. I believe he has a few sub stuff in the pipe line, including a dive module.
Ramesh
www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:40 pm

Well he ran R&R engineering nee Poseidon engineering.

Used to produce a range of kits, most of which were innovative and unique.

Unfortunately he seems to have trodden on more than a few toes- I've heard quite a few people didn't receive things they had paid for in the latter times of the company.

I think it's at least ten years since the operation was wound up.

That's about all I know, I'm sure others can chip in.

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby David H » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:07 pm

G'day guys,

Sorry to be blunt , but this querie was towards getting info about whether Rosyth is visitable. Not really about whether a Resolution class kit is on the market.

I'm a scratch builder so I'll build my own.... I enjoy the challenge.......

Can anybody further enlightne me about whether I will be able to get photo's of this boat.

Once again I'm sorry to be blunt but I would appreciate the info I'm after.

Regards,
DAvid hughes
"Baldrick ,you would'nt recognise a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced on top a harpsichord singing "Subtle plans are here again!!" Blackadder.
David H

Postby DavieTait » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:01 pm

I've found some images that might be of help David , as for access my first post will give you the direct Email to contact Rosyth direct. Its run totally by Babcock Thorn not the MoD now.
Davie
DavieTait

Postby David H » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:38 pm

Thanks Davie,

I've e-mailed them already, still waiting for a reply.

If you know of any other Sub related things I can visit in Edinburgh I would much appreciate it.

regards,

David hughes. :)
David H

Postby Sub culture » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:42 am

Okay.

I think the chances of you getting access to a SSBN, even one that has been deactivated, are slim.

These are much more closely guarded than SSN's.

Plans are available for the Resolution class bomber, you can purchase them from here-

http://www.whiteensignmodels.com

The plans are by Jecobin, and they're typically very good.

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby David H » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:56 am

Thanks andy,

What a bummer. One of the reasons why I wanted to get some shots is that there seem to be precious few of this boat. In searches always the same pictures keep coming up. I can't even get any dry dock pics. I Have had more luck researching my Chinese Type 092 Xia class.

I always find it strange when SSBN are referred to a "Bombers" When i hear this I always think of a Victor, Vulcan or Valiant. I suppose I prefer the term Boomer.

If there are soo few good detailed pics of Resolution then how do we know that the Drawings for sale ,are accurate?

regards,

David Hughes. :)
David H

Postby Sub culture » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:04 am

Short answer to that is- you don't.

It's a problem with Brisitsh boats in particular- we're secretive rascals.

However, the Jecobin plans I have for the Vanguard class are pretty much on the money, and that's a much higher classified boat.

Even if you could get acces to view the boats, I don't think they'd let you take a camera in.

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby DavieTait » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:30 am

I've scanned in all the photo's i've got of the R class SSBN's
Davie
DavieTait

Next

Return to SubCommittee GB