Banner Ad 1

Galathee kit review - A fun fine model to build and run

Heard about a new product? Announce it here!

Postby DEEPDIVE » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:18 am

:DHello, I am David Santivanez, I had to change my username because the website lost my info but no big deal. Anyway about a month ago I ordered a Galathee sub from Lecma RC in France,great service and it arived fine. This sub is a great sub to build in just 2 weeks I had her in the water and running. I had to modify it some to perform longer and faster with a 12 volt battery that fit exactly in the same place as the 6 volt battery provided ,watercooled motor and a 12 volt solenoid instead of the tube crimping setup.The frame is excellent and strong for a slideout system. The drive system is good also wellmade and easy to service. The bad side is the water pump, dont bother installing it, just run down to the nearest autoparts store and get a universal windshield pump,the mounting bracket lines right up with the holes on the frame! I added switched lights to my sub and at night or in the Devil's Den cavern its a blast to navigate rocky canyons.I perchased this sub spesificly for the spring water caverns I run in and my pool,it has proven to be one of the best subs I have ever built and manuvers like a dream with the cort nozel /rudder that move together.large dive planes that require no forward planes do the job.Pump out just a bit of water and she will hover preciesly! The seven bladed simitar prop makes tremenduse thrust at 12 volts and a regular "can" motor, I believe its a 3 to one ratio.The pressure hull comes in clear lexan and I tested it to 30ft with no leaks.I highly recomend this sub for any level of builder and for the price of 375.00$ shipped is a great deal,a wire transfer is required also.

Check out the site and online assembly pdf in english at:

Enjoy and Happy sailing Dave

http://www.lecma-rc.fr/Galathee.htm
DEEPDIVE

Postby gantu » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:12 pm

Hi,

see also this build :)

Gantu
gantu

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:35 pm

Hey David - welcome back, man! Good to see you are still around and into subs. Hope we can get you signed back up in the SC (and get you to write an article or two for the SCR!:laugh:)

I hope you don't mind, but I fixed the URL link to the site in your post. For some reason it just showed up as code.

Best,
Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:30 am

It's a well designed kit, the only slight weakness I can see in the design, is that the tech rack is glued into the rear bulkhead. If that joint fails the integrity of the boats watertight seal is in jeopardy, as it appears the seal is axially compressed.

I'd have liked to see the threaded rods run through the length of the tech tack, belt and braces perhaps, but then the design is near bomb proof.

How about a review for the Sub Com report, I'm sure this kit would stir up quite a bit of interest with experienced modellers and beginners alike.

Andy

Edited By Sub culture on 1156401115
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:35 am

I like Andy's idea of a review David. Want to write something up for us for the SCR?
Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby DEEPDIVE » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:51 am

:) Hello Tim, sure I would like to write a full review on the Galathee and the Chineese Dragon Shark,a very interesting sub now on my ways.I will include alot of pics.As for concerns about the aft main bulkhead atachment in the Galathee,all the joints are groved to fit very well and even filleing the inner corners is shown in the build,as long as good quality CA or epoxy is used the 4 way joint will hold stronger than the dech wuold.Also I am now going to install side tanks that look like those O2 tanks often seen on research subs ,railings,arms and more lights.Your imagination comes alive on this sub! Thanks Dave
DEEPDIVE

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:19 pm

Dave,

Excellent! If you have any questions as you start putting together a write-up for the SCR, please let me know and I'll be glad to help.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby DEEPDIVE » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:43 pm

Ok Jeff I will let you know ,Thanks!
DEEPDIVE

Return to New Product Announcements