In a fit of virtualy insanity I decided a while back to refurbish the hull of my RC Disney Nautilus. The original rivets were okay, however most were plagued with air bubbles and some were virtually flat.
Well, after a stretch of late nights, I managed to finish up 1/2 of the upper hull in time for the Pacific NW Regatta in Oregon, and I even had an extra hour left over to wash it with some rust. No lights have been reinstalled yet, but a series of high-output LEDs are just waiting for installation. Here are a few shots of the completed starboard side:
Wheelhouse with corrected Alligator Eyes:
I really like how this area turned out. The tail is really a veritable patchwork quilt of overlapping plates and rivets. This makes a lot of sense, as the tail is quite succeptible to damage when raking under a target ship's hull. Patches and repairs would be quite evident in this area:
I worked from the stern forwards and glued the leading edge of each plate with thick CA. Thin CA makes the styrene sheet very brittle and its prone to breaking and cracking in a most unsettling manner. The trailing edge of each piece is cemented to the preceeding one with standard liquid plastic cement.