Banner Ad 1

Pacific NW Sub Regatta (Tualatin, OR) - A few photos

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:58 pm

I headed down to Tualatin on the 11th to check out my very first RC Submarine Regatta. The function was being put on by the SubCommittee SubRon IP (Inside Passage) which includes British Columbia, Oregon, California and Washington States.

The meet took place near the Century Hotel in a wonderful 3-1/2 acre freshwater man-made lake. Dwayne Hillier, Mike Dory, Jason Milsom, and other equally notable characters in the hobby were present, and the very relaxed atmosphere was well-received. Without a ton of boats on the water, there was ample time for everyone to play in the water.

The water was quite murky, owing to the local fowl wildlife, but most subs were still visible to about 2' down. The weather was perfect... not too hot, but plenty warm enough for shorts and nice and sunny. Jason and I (as the two youngest and, therefore most foolish), got a bit red while the more experienced of us stayed cool under the shade for most of the day. I was glad that I brought my polarized sunglasses, as they help immeasureably with the glare coming off the water.

I was lucky enough to win the raffle, and walked away with a speed controller, levelling device and failsafe generously donated by Lyle at Atomic Subs. It, along with the great company, made the whole trip worthwhile!

All in all, I'd guess that there were maybe a dozen or so of us bubbleheads out there beside about triple that of the target runners, who were also having a Regatta on that day. I'd guess that there were about fifteen or so operational boats and maybe twenty altogether in various stages of completion (anyone who was there who has more official numbers, feel free to jump in).

Here are a few shots that I took the time to snap. I should have taken far more, but I guess I was having too much fun. I hope you enjoy!

There are a few more shots of the Regatta on a page that I whipped up for it. Take a look here.
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby elec_tech » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:53 pm

Looks like fun was had a plenty Bob, Very sorry I missed it!!

Next time for sure! and I might even have one running by then.

Great shots BTW!

Dan
elec_tech

Postby schmitty » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:15 pm

This was a truly great event. I haven't been very active in the model submarine community for many years but I got my fleet out of mothballs and I'm sure glad I did. I am now re-enthused :D I made new friends and saw some very impressive models (subs and surface ships). Overall a great event and looking forward to next year. Thanks very much to all who helped organize and attended.

Jason Milsom
schmitty

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas