Banner Ad 1

Type II U-Boat Models

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby InvisibleDeterrent » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:11 pm

Well hello out there. I've been hunting a Type II U-Boat static model for sometime now. All that I have been able to find as of yet are 1/400 scale models which are quite small. Is there anything out there at 1/200 scale or better? I'm not quite good enough to build one from scratch yet so that's a bit out of the question. Thanks
InvisibleDeterrent

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:32 am

I was hoping that someone would know of a Type II model of a larger scale....but I guess none is available. Those 1/400th scale models are just too small!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:38 pm

lord knows I've hunted around. there's none that I know of in any large scale ('cept for the R/C ones...)

One of these in 1/72 would be very nice. A nice complement the VII and the XXIII...
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby InvisibleDeterrent » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:29 pm

Well that figures, I don't suppose it's possible to put a bug in the ear at Revell about it? Not that they dont know already or that people haven't suggested it before. Thanks for your replies and help.

Hazen
InvisibleDeterrent

Postby DavieTait » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:30 pm

Good evening from the eastern side of the "pond" ( well it is evening here lol ). If your looking for a static diving Type IID WW2 German U-Boat then Sheerline in the UK have just released one.
Here's a bit about it from a UK modelling website ( with Sheerline models own comments) UK web article
2nd article with dimensions, same site
Now this isn't a cheap kit at all being £950+ shipping in the uk but if you want the best it costs i'm afraid !!

DavieTait
Scotland
*EDIT*
Sorry guys this was my first post, you could try and contact Sheerline to see if they would be willing to sell you the kit minus all the internal WTC/Electronics/etc if they did it should be a lot cheaper too. Only a thought worth a try I suppose.

Edited By DavieTait on 1153262602
DavieTait

Postby Andy F@uk » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:00 pm

Special navy were supposed to release a Typ II in 1/72 scale but nothing has been heard for a while.They also announced the Hai and Hecht versions of their Typ XXIII but alas still no word on any of them.
bst rgds,
Andy.
Andy F@uk

Postby sam reichart » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:25 pm

Andy F@uk wrote:Special navy were supposed to release a Typ II in 1/72 scale but nothing has been heard for a while.They also announced the Hai and Hecht versions of their Typ XXIII but alas still no word on any of them.
bst rgds,
Andy.

I'm in the throes of building the Special Navy Type XXIII as we speak. I knew they were talking about a Type II, but as you said, nothing new's been announced.

This Type XXIII on the other hand...
well...I'm going to do a write up of this build. I've seen one or two photos of this model built up, and it looks great...but this kit leaves lots to be desired. Once I stop pulling my hair out, finish the photoetch and regain my sanity, I'll put together an article.
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby hakkikt » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:45 pm

Best guess is the East European companies like MPM or ICM, which have released the Type XIII in 1/72 and 1/144. Give them some time and you will see a Type II model sooner or later.
- mobilis in mobili -
SC#1604
hakkikt

Postby silent runner » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:17 pm

Try here. These are the only plastic Type II kits I know of.

http://www.squadron.com/SearchR....bmit=Go

Mike
The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign that the conspiracy is working.
silent runner
SubCommittee Member

Postby InvisibleDeterrent » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:09 pm

Well thank you Mike. I went ahead and purchased that 1/200 Czech model and will see how it goes. I can't wait to get started on it. Thank you all for the help and input. I'll have to get some picts of the developing project.

Hazen
InvisibleDeterrent

Postby imodeller » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:40 am

Hello,
here type IIA/IID is photo of hull pieces from forthcoming kit.
imodeller

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:58 am

Might not be too bad.....though I don't see from the photo how those hull halves can be both a IIA and a IID?

Any insight when and where it will be available?

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:56 pm

imodeller wrote:Hello,
here type IIA/IID is photo of hull pieces from forthcoming kit.

Is that the "Special Navy" Type II? If so, and if you have any influence with the company, plese tell them to put some alignment pins on the hull halves. Their Type XXIII is the biggest pain in the ### I've ever encountered for trying to align a model. Otherwise, I'll take one anyway... :p
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:18 pm

Jeff. At 1/72 how big?

Looks great I'd like on too. Of course.

steve
U812

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:19 pm

Hi Steve,

A Type IIA was 40.9m....so in 1/72nd scale that would be 56.8cm or 22.36 inches. (The Type IID would be 4.26cm or 1.67 inches longer.)

....it should be a nice size!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Static Modeler