Banner Ad 1

SF Harpoon Scratch Build

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Postby elec_tech » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:07 am

Update:

Got a good couple hours worth of work in on the sub again. Today I continued on with the detailing of the hull. I played with a bit more of the styrene and made myself a few more details and then I pulled out the 1/32" crepe tape again and sorta went to town. I have the entire hull lined with weld lines and extra details.

Progress Continues....
elec_tech

Postby elec_tech » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:17 pm

Update:

Yesterday I spent some time finishing a few more details to the hull and working on the stern planes. Aside from a bit of scribing and light spot sanding on the hull I think I am ready to call it mold ready. I just have to get the molding material and off I go.

The Stern planes have been finished though and I've molded them using Polyyek RTV and I've cast 4 copies with Alumilite. That said, my mold turned out to be not the best in the world. I don't have a pressure pot so I ended up having a lot of bubbles form. Unfotunatly the bubbles found their way to the master and made for a bit of a mess. It's nothing I can't fix with a touch of icing mind you.

Anyway... here are some pics of where I am now... I still have most of the afternoon to work so I am going to play with some Icing and see if I can't smooth these things out.

Progress continues....
elec_tech

Postby elec_tech » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:32 am

Update:

For those not following the thread on SubPirates, I have had some input from fellow builders on the sail for this particular sub. I've remodeled it in CAD and came up with a design that uses pretty much all of the suggestions I received and some flare of my own. The following continues with the building of the new sail and more..

This evening I did some more real work on the sub. I took the plans of the new CAD work I just finished and put them to use. Using the same top/side view technique for cutting out the last sail, I cut out this one and right away it looked better. A much better fit, both in style and scale. I gave it a quick few scrapes with some 220 grit sandpaper to take off the hard edges but overall it didn't need much.

I also cut out a new set of dive planes. The other ones I made were too thick so I went with a thinner balsa plank and re-cut them. I gave them a quick sandpaper scrape as well.

After I had done all that, I thought about doing the icing trick again but thought better of it. I'm not the greatest at being conservative with that stuff yet and my parts are only as big as one of my fingers at best so I didn't want to push it and ruin them again. That and I didn't want to have to sand them down all night. No thanks! Instead I tacked on a couple layers of 3/4oz glass and resined them. They are curing now and should be ready for finish sanding and some touch ups later. Once they're done I'll detail them and mold them for casting Alumilite parts much like I did the stern planes.

Here are some pictures... the most important things I know... you just glossed over the wordy part didn't you?? uh huh! gotcha! LOL

Progress Continues.....
elec_tech

Postby elec_tech » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:49 pm

Update:

I worked mainly on the sail and the dive planes today. I sanded down the fiberglass job I did a couple days ago and finished them with the Icing treatment. Again, a quick sanding and I moved onto detailing. The planes I am leaving undetailed but I might look at adding some after they're molded. just some highlight additions if anything. I did however detail the sail. I don't have the sail planes on for molding as I will make them out of foamboard and attach them after it's molded.

Talking about molding, I laid down a single piece mold frame and put in the dive plane pieces and the sail and laid them up in RTV. I hope these turn out. If not I'll try again. I know there will probably be bubble dimples again but right now it's nothing I can help.

I also made up a bit or a contraption to get my sail planes lined up and scribed in when they're ready. I tried to follow Kevin McLeod's technique on this... tried being the operative word. We'll see if it works later.

Progress Continues....
elec_tech

Postby elec_tech » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:20 pm

Quick Update:

So the the mold turned out to be half crap/half workable. One of the two planes lifted off the clay and floated to the top so that was useless but the other stayed in place and gelled fine. the little pre-plane bits gelled ok as well. The one piece I did want to work out didn't. The area around the sail for some reason didn't gell at all, either I didn't mix it well enough or there was something on the sail that prevented it from gelling. oh well, I'll try again later.

I successfully cast up two copies of the one plane and the pre-plane bits in Alumilite. I was very impressed as there were NO bubble dimples! I must've done something a little right to have that happen.

no pictures this time.... I'll take some later.

Progress Continuess...
elec_tech

Postby elec_tech » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:10 am

Update:

Well, A bit of a long wait but I got back to working this evening. As I have to build up some scratch to buy the molding materials I figured I'd bounce over and work on another portion of the sub.

Today I stared work on the WTC compartments. About a month or so back I bought a BD Kilo WTC experimenters kit and ever since I have been tinkering with it trying to figure out how I was going to put it together. I have since decided to make 2 WTCs out of the one kit. A motor compartment and an electronics compartment.

This evening I started work on the motor compartment. I mentioed before that I was outfitting this sub with a 3:1 geared speed 400 motor(refered to from now on as 'the motor'). Of the 4 Tubes that come with the kit, there are 2 large meant for ballast and electronics ('cause they're BIG), one medium size (short & smaller dia. than the large) and one small(shorter and smaller yet in dia.). These each were too small to house the motor on their own so I devised a way to attach the two together to form a singular, tapered WTC. This also proves quite useful as my hull is teardropped, I can place the WTC futher back to reduce the shaft length... ingenious says I... moving on..

I started by pouring some Alumilite in the bottom of the med. tube to give me a flat surface to work with.

I then slipped the med. tube inside one of the large tubes(rubbed with mold release on the inside) and placed the small tube centered on the flat surface of the med. tube. I secured the small tube with clay on the inside so it held firm. The I poured a little more Alumilite around the crevase that was formed bewteen the large and small tubes and let it set.

After a little gentle persuasion I was able to remove the combined tube from the larger tube and was able to continue with my plan.

I then pulled out my new drill press and cored out the center of the Alumilite wall that had been formed in the middle of my tube... how'd that get there????? I was a little off center and ended up filing the internal edges for a clean transition from med. to small.

After that was done... I pretty much called it a night and felt satisfied to boot.. I be happy! Here is a shot of the motor and end caps on just for show.

Oh and here is a pic of my new tool... very nice! 8)

Progress Continues...

Edited By elec_tech on 1158815503
elec_tech

Postby elec_tech » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:51 pm

Update:

Ha! For the first time in over a year... One part of my build I can actually say is COMPLETE! Man that feels good! The motor WTC is done and in for water-tight testing as I write.

After testing the coupling for leaks over a couple days I was satisfied that the seal was water tight.

I started work yesterday on getting the wires through the first endcap. Basically I drilled a small hole, fed the wires through and sealed it with Alumilite. Not a bad way to go and it's nice and neat.

I worked on the motor mounts next and started with a small bracket plate for the motor/gearbox to mount to.

Two brass rods were cut and bent then to go around the motor and secured to the first endcap by drilling a couple small holes in the endcap and then CAing them into place.

After getting that together I soldered the wires to the motor and secured everything in place so I could fit the drive shaft pieces.

I had cut and drilled two of the support brackets in case one broke while I worked. Fortunatly that didn't happen so I had a spare bracket. I used that to determine where to drill the hole for the drive shaft seal. After drilling that hole I CA'd the seal in place and proceeded to pour a little Alumilite fitting around it for extra hold and seal. overkill.. maybe.. oh well...

With that all complete I put it all together and now I have a complete motor WTC... on to the Main Electronics WTC.....

Progress Continues...
elec_tech

Resurfacing

Postby elec_tech » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:37 pm

*stale smelling, odd colored bubbles break the water briefly before an odd shaped bald guy breaks through into the Inside Passage's calm and cool waters*

Hi folks! It's been a long while since I've been here (ok.. three years is a little longer than a while) but I'm finally trying to resurface and get a little more active behind the work bench.

I have a number of pics from bits and pieces of work I've done over the last couple years on this sci-fi scratch build.

I have to admit, it hasn't gotten much further than you've seen and it's still not wet... not even close.

What I have done is this..

- Taken a mold of the master
- Partially successfully made one copy and assembled parts of it (sadly the only one that will ever be made.. Subpirates.com members may remember the mold mess I made back in '07)
- Painted the master model and almost completed the static build of it.

But! There is hope as I have put up a workbench again and slowly I'll be continuing the build right from where I left off.

Hope to sail with you folks once again if you'll have me.

Cheers!
Dan

edit: P.S. - would it be possible to relocate this thread to the Builder Threads section?
elec_tech

Postby raalst » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:30 am

good idea to move the thread, and welcome back !
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:56 pm

Welcome back.
It will be good to see more of your interesting submarine build.

-Scott
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby elec_tech » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:00 pm

At last I have a moment to post some catch up pictures.

For those who have frequented the Subpirates site for the last few years, most of these photos will be repeats from when I was a member and posting there regularly.

In order (I hope), you'll see the mold making process minus the messes I made in the process.

First - The making of the of the top and bottom molds.

Second - The hack job version of trying to make a copy of the top side. When I first posted this 2 years ago I got chewed out for my technique (with good reason I learned later) but it was my first attempt at it and I learned a great deal from it. Mistake or no, I learned and that's what mattered to me. The molding of the bottom side went much smoother because of what I'd learned.

From this I learned how to layer fiberglass a little more properly, repair bad castings, effects of filler and a whole bunch more that's been really useful.

So, here is a sampling of some of the work from casting to where it pretty much is today. As you can see in the last photo, I've done some finishing work on the hull to blend the lid and main body together but since then I've not done much. I intend to remedy that.

What no one has seen yet is my paint job on the Static Master version of the sub. I won't be taking anymore moldings of it so I decided to finally do it up and get it so I can mount it on my desk at work. Only a little left to finish on this and it will be done. Mounting of the prop and rear planes really.. maybe one day I'll add lights and a moving prop but who can tell? It'll look better with a shot of clear coat too I think.. take away some of the flatness of the paint.

Oh.. yeah.. Made in Canada so of course it's fully labeled with Canadian markings.

That be all for now..
elec_tech

Postby redboat219 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:45 am

Wow! Does it have warp drive? That thing looks more like a starship than a sub. :lol: :lol: :lol: .
"Make it simple, make it strong-and make it work!" - Mikhail Mil
redboat219

Postby Scott T » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:57 am

Looking good.

Scott
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:29 pm

I like it! Well done!
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby junglelord » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:13 pm

I love it....wonderful build...and an excellent shape.
WOW!
8)
junglelord

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads