Banner Ad 1

Building my own Verne-type NAUTILUS

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby modelnut » Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:46 pm

Here is a look at my first sub scratchbuild! I am enjoying the heck out of it too!

http://groups.msn.com/ModelersAndHobbyForum/modeltsar.msnw?Page=1

Feel free to offer any advice or criticism. Or questions!

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby jleslie48 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:06 pm

I love that spearhead design, I have seen it before, can you give a little background on your interpretation/inspiration?
jleslie48

Postby modelnut » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:58 pm

Sure thing!

I have been studying hard to build this one. Bought an accurate translation of the book - which has been out for only about tens years or so. And I spent a lot of time looking at this site:

http://home.att.net/~karen.crisafulli/nautilus.html

Some great ideas and issues to consider if you want to get as close as you can to Verne's description. But his design can't be taken as scripture if you want a working model.

And there are a few inconsistencies in his description. He first says that the NAUTILUS is smooth and featureless except for two rings attached to the hull. Later there are two structures on either end of the platform(?) and the NAUTILUS is covered with overlapping plates.

I chose the raised ram to fit the N's collision with the SCOTIA. A centerline ram would have hit much lower than is described in the text.

The aft fin is not from Goff (though the tail is). It is meant to deflect debris away from the aft lantern which will be directly under it. I might put a cutwater on the pilot house for the same reason (or might not.)

Verne had the lantern and pilot house constructed so they could be pushed into the hull before ramming a British warship.
I thought about going this route and putting them on pistons. But then I thought I'd better keep it simple. This is my first sub scratchbuild.

And I put the Salon window forward of the Pilot House as it is in the book. This in keeping with Verne's description. And it will allow me to build an interior AND still make it R/C eventually.

-Leelan

Edited By modelnut on 1059083457
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:59 pm

oops

Edited By modelnut on 1059080440
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby ThierryC » Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:48 pm

I belive the salon window's were rectangular and not rounded like you have them featured on your model, I noticed that most people represent them rounded with an iris, probably an unconscious reerence to the Geoff Harper's Nautilus.
There are 10 kind of people, those who undertand binary and those who don't !
Sub-Systems
ThierryC

Postby jleslie48 » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:28 am

modelnut,

yes I recognize that website. I was just talking about that site with my son the other day, the weekend before I contatcted this list. I was commenting to him that I thought the spearhead design their (that you incorporated) into your design, was one of my favorites because of its looks and it would probably be the most pratical to build for real.
jleslie48

Postby Wbnemo1 » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:14 pm

i think you'll find in the original hetzel,hildebrand woodcuttings ,that the salon was actually epliptical with two vertical suports on either side seen from within i did actually make a small 9" model of the Verne described Nautilus back in 94. there was definate artistic licsence applied for cosmetic reasons but for the most part resembled a Ron Miller version,which appears to be the most accurate i can find in keeping with the orginal translation......just my thoughts :)
William
Wbnemo1

Postby Michael » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:39 am

Thanks to Leelan for the reference. The web site is mine and includes my own thoughts as well as those of many other folk. One page is devoted to many of the different versions of the Nautilus, several of which have the raised spur. The confusion or controversy about the window shape comes from the original French word "oblong" that is sometimes translated as rectangular and sometimes as longer than high. Most experienced sub folk argue that square corners don't provide good watertightness.
Michael

Postby SubStuff » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:51 am

I'd still wish someone would make up plans for that one used in the 4hr mini series. That one was very different. i'd love to have one made up in a larger scale.

Any ideas as to where to find plans of this one???
Chris,
Sub Accessories,
Odyssey Slipways
SubStuff

Postby Desert Boat » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:16 am

The amazing thing about this hobby is how so many people make the effort they do to plan, discuss and build models of the various Nautilus designs. For a boat that never existed, except in books and films, it is truly marvelous! Personally, I'm attached to Disney's film version and have long wondered when someone is going to build a man-carrying version (30 feet or so). But, why aren't there more models of the Seaview? :D
Ray Agee
SCM #2551
Cactus Navy
Tempe, Arizona
Lord ... Shield us from the UltraSensitive!
Desert Boat

Postby SubStuff » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:14 am

What's wrong with an 18 foot Nautilus

http://subcommittee.com/Images4/PR_1.html
Chris,
Sub Accessories,
Odyssey Slipways
SubStuff

Postby jleslie48 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:15 am

I don't find it amazing at all. This 150 year old ship travels in the sea of the imagination and as a result can never be surpassed by anything that we can actually create. It has been the basis for just about every modern submarine and and their isn't an inventor alive that doesn't list jules verne and his writings (specifically the nautilus and the moon rocket) as a significant source of inspiration. Lots of things have been written in the last 150 years, but the Nautilus' promenience (?sp?) is because of its superiority.

While there have been some hits and misses with Disney, the goffe designed Nautilus is a masterpiece and will forever keep the Nautilus alive. Probably second only to the USS Enterprise from star trek, it is the most recognizable ship of the imagination. Also consider the year, 1951 - this attention to detail and use of the ship as a central character of the story, was unpresidented (?sp?) in movie-story telling. It wouldn't be until Star Wars ( well, I not sure about 2001) that this kind of attention to detail was made.

previous message:
The amazing thing about this hobby is how so many people make the effort they do to plan, discuss and build models of the various Nautilus designs. For a boat that never existed, except in books and films, it is truly marvelous! Personally, I'm attached to Disney's film version and have long wondered when someone is going to build a man-carrying version (30 feet or so). But, why aren't there more models of the Seaview?
jleslie48

Postby modelnut » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:48 am

I heartily agree about the NAUTILUS prominent place in the world as an important and enduring icon. Everyone needs inspiration. Why else put up with the drudgery of calculus and physics?

I think I remember Goddard stating that his main inspiration was Jules Verne's "From the Earth to the Moon".

And I also remember an early submarine commander (Lake maybe???) said that he owed the lives of his ship and crew to Verne. He found himself in very rough weather on the surface. He remembered Nemo saying that surface storms mean nothing in the deep and so he dove the boat. Sure enough, peace and calm. Once ashore he phoned Verne's living descendents to thank them personally for their grandfather's brilliance.

BTW I got this last from the History Channel so I don't think it is an old sea story.

Verne and the NAUTILUS have certainly kept my mind limber at any rate. I was not inspired enough to go through school to learn any engineering but his books began my continuing interest in submarines and SciFi. And that has kept me sane in an otherwise insane environment. (My manager at work could lose a battle of wits with a houseplant. OI!)

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:10 am

SubStuff,

If you were referring in an earlier post to the ABC miniseries featuring Michael Cain as Nemo, then you're talking about my next RC project.

She'll be about 48" long (or 1/72 scale). I've got a fast project lined up between my 1/32 Disney version and this one, but the build will go fast thanks to a relatively easy design, and I hope to have this new Nautilus started by Christmas.

I've got plans and reference shots lined up, so I'm hoping the build will go smoothly.

Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby jleslie48 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:19 pm

btw, was someone looking for a seaview model? here's my 6" version:
img src="HTTP://www.smartgroups.com/picvault/15137386.jpg/j4boats0243a.jpg">

jleslie48

Return to Television and Movie Submarines