Banner Ad 1

A New Regatta Location !! - Concrete lined 1 Acker Pond And Spring

South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida Local Chapter

Postby aquadeep » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:37 am

Hello evryone :D I have found a place called The Devils Den ,located just 2 miles west of a small town called Williston in Levy county in central florida that will blow your mind ! There is a large man made pond lined in concrete with shelves,underwater walls,canyons and even arks to pass thrugh.there are deep areas and large 4 to 6 feet deep expances.Also a bridge that is parcialy covered.Full acsess all the way round with a concrete walk way.There is also a boat ramp and large easy steps with a banister to the water.This pond was made to train divers so its perfect for us in many ways.Visability is not bad about 6 feet.The bottom is white so the contrast of a black sub realy stands out.There is also large catfish that are a blast to play with and chase my subs.there harmless.The fasility bosts two large covered picknick ares with 20 or so tables each with built in barba qs and water and light all done in concrete floor and stone pillars,perfect for sub prep and right next to the water,oh there is also an Island with palms and table. Now thats the pond wait till you see this, a underground groto! Cristall clear spring water with a diving platform and steps submerged in the middle of the groto.The water is 72 dgs year round and avreges about 10 to 25 feet deep with rock formations .A large catfish inhabts this beutyfull place.When you first come down the narrow stair way you will see the opening of suns rays breaking the darkness and iluminating the clear blue water bellow that extends for some 100 ft all around ,an ausome sight and we can run our subs there ,I run there all the time.The operators more than wellcome us.There is a 9 dallar fee if you snorkel and a bit more for scuba.Also since this place is mostly used for trainning divers there is always a diver willing to retreave a striken sub! We couldnt ask for more.I plan on hosting year round regattas as this place could have been built for RC subs ,bring your surface targets as well.Also there is an RV park,Condos and Camping available on site and a large pool.Well for more info Google Devils Den and check it out!Crazy Ivan Contact me for more info
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby Desert Boat » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:00 am

What ... no alligators? :D
Ray Agee
SCM #2551
Cactus Navy
Tempe, Arizona
Lord ... Shield us from the UltraSensitive!
Desert Boat

Postby wolfsong » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:25 pm

found it on the web.

www.devilsden.com

looks very nice...
lets organize a meeting / regatta and find a date to do it on

stefan
Submariner, qualified in 1990 ,U21 Class 206

Life is Simple.. either you are qualified or you are not ! .. silent service
wolfsong

Postby Wilsonsubs » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:12 am

This might be a place to visit for a "fun float" and some PR with the management/facility staff for Regatta possibilities. Sometimes there are limits and paperwork that can be "relaxed" if the right people are supporting you. Politics.
Anyway perhaps a visit one Saturday cold provide us with enough "recon" to ask for a quorum vote from our group back to the SubComm to ask for a Committee supported event.
I'd like to ask each of you to give me feedback from 1 -to- 10 on your support of this idea.
thanks
Mike
Michael Wilson
Wilsonsubs
SubCommittee Member

Postby aquadeep » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:25 pm

I have already done considerable PR work with the management with whom I have become a friend and advisor for there ideas on a RC car rental track and sailbouts to scale rc and gas/ electric events.There is a waiver that everyone must fill out ,if you run or not.I will be negotiating with them on group rates and use of the pond and groto, so far for me its been free ,unless I snorkle.I live 25 miles away so dont need to stay overnight.What is
needed is an estimate of how many members would be attending in advance of each event,which is normal.I dont know how booked they get in the winter but reservations are posible.Lets have a funrun any time soon preferably in the afternoons due to the diving classes in the groto only.The pond is available all day.Feel free to call me at 352 351 2547 any time so that as many members can do a recon/ funrun on the Devels Den . Thanks Dave

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby wolfsong » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:43 pm

Mike : 10

as for meeting / fun-run .. lets plan an anual 1st get together with everybody on subcomm deep south.. i might stay at the campground myself overnite.. but its only 2.5 to 3 hour drive from my house...

im definately interested in a whole day event / meeting

stefan

about a date... late summer... NOT laborday weekend.. too much travel on the road on a holiday

wolfsong

Postby Wilsonsubs » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:01 pm

Dave:
What would the cost be for a Saturday event? Say in October. We'd need use of as many tables or covered areas as possible. I know this from the latest boating event here in Jacksonville. Also electrical power. Most of us needed electricity for our battery chargers and or tools. I'm thinking a good number of the attendees would want to stay overnite. The camp ground is a good idea for sure. What are the costs for that? These would be a few starting questions.
Michael Wilson
Wilsonsubs
SubCommittee Member

Postby wolfsong » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:19 pm

if several guys will camp out, do they give us a group rate? i might come with an rv down there.

oh.. and make it late october ... end of hurricane season.. don't want to get surprised and have to cancel it in the last minute due to some winds..

stefan

wolfsong

Postby aquadeep » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:12 pm

Hi I will find out tomorrow on a group rate for camping and RV for late October.I will also check the AC outlets for availabilty and locations.I know that there are fans and a shower and about 12 picknic tables per each pavillion there are 2 .More tables are available and can be added.I know the Condos go for $75.00 a night and can sleep 4 they are very nice.Thanks DaveImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby g2tiger » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Guys,

Looks fantastic! I'll bet if the other subcommittee members find out they will be green with envy! Count me in! I am working feverishly to get my latest boat ready for the regatta, I hope to have her in the water late this weekend or early next week.

The wife has given her happy face at the camping part. So for me it's as good as done. Now I only need to talk to her about that red sports car....

Mike W. Want to get with me and whom ever and make a run down there to look it over?

Charlie
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby wolfsong » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:39 pm

so anybody has an idea for a date ? and who would be able to organize everything down there ?
lets come up with a plan

what about veterans day, 2nd week in november ?

stefan

wolfsong

Postby aquadeep » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:36 am

Laborday sounds good to me , and I can organize a funrun or help in logistics .I just need to know how many members would be staying ,since that time of year is the busy snowbird season.
So reservations as soon as posible would be a good idea.
Dave

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby wolfsong » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:33 pm

labor day is not good for me , i have to work.. its too soon and in the middle of hurricane season.. like i suggested earlier and i think mike suggested it too.. late october, early november is better.. sometime around veterans day ? that is 2nd week in november

stefan

wolfsong

Postby Wilsonsubs » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:27 pm

I'd like to say good work to the group for coming together and talking this out. I like to see likemindedness.
The pictures look good. The place looks pretty good too.

Can we recap for a minute just to make sure everyone is on the same page? sorry for the slow down but it makes for good business.

The location is in: .
The park name is: ?
Parking capacity is: _.
Park entrance fee is: .

List of possible weekends for a SubRun: _.

Members interested: ___

My thoughts,
I'm interested in this place and a SubRun.
I would like to see the facility before holding a large event.
BUT I'd like to invite more sub people along if this is as good as it seems right now. Perhaps Charlie and I could take a look at it pretty soon toward that goal.
Let's put several NON-holiday dates out there for us to agree on. It seems easier for more people to get together like that.

Whatever we decide I'd like to talk about it at the Carmel event this month. Is that acceptable with our group?

Thank you
Michael
Michael Wilson
Wilsonsubs
SubCommittee Member

Postby wolfsong » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:38 pm

to answer mikes question:

The location is in: .williston , FL
The park name is: ? Devils Den

Fees for diving / snorkeling and RV-ing are on the webpage at www.devilsden.com

List of possible weekends for a SubRun: any weekend AFTER the hurricane-season.... its just safer..

Members interested: me

lets just decide on any date..

I say Saturday, November, 04 ,2006.

i'd be able to come in that early morning and stay till sunday afternoon on the campground... i might even come friday

if we decide on the date early enough, we can publish it in the sub-report

stefan

wolfsong

Return to SubComDeepSouth