Banner Ad 1

Year round Regatta location Central Florida - Scuba diving trainning pond and groto

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby aquadeep » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:44 pm

:D Just in case you havent seen the new post in Deep South here it is .Hello evryone :D I have found a place called The Devils Den a privately owned resort,located just 2 miles west of a small town called Williston in Levy county in central florida that will blow your mind ! There is a large man made pond lined in concrete with shelves,underwater walls,canyons and even arks to pass thrugh.there are deep areas and large 4 to 6 feet deep expances.Also a bridge that is parcialy covered.Full acsess all the way round with a concrete walk way.There is also a boat ramp and large easy steps with a banister to the water.This pond was made to train divers so its perfect for us in many ways.Visability is not bad about 6 feet.The bottom is white so the contrast of a black sub realy stands out.There is also large catfish that are a blast to play with and chase my subs.there harmless.The fasility bosts two large covered picknick ares with 20 or so tables each with built in barba qs and water and light all done in concrete floor and stone pillars,perfect for sub prep and right next to the water,oh there is also an Island with palms and table. Now thats the pond wait till you see this, a underground groto! Cristall clear spring water with a diving platform and steps submerged in the middle of the groto.The water is 72 dgs year round and avreges about 10 to 25 feet deep with rock formations .A large catfish inhabts this beutyfull place.When you first come down the narrow stair way you will see the opening of suns rays breaking the darkness and iluminating the clear blue water bellow that extends for some 100 ft all around ,an ausome sight and we can run our subs there ,I run there all the time.The operators more than wellcome us.There is a 9 dallar fee if you snorkel and a bit more for scuba.Also since this place is mostly used for trainning divers there is always a diver willing to retreave a striken sub! We couldnt ask for more.I plan on hosting year round regattas as this place could have been built for RC subs ,bring your surface targets as well.Also there is an RV park,Condos and Camping available on site and a large pool.Well for more info Google Devils Den and check it out!I have several photos and would be happy to share them since the website does not have many.Crazy Ivan.
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:40 pm

Sounds interesting! Be sure to document it with plenty of photos when you have your first fun run there to see how sub (and submariner :;): ) friendly it is!
Best,
Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Novagator » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:47 pm

I dove Devil's Den years ago, and saw that pond, but then you couldn't see the bottom it was so murky. But if it cleared up, that would be a great place to drive subs.
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:42 pm

The pictures may be misleading, but the open pond doesn't look large enough to run r/c subs?

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas