Banner Ad 1

Regatta - Regatta

South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida Local Chapter

Postby spongjim » Mon May 22, 2006 12:29 am

Is anyone else from the south going to the regatta in July?
See you there.

Jim
spongjim
SubCommittee Member

Postby wolfsong » Tue May 23, 2006 6:22 am

i wish i could,but my wife is sick and my boat aint ready ....
i hope i can get there next year
stefan
Submariner, qualified in 1990 ,U21 Class 206

Life is Simple.. either you are qualified or you are not ! .. silent service
wolfsong

Postby g2tiger » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:36 pm

Looks like Warren Wilson, Mike Wilson (no relation) and I, Charlie Johnson will be attending. See you there Jim, Hope the uboat is working for you.

Charlie
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby Carcharadon » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:07 am

Hi Warren, Charlie, Mike, Jim, & Stefan

Stefan, been to Okeefenokee (sp) yet?

Would like to go but not this year.

Too bad we couldn't have it in the South East some time?

Tom.
Carcharadon

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:04 pm

The SubRegatta is open to any SubRon that wants to host it. Feel free to put in a proposal for next year! It's a lot of work but very rewarding when it goes off well.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby wolfsong » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:45 pm

it would be nice, if we could get together first and see, if we can get the subcomm deep south going with regular meetings?

lets talk

stefan

hi tom.. i live in folkston/ georgia now

wolfsong

Postby Carcharadon » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:41 pm

Well I don’t know about a Regatta, but anytime anyone wants to try out my test pond, Lake Mayer (Savannah GA)just let me know. It’s a community park and open to the public. It would have to be a weekend for me. Other than fishermen and some sail boat people there are no other modelers, surface or submarine on the lake. Gas powered models are not allowed. They do have a dirt track for the RC cars and they have organized meets but they're a good distance away.

They have a large indoor area for inclement weather. There are usually various groups having cookouts etc. I’m not sure what kind of arrangements or payments have to be made for use of the area for groups.

The lake water visibility is poor, but there’s plenty of depth and the bottom is relatively uncluttered. It was a borrow pit before they turned it into a recreation area. They don’t allow swimming probably because the water is nutrient rich from all the waterfowl especially in the summer. I believe its spring feed so there is a constant supply of fresh water and they stock it for fishing.

There are some pondweeds in the shallower water, but because of the high turbidity the weeds seem only to thrive around the perimeter. Depth increases with only a short distance from shore.

There are no rocks, boulders, tree stumps, trees or other debris.

I’ve included some Google Earth shots of the area, probably about 40 acres.

I would still like to find some clear water relatively close but don’t think that’s possible.

Some video showing the pier and lake

http://home.comcast.net/~byourk/4299a.wmv

http://home.comcast.net/~elyourk/32506f.wmv

Or maybe some other places to meet???

Edited By Carcharadon on 1150852953
Carcharadon

Postby Carcharadon » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:56 am

It was brought to my attention that at about 15 seconds into the first video two black objects appear to the left of the sub. First one moves from the other and disappears and then the other disappears as well. I have no idea what these “UFOs” are, did not notice them while shooting the video. They’re not birds, they seem to submerge.

http://home.comcast.net/~byourk/4299a.wmv
Carcharadon

Postby dlittle » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:26 pm

At Berry College in Rome GA there is a reflecting pool at the Ford Buildings. I will try to post the pics and get some information about dimensions and access.
dlittle

Postby dlittle » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:09 pm

Berry College starts back on Aug 21st. The pool is 36 feet by 125 feet and holds 45K gals, if my calc is right that makes the depth a little over a foot(1.33ft). 20-30 people is considered "very small" group. Berry College hosted a car show last month with hundreds in attendence. The key person to speak to was out til Monday. I can call then and see what it would take (not much I'm sure) to make it happen. PS- They also have a 6 lane indoor swimming pool.

make comments to danlittle37@hotmail.com

Later,
Dan :laugh:
http://www.berry.edu/vtour/html/main/images/fordhall.jpg
dlittle

Postby g2tiger » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:25 pm

Guys,

Both lakes look great! I will forward this link to the guys down here and see what gives. The video is cool as well. Perhaps we should construct a sinkable "slave ship" that can be refloated for the next video.

How fast is that sub?

Charlie
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby Carcharadon » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:37 pm

Dan, appreciate your interest, and while I cannot comment on behalf of anyone else, even 2 foot of depth is, (for the submarine crowd) kind of, limiting. The pool sounds interesting. Dan, could you tell us more about Berry College? Seems like all I ever hear about is UGA. Do you have an interest in submarines and/or physics, electronics etc? Maybe You Could Help Us out or at least me.

This link shows a pool video of a 4 foot dynamic diving submarine. This is a large community pool located actually next to Lake Mayer in Savannah Georgia. Even in the shallower portions of the pool you can see that in no time the sub can traverse the pool and is somewhat constricted.

http://home.comcast.net/~kdawling85/4ft2006a.wmv

Now that I think of it, the community center pool could even be a possibility for a meeting place. From past experience I know that the group would have to sign a waiver for insurance purposes, meaning that any damage incurred to the pool would be the responsibility of those renting the facility. This is what I had to do in order to film my pool video with the 4 foot.

Charlie, lately I've been getting into some real physics on the topic of fluid dynamics and speed. Now much of this is specific to the Goff design Nautilus but some of the principles apply to other sizes of the Nautilus and other submarines as well. So some of what I've compiled is on my RC group's blog. But from what I've ascertained so far 4 mph is the magic barrier at least for my rendition of the 7 foot Goff Nautilus.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=40728

I'm planning to take the sub out (the 7 foot) this Saturday for some more tests. I'm trying to get some more data for the power versus speed curve.

Any time you guys (The Florida Orcas) feel like heading north by all means drop me an email and maybe we could arrange for a cookout and model boat and submarine get-together at "beautiful" Lake Mayer. Anyone else would be invited as well.

Tom
Carcharadon

Postby wolfsong » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:16 pm

tom, i think you are right.. 2 ft water is a little to shallow... that don't even get me to periscope depth on my typhoon :cool:

it would be great if we could find something, that is close to most of us..

i have a 1 hour drive to the orcas and 2hrs to savannah..any thoughts on the kingsland area ? i don't know the area too good.. but i will check into it....
and kingsland has the sub-base anyway..
maybe charly or warren has an idea

regards
stefan

ps.. im working on a logo again for the subcomm deep south..
will post it soon

wolfsong

Postby Carcharadon » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:26 pm

Stefan, your sub needs some elbow room. And quite a sub I might add. I did work at Kings Bay, environmental work and magnetometer survey, one of the cleanest harbors I ever surveyed. Also dove with some of the Navy divers but that was a while back.

I've been trying to check out borrow pits. I can remember diving in one, it wasn't very interesting because the water was crystal clear about 40 foot deep and just a barren sand bottom, but it would be perfect for submarines. Warren may have a few suggestions. With Google Earth I've been able to at least identify some possible sites but have yet to ground truth anything. Problem is most everything around here is turbid.
Carcharadon

Postby dlittle » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:31 pm

Hi,
Dan here. I know northwest Georgia is probably not the first choice of locations for everyone, but I thought I would follow up on the info I started. I spoke with a rep at Berry College and the pool is a possibility. It IS 75'x35', 9 foor deep on one end and 3.5 foot on the other. And it is an indoor pool.
If nothing else is going on, it is most probable that it would be available for Sat and Sun. Rome GA is large enough it has all the major eateries and Motels, minor league baseball team and indooor areans foorball (just to give you an idea).

I would think doing the indoor pool thing is possible at some other college/university anywhere else there is a pool with a P.R. dept. I would check into it, but I don't know where everyone is located. It seems I asked this before, but it was a long time ago.

What about a location like Valdosta GA? OR the Florida Georga line general area???
dlittle

Next

Return to SubComDeepSouth