Banner Ad 1

Need Documentation for Permit long hulls - I'm researchng SSN-605 and need help!

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Mermaid » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:43 pm

:laugh: I understand Jeff. I do have a lot of things on my plate right now (health problems primarily) and haven't been able to do as much as I would have liked. Well, I guess time will tell won't it? :)
Mermaid
SubCommittee Member

Location: 613-1200 Talwood Court, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. K9J 7X3

Postby expfcwintergreen » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:31 pm

Diane,
With your vast experience, surely you have built *something* worthy of showing the group.

To be honest, from what I have heard here and on other sites, I question whether you have built anything. I also question your on-line identity. I do not think you are who you say, rather I believe you to be a kid who is having fun jerkng people around.

Give me some proof, and you will recieve a very public apology from me. If not, please stop wasting people's time.
expfcwintergreen

Postby U812 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:57 pm

Chris,

Your wrong. She's my age. 54. Retired dentist.

And Mermaid. Before you go off on me. I built over ten boats or more in the last year. A lot of them from scratch. I'm selling kits and most of my threads are over at my forum www.subpirates.com.

There are a lot here too. The GW and type 17 building threads are here but having to double post here and my site is a bit much for me these days.

Get a 100 dollar digital camera. Take some pictures of your past work and it will put an end to this. We are all a bunch of hard reared builders here and can be a bit ruff. Mostly always in good fun though. don't take us wrong. Sorry to hear about your health problems though. Get that on the mend and all the best.

Steve
U812

Postby Mermaid » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:10 pm

:angry: Actually, I'm 53 not 54. Yes, I've built many things but a model sub is not one of them. Mostly, I was involved in flying and static display aircraft modelling. I became fascinated by subs back in 1991 and joined the group back then but let my membership laps after two years. Later, after leaving dental practice and moving to Peterborough, I pursued my interest in amateur astronomy. Unfortunately, my eyes started to develop cataracts and stargazing became much less attractive. So, I rejoined the SubCommittee last year. I'm certainly not a kid who is trying to jerk people around XPFCWINTERGREEN!!! Because I've been out of modelling for many years and have not built a sub model to date, I've been asking for advice to improve my chances of producing a really good model. Was I wrong to ask? Everyone has to start someplace!! To date, I have invested hundreds of dollars (which we could ill afford to spend) in my Type VII C build. I had intended to start it way before now but encountered some unavoidable (like my health) setbacks. I didn't realize that living up to other's expectations was a requirement of SubCommittee membership!
:(

Edited By Mermaid on 1150224102
Mermaid
SubCommittee Member

Postby Gerwalk » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:33 pm

Diane,
I'm sorry to learn about your health problems. It's a shame that you receive that sort of replies here.

Diane has initiated interesting discussions on submarines details during this year, the kind of discussions that keep me coming here and to SP everyday. For example: One of the most interesting ones involved several senior modelers explaining how they reproduce anechoic tiles on their subs. Hardly a topic a "kid" could possibly follow. She has also kindly shared with me very interesting materials and comments.

I too ask more questions than models I build, So what? I love gathering information just for the heck of it and for my projects (it is called curiosity, and yes that is something a kid has and it is one of the things that prevents mind ageing better than any other thing! :;): ) .
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby expfcwintergreen » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:23 pm

Still nothing concrete.
Joined back in '91, quit, and a member now? Yet you are a registered user. Why is that? Maybe I can look back in the membership archives.

Collecting info is one thing, wasting people's time arguing over the source material (and from what I'm told, much of it coming from sources which are beyond question) is another.

You still remain in the Himzy category Diane (if that is indeed your true name...)

And no, living up to other people's expectations is not a requirement. I in no way represent the SC. I do get offended when my friends are used.
expfcwintergreen

Postby U812 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:41 pm

Not to mention I answered a post where you stated that you thought the Revell type 7 was too small to RC while for months Dave Welch had been working on a WTC just for it that I used, made a build thread and video of it in full operation.

I provided you with the links and tried to help you. I didn't even get a thank you or an acknowledgment from you. It was as though I had never posted or tried to help. Rude so you get rude back. How do you like it?

And in response to your last post all I can say is, "I thought so".

And Gerwalk. Really. You don't know what your talking about here. You know me. I go out of my way to help people in this hobby as they have helped me. It's an honor not a chore. I just expect a little thank you now and again. Is that so much to ask? So when I'm given the brush and handled as if I don't even exist what do you expect from me? To continuing being friendly? Maybe that's your way but it sure as h ell isn't mine.

And last. You are 54 this year as you were born in 1952 as I was. Still clinging to those few months? It will get you know where except old before your time. Lighten up! And one last thing. If you have spent 100's of dollars on the type 7 you could afford a 100 bucks for a basic digital camera to document your work? I don't understand that. Don't answer. It really wasn't a question just an observation.

U812
U812

Postby Mermaid » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:13 pm

I feel that this type of confrontational exchange is totally unseemly and uncalled for. I can't help but wonder where all the animosity is coming from. I've tried to acknowledge help and advice when it has been given. I may have forgotten to thank specific individuals on occasion and for that, I apologise. I'm not particular about my age but technically, it is 53 at the moment. It is not for anyone but myself to decide on my equipment purchases. If you MUST know, I've been saving up to get a reasonably good camera as opposed to a$100 piece of junk. :(
Mermaid
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:23 pm

Guys - Diane is legit. I spoke with her on the phone awhile back. Hey Diane - to me 54 IS a kid (I'm turning 56 this Aug). :D

I know I asked a ton of questions when I was getting started - had a number of false starts on what first sub model to build and so on. I suspect a lot of us did way back when. I got ripped by the great Art Meyer for it - and later he became a dear friend.

However, maybe if I hadn't been so crazy about subs, I might have gone looking for another hobby to join because of his snippy razzing. Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say here is - if you don't feel like answering questions, just don't answer them. It's only a hobby. If you aren't having fun, or you're mad about something- you're doing it wrong.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby expfcwintergreen » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:26 pm

Diane,
You argue every point, disregard every suggestion and pretty much present yourself as better, smarter and more talented than anyone else. Don't believe me? Go back and re-read all of your posts here and on RC Groups.

Yes, there are others who come across the same way, but they have backed up their attitude with some darn fine work and lots of it too.

You can play the martyr, but it only comes across as pathetic. Come down off your high horse, share some of your work and we can all play nicely with our toy boats.

Chris
expfcwintergreen

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:14 pm

Mermaid wrote:I didn't realize that living up to other's expectations was a requirement of SubCommittee membership!

A couple of things.....

First, membership in the SC is not a requirement for participating in the SC forums. Just being polite is. We run a fairly open ship here and try to moderate as lightly as is practical given the mission of the SubCommittee.

Second, asking questions is always encouraged. Just like Tim said, we all started out by asking questions. I'm sure that at one time even David Merriman had to ask questions. :D

Third, whether you intended to or not, Diane, you have both publically and privately chosen not to accept the real-world advice of the very experts that you are asking to give you answers. That is certainly your right to do so...but it is also their right to stop trying to help you. This is not a right vs. wrong thing, but most of people here have busy lives and are going out of their way to help and not seeing the benefit. All they see is someone with no apparent experience telling them that what they have been doing successfully for years won't work. If you have a better idea, then all of us will support your going forward with it and making it work.

Fourth, and perhaps unintentionally, you have asked for help and information on a number of different submarine subjects....all with the stated intention of building something. You appear to be leaping from one sub project to the next without any sign of having built anything. That's an observation, not necessarily what is happening.

Finally, I have noticed a tendancy on your part to go back and edit your posts in order to (subtely) change what you originally asked. To a number of folks, this comes across badly. There's nothing wrong with stating in a follow-on reply that you asked the wrong question or didn't understand what someone said. Be upfront and honest as you go through your R/C sub learning experience....it works better that way!

So if everyone is done with this subject, can we get back to building boats?

-tnx,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby expfcwintergreen » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:51 pm

Well put Jeff.
Standing down.
expfcwintergreen

Postby U812 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:00 pm

Done.

U812
U812

Postby Mermaid » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:37 pm

Jeff: I've edited my posts and replies primarily because I've caught typos after I had submitted them. Before committing myself, I wished to gather as much info as possible. Being new to the hobby and having relatively limited resources, it has taken me a while to decide which project or projects to pursue. :)
Mermaid
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to Static Modeler