Banner Ad 1

Newbie requires help on IJN submarines - + lettering for Glen aircraft

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby fizzychops » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:45 am

Hi All,

My knowledge on subs is basically nil but I want to make a diorama with Tamiya's 1/700 I16 and I-58 model subs. Although the two subs I want to depict did carry a mini-sub and a Glen floatplane like the I-16 and I-58 included, the numbers are different and I want to know if these two are close enough to depict the subs listed below. Though I am sure there would be differences. If the differences are not that big then I am happy to leave as is or modify a little.
The subs in questions are the ones that attacked Sydney, Australia in May 1942. The subs carrying the mini 2-man subs were:
I-22, I-24 and I-27.
There were two other subs carrying 'Glen' float planes but I want to do the I-21 that had Ito flying the Glen before the attack.
Out of the 3 above, are they close to the I-16 or I-58? For the I-21 which one out of the I-16 and I-58 is closer?
I've tried to search on the web but as Japanese submarines are not my speciality I found the whole thing confusing.
Any help would be appreciated or direction to follow.

Also, what font is used for lettering on 'Glen' aircraft? I attach a picture to explain exactly what I need. Are there any after market decals? If not, if I can find the right font, I can produce them myself.
Thanks in advance.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j288/fizzychops/glen-i25-lewa.jpg
fizzychops

Postby Tom Dougherty » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:56 am

Here we go...
According to Carpenter and Polmar, I-22 and I-24 were smaller C1 type attack submarines, and I-27 was a larger B1 type submarine. The I-27 had a hanger and catapult forward of the conning tower fairwater; the first two did not.
The I-22 & 24 would be close to the I-16 (same series), although all three were built at different yards. I-58 was a B3 scouting submarine, and did carry aircraft, with a low, semi-recessed hanger and catapult forward of the sail. This series was externally highly similar to the B1 series; the changes were internal (smaller diesels, more oil bunkers). Close enough for your purposes.

The Glen float plane marking is in Kanji. I would guess that someone makes Kanji decals. Good luck with your models; please come back with pictures of your completed diorama!

Edited By Tom Dougherty on 1149989292
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby gantu » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:28 am

gantu

Postby Gerwalk » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:18 pm

You may want to check this book:
Japanese Submarine Aircraft, Tadeusz Januszweski, Musroom Model Magazine Special, ISBN 83-916327-0-9.

There is not a single picture of the Glen onboard the I-21 though it's mission is discribed.

I wonder how big the lettering of a 1/700 scale Glen could be.
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby fizzychops » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the quick responses.

Tom, thanks for that info. I feel much better that near enough is close enough! Thanks again.

Gerwalk, I've been trying to find that book for years. Also I should have been more clear and point out that the Glen I have is in 1/72. I don't think you could see the lettering in 1/700!! :D

I'll try to find some Kanji decals.

Thanks for the link Gantu. I'll ask here as well.

Thanks
fizzychops

Return to Static Modeler