Banner Ad 1

Canberra SubRegatta Photos posted - A great weekend!

Eastern States of Australia

Postby Bradv » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:42 pm

Hi All,

I've now posted some photos of the 3rd Australian Model Submarine Regatta on the SubCommittee site here. These are mostly underwater shots - I'm sure that others have heaps of very nice surface shots which I'd like to see posted too! If I've mis-labeled any of your subs, let me know and I'll have this corrected. It was a little hard to remember details of all the 40+ subs present. :D

A HUGE thanks goes to Karl, Gwen & the ACT Model Boat Club for running this fantastic event, ably assisted by Al C. It was a most enjoyable (and helpfull) weekend!
Brad
Triple "S" Model Boat Group - http://triple-s.org.au
Bradv

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:51 pm

It looks like everyone had a great time!

Any chance you could provide a write-up of the event for the SCR? We could put it in the Local Chapters section or if someone wanted to write a full-blown article, we could run it separately.

-tnx,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bradv » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:09 pm

Yup, I can do that :cool:

It'll probably be in a couple of weeks once I've fixed my Kilo. Running into walls isn't too healthy for a thin, soft-steel prop shaft. But the new stainless steel ones I bought at the Regatta will work a treat!

Are submissions in OpenOffice format OK?
Brad
Bradv

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:13 pm

I think that will work okay. Worse case, save it as a text (.txt) file and that'll work.

-many thanks!

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby David H » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:33 pm

Dear brad,

love the photo's!

A couple of questions, what is the name of the grey sealant stuff you use on your compartments?

Secondly , Ive started designing my next wtc. I'm thinking of using a smaller type bottle top. Are they really that good??

regards,

David Hughes. :)
"Baldrick ,you would'nt recognise a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced on top a harpsichord singing "Subtle plans are here again!!" Blackadder.
David H

Postby Bradv » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:13 am

Hey David,

It was great to catch up with you at the regatta :)

The grey sealant I use is Selly's Brick & Concrete Silicone, available at any hardware store. I use this as it doesn't gas off acetic acid as it cures like a lot of the clear stuff (*bad* for electronic equipment) and being designed for outdoor use, it handles submersion quite well. It doesn't conduct, so I even use it to cover electronic components in free-flood areas. Due to its colour, you can also see if you've missed any spots when making a seal :D Once it cures, it can also be trimmed to neaten it up a little. I admit it's not the most aesthetic solution, but it does seal *extremely* well.

For creating a nice, large vent in a WTC the softdrink bottle tops work really well - I have them on both the my Kilo and the Akula (as per its building instructions from Dumas), and neither has ever leaked a drop down to 6-8 feet, which is about as deep as my subs have respectively gone. They're too small to get an equipment tray in & out through, but as a vent/drain they're a good size. I don't remember the exact measurement but the neck of the bottle top fits one of the imperial holesaws perfectly, so it grips the WTC nicely when inserted. The flat ring on the bottle neck just under the cap also makes a very nice seal onto the WTC. I pop some silicone on & under this ring, push it down onto the WTC and then for good measure silicon the join of the two inside the WTC as well. The silicone is extremely adhesive and holds both together very tightly. If the bottle cap or disk seal inside it ever degrades, just get another one!

So, what's your next sub? I think the variety you've done is great!!

Edited By Bradv on 1145524879
Brad
Bradv

Postby David H » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:24 pm

Dear brad,

I'm currently doing detailed design work on my second WTC. It will be similair layout to the first one however will feature lots of smaller modifications. It will have slosh baffles in the tank. A small bottle end at the back and the end caps are made out of an artistic "frosted blue" acrylic...

regards,
DAvid h :)
"Baldrick ,you would'nt recognise a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced on top a harpsichord singing "Subtle plans are here again!!" Blackadder.
David H

Postby Bradv » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:56 pm

Artistic AND funtional! Way to go!
I look forward to seeing your new creation :)
Brad
Bradv

Return to SubComAust