Banner Ad 1

Halibut / Regulas kit

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby georget » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:58 pm

Hi All, does anyone know if there is a 1/350 scale kit of either?
George :D
georget

Postby Tom Dougherty » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:57 am

Yes, Combat Subs (Pitroad) makes a resin 1/350 scale SSGN USS Halibut. I featured a build of it in the Static on the Line Column in Issue 51 of the SubCommittee Report. I did the "out of box" Regulus version, along with the Special Operations version used after the Regulus missile was retired. That version required some modifcation & scratchbuilding. These were built for the 2002 USS Halibut Crew Reunion.

The kits are relatively simple, but you need some basic scratchbuilding skills, as you need to build the propeller struts and supports. The directions are in Japanese, but well illustrated. In the kit, you get a tiny Regulus I missile in resin, with a miniscule tail rudder (inexplicably) as a separate white metal piece. BTW, Combat Subs also have an excellent model of the SSG USS Grayback, a diesel powered Regulus boat, which comes with the Regulus II missile (which looks way cooler than the Regulus I). If you are really into cruise-missile firing subs, they also make a Russian Julliett (alas, without the missiles).

Here's a link to a brief write up and some photos of the completed models.
USS Halibut Models

I obtained the kits from Pacific Front Hobbies, as they are not generally stocked in the US. Here's the PacFront link to the Combat Subs kits, it is kit CS-07:
Combat Subs kits at PacFront

Edited By Tom Dougherty on 1145394474
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby Gerwalk » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:04 am

Nice models!
Tom: I have a question regarding the Special ops version: Why did you omit the notorious protruding bow thruster motor? Was it removed sometime during her career as a Special Ops sub?

In the "Spy Sub" book the author mentions the faulty installation of this device and says that they keep it there even if it was worthless (I'm not very convinced that that was actually the motor of a thruster :cool: )
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Tom Dougherty » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:06 pm

Tom: I have a question regarding the Special ops version: Why did you omit the notorious protruding bow thruster motor? Was it removed sometime during her career as a Special Ops sub?

A single test thruster was installed on top of the hanger for a short time period in the late 1960's. It worked poorly. A much more useful set of thrusters were installed under the deck superstructure in a later overhaul, which also installed the mixed gas diving chamber for saturation divers. At no point was the old thruster atop the hanger on the boat while the diving chamber was on the upper stern deck casing.

The new thrusters are represented by two openings in the bow (one atop the other, forward of the dive planes) and two in the stern (side by side, near the end of the false deck superstructure, just under the diving chamber forward support strut). If you look carefully, they are on the Special Ops version model I built. I have several photos of Halibut with these thrusters, including a Hi Rez photo I obtained form the crew. The Spec Ops version of Seawolf (SSN 575) also got the same thruster outfitting. Instead of the "DSRV Simulator" (diver chamber), Seawolf was cut in half & a 53 foot long plug added.

Edited By Tom Dougherty on 1145293975
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby Gerwalk » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:36 pm

Thanks! :)
Pablo
Gerwalk

Return to Static Modeler