Banner Ad 1

Announcement: SubRegatta '06 - July 29-30, 2006

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:58 pm

Folks,

It is with great pleasure that I post this announcement for SubRegatta '06.

SubRon6, with the support of the Indy Admirals, have presented a proposal for the hosting of SubRegatta '06 in Carmel, IN over the weekend of July 29-30, 2006. Those who were able to attend this year's event will recognize the outstanding efforts that John Schagne, Tim Smalley, Chris Campbell and their staff did in pulling together the regatta.

The Executive Committee has reviewed their proposal, along with all the feedback that has been received, and is very pleased to be able to accept and approve the SubRon6 proposal. We are looking forward to next year's regatta as not just being as good as this year's.....but even better!

I look forward to seeing you this July in Carmel,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby subdude » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:38 pm

Awesome !!!

:) :) :) :) :)
Underwater, the ONLY way to fly!

SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time)
subdude
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:44 pm

Sounds like a plan to me!! Count me in!! :D :cool:
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:17 pm

This is great news. Way to go Subron6. You Rock! And the Admirals too.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:31 pm

Thanks Pete -
We are looking forward to another great SubRegatta in '06. Now that we "have it down" I think we will be able to enjoy the event a little more with running our own subs.

If anyone has any ideas about how to make the event better (speakers for Sat night, etc), let me know. Of course beware that if you have any bright ideas, you may be drafted to help make them happen :D .

I suspect most everything will be the same as last year - except I would like to try to find an official hotel with a meeting area that we could use for Fri and Sat event without charging the proverbial arm, leg and third body part for the use of the room!

There will be more info posted soon, but for heaven's sake, cross out the weekend on the calendar RIGHT NOW so your significant other doesn't book the weekend for her step sister's fourth wedding!

:laugh:

Edited By TMSmalley on 1135218715
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby donO » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:01 pm

Tim and the Admirals put on one heck of a show last year folks. If you have any way to arrange it you should go this year. I know that the Rochester gang is planning to attend in force again. :D
Don Osler

donO
SubCommittee Member

Postby Lobo » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:24 pm

Has anyone had to book a plane to attend a sub event, & have had to take their sub along with them?
Can this be done? has anyone done it since 9/11?

As much as I would love to attend Subregatta 06, I would really be bummed out not being able to bring my own sub.

Also, I must say my wife has been very tolerable in her travels with me to various parts of the country in pursuit of my hobbies. Luckily, we have always found things of interest for her out & about in the towns we visit.

I am curious as to a few particulars I can offer the wife to make it a trip for the two of us, & not just an event for me!
I am sure Carmel & its surrounding vicinities have areas of attraction for women, (shopping, antiques, etc.) to keep all happy.

Not that my wife would not enjoy the Subregatta in of itself, but she would never play with my sub in public, and that is what the SubRegatta is all about.....!

Thanks
Steve
NYC
Lobo

Postby TMSmalley » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:24 pm

I have taken my Small World Models USS Blueback on airplanes as carry on several times with no problems. I made a case for it out of thinwall PCV pipe clearly marked "MODEL SUBMARINE". I explained to the TSA guy at the x-ray machine what he was about to see and besides the usual "does it really dive?" and "how fast does it go?" questions, no problem! The image on the x-ray screen looked like an artillary round too!

The batteries, Propel can and transmitter were in my checked luggage and they got through fine as well.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:01 pm

Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:16 pm

SubRegatta 2006
July 29-30, 2006 Carmel Indiana, City Reflecting Pond

NEW SUBREGATTA HOTEL FOR 2006!
The Hilton Garden Inn - Carmel Indiana ~ (317) 581-9400 to reserve rooms. 13090 N. Pennsylvania Street, Carmel, Indiana, United States 46032

$89 per night for a king (king bed and sofa sleeper) or double (2 queen sized beds) room. Register before July 14 for this discounted rate and mention that you are with the the SubRegatta.

Be sure to register early, the hotel ran short of special rate rooms last year - this is a popular event!

The Friday and Saturday night events will be at the hotel this year. No running all over town to go to a venue! The hotel’s website is www.indianapoliscarmel.gardeninn.com

SubRegatta Sub Running Venue Carmel City Reflecting Pond ~ Veterans’ Memorial Park 802 3rd Ave SW ~ Carmel, Indiana 46032

For more tourism information about the Carmel/Indianapolis
area email Chris Campbell admiralscommander@hotmail.com

So we can prepare your souvenir name badge* in advance of the event, please send an email with your name, city, state plus your subron affiliation (if any) and contact info to: [url=SubRegatta2006@yahoo.com]SubRegatta2006@yahoo.com[/url] no later than July 14.

Or “snail mail” it to John Schagane 1708 Twain Ridge Drive, Lexington,KY 40514-1841

*name badges are required for those running boats and checking transmitters in and out of the Radio Impound

The map below shows the relative position of the hotel and the pond. You can also go to Mapquest.com and enter the addresses of the location to get your own maps.

[url=SubRegatta2006@yahoo.com]SubRegatta2006@yahoo.com[/url]
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby eckloss » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:37 pm

Tim

I'd be happy to have the cakes done again this year, if wanted, for any meet-n-greet.

Erich
eckloss
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:18 pm

Yes Please! I was just about to email you about that.
This time you can just bring it to the hotel. I have to remember to shoot a photo before the locusts descend upon it this year :;):
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby eckloss » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:52 pm

No problem. I'll get on it and make sure I can make it happpen. Hopefully the cakemaker isnt taking sides in my separation and will help us out.

I'm staying at the Hilton Garden this year so it should all work out fine.

I'll keep you updated.

Erich
eckloss
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:21 am

Lobo, hope you see this. . . Couldn't e-mail the info. directly cuz you haven't yet posted a home page with your address. (Do it.)

Jim Butt did a great article about constructing just the sort of PVC small sub carrier Tim is talking about above. It's in SCR issue #38 (September, 1999). I did my own article about traveling by air post-9/11 with one of Jim's carry cases. It ran in SCR issue #50 (September, 2002). If you don't want to buy these back issues and have no access to local members willing to loan 'em, lemme know and I can snailmail photocopies.

Best,
Jeff Porteous

P.S. I still air travel annually with my Blueback in her case and have been fine. I no longer take it as a carry-on though; I pack the case in a cardboard box as if for shipping and check it along with my transmitter/rechargers in their own aluminum carry case. I find this quicker and easier than dealing with the inevitable Security Inquisition, and yet still have the carry case at my destination to transport the boat easily from hotel to run site. Last advice: pack your WTC separately in the big cardboard box when flying. Carrying it within the hull inside the case (at least for the air leg) offers great potential for hull damage if it's handled roughly by airline baggage types. Once back in your own careful hands, you can again transport the complete boat -- WTC within the hull -- via the carry case to the site. (The voice of experience.)

Good luck and see you in Carmel. Perhaps we can patrol together at some point . . .
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:04 am

To all members:
Trust me, I hate to post this.
The only day open for a surgery for me is on the first day of the regatta. This means I will not be able to come.
Don't worry. The surgery is minor, but over due and required.
I was unable to get another day. It is even on my birthday!
I really wanted to meet you all.But have fun,please. I want to hear all about it.
Take pictures :)
Wayne
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas