Banner Ad 1

New Fleet Submarine Book - Jim Christley project

A discussion forum for books and other printed matter dealing with submarines. Registered forum users are encouraged to submit their own book reviews!

Postby Tom Dougherty » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:25 pm

Just in time for your Revell Gato model next year:
US Submarines 1941-45 (New Vanguard) (Paperback)
by Jim Christley, Tony Bryan (Illustrator) Due in January 2006.
48 pages, $10.95.

Book Description:
Naval warfare in the Pacific changed completely with the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. The strategic emphasis shifted from battleships to much more lethal, far-ranging weapons systems; one of these was the submarine. This book details the design and development, classes, weapons and equipment, tactics and operational history of the US submarine in World War II. Detailed tables, photographs, and superb color plates depict the force that had an effect far beyond its size: the submarine accounted for 55% of all Japanese shipping losses, despite suffering the highest percentage loss of any unit of the United State Armed Forces in World War II.

Many of the "old timers" in the SC remember Jim very well, Jim also did all the illustrations for the two volume Friedman "US Submarines....." books. My advice; just BUY IT!!
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby subdude » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:00 am

With Jim Christley's name on the cover, I assure you I'll be in line for a copy. Absolutely everything I've ever seen that Jim has been associated with is nothing less than first rate. If you've never seen any of his plans or illustrations, you've missed out. And, Jim's probably forgotten more about the boats than most of us know. An amazing resource.

Jim Butt
Underwater, the ONLY way to fly!

SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time)
subdude
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:44 am

Jim is THE MAN when it comes to the USS Alligator - he has done most of the research and his work accounts for about 90 precent of what we know about that civil war "submarine propeller". When my copy comes, I am going to send it to him (with return postage) and ask him to sign it. Jim also illustrated Norman Friedman's "US Submarines Since 1945."

Painting by Jim Christley of the USS Alligator and deployed diver. This image - and several others - were used in the Science Channel production of "The Hunt for the USS Alligator".

#

Edited By TMSmalley on 1134575792
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Return to Sub Books