Banner Ad 1

Input needed for Sun N Fun 2006

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

Postby PaulC » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:54 pm

Guys,

I'd like everyone's input on something I've been thinking about for awhile -- moving the Sun N Fun event from late August to early May. There are three main reasons I see to consider doing this:

Weather - it isn't nearly as hot. We've been pretty fortunate over the last three years and the event hasn't been miserable. But I know several people from out of state have refused to make the trip due to August's rep in Texas for being a scorcher.

Timing - Currently, we are the last "major" event on the SC schedule (depending on when the SF regatta is held). We also follow closely on the heels of the "big one" -- SubRegatta -- which is held at the end of July. Holding it in May would make us one of the first and perhaps be more attractive to people who are looking forward to getting their boats in the water. Early May would avoid summer vacation schedule conflicts much the same way August avoids late ones.

Water clarity - While we have enjoyed good conditions all three years, having run on the river earlier in the year I can tell you the San Gabriel gets even prettier the colder it gets. The visibility in late spring is about two feet deeper than it is at the end of the year after the heat has helped everything grow. Yet by May it is warm enough to swim.

The need to make the decision now, even though our last event was only three months ago, is obvious. If we move to May then we're only six months away and need to line some things up. So, let me hear from you!
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby BoomerFunker » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:43 am

Since I got here first here goes...

I feel the weather issue may be being used as something of an excuse. I have attended twice and both times its been hotter
or as hot when we passed through Kansas as it ended up being in Georgetown. It takes money, vacation, and I guess dedication for those of us travelling from out of state to go. I'm thinking the no-shows are lacking in one of the three above rather than worried about the heat. Odds on the third.
The timing of the event May versus August which is better, is beyond my reckoning but knowing in advance I can attend any time we so choose. Perhaps it would work better for some peoples' schedules in May BUT... first we should find out if those fellas working on new boats (Carl, Wayne) are planning on being ready by next August but not so ready in May. They've both always attended and should get be given a chance to show off their work to the rest of us.
Finally, there was talk once of TWO events in the chapter area during the year. Having met The Colorado Crew and some of their bubbleheads it seems reasonable that they could sponsor an event at the beautiful venue where they hold their annual regatta. Maybe they will pipe up here.
Its always been great fun and anyone that can attend, should. Its worth the effort and its with a great bunch of guys
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:59 pm

Tom,

I'm with you on the weather. Being born and raised here I take it in stride. But I can see how if you're living in the Rocky mountains or somewhere else more temperate, making the investment to spend the weeekend outside in 95F. would mean a real commitment.

Of the three, my big thing is the river conditions. When Gail and I were there May 2004 it was the prettiest I've seen it. Not that it's been bad any of the times we've been there in August, it's just if I had to choose between the two...

Very good point about the building, though. Wayne, Carl, what's your construction schedule look like?
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:50 pm

Well, the building isn't happening so far. I'm still swamped at work, there's a magazine to put out every quarter, and my garage is a total disaster area. I barely have room to walk thru it, let alone work in it. And I'm way behind on my honey-do projects, too...

My first priority in the shop is to get the shop functional again, with building new workbenches, storage, etc to get the mess off the floor and workbenches and get it put up. I don't have a lot of time to spend tinkering in the garage, so I need it cleaned up so I can just go out there and work rather than spending all my time making a clear spot to work.

The weather in Auguest isn't a big deal for me. And remember -- I grew up in Indiana, where the "hot" weather was usually in the 80's and air conditioners were truly a luxury item! It hasn't been a problem for my wife, either, and she's a native hoosier like me. However, May would probably be more enjoyable, especially if the water is more clear. And for me, I doubt May vs August for having a working sub is going to matter one way or the other... :(

Did we want to pursue Aquarena Springs? We mentioned trying to check them out for our next Sun-n-Fun. I've got their contact info, and could contact them and see if they'd let us use the place. They've been taken over by SouthWest Texas State University, so Ralph the Swimming Pig is gone, as are all the little kiddie rides. Being able to use the tank were they used to do the underwater theater and Ralph the Swimming pig would be great for spectators and sub drivers alike (although I'm not sure if the tank is still in use), but even being able to use the clear water in the springs would be terrific. You could maybe get pictures of subs thru the glass bottom boats they have there...

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby PaulC » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:07 pm

I did a little research on San Marcus. The old Aquarena Springs resort is closed. The facility was bought by Texas State University and is pretty tightly controlled (factions want to revert it back to its natural state, etc.). They still do the glass bottom boat thing but that's pretty much it beyond educational displays. I can't see anything that suggests the old venues are available for public use.

There is the San Marcos Inn which is on the back side of Spring Lake where Aquarena was. Can't find any online pictures of what the water access is like there. The rooms are reasonably priced.

The city of San Marcus has quite a few parks on, and around, the river. For us the most promising of these looks to be Rio Vista Park. It's on the river with good access, several pavilions which can be rented, restrooms, parking, etc. Its right in the middle of town so there are plenty of hotels and restaurants.

One thing I had forgotten about Spring Lake was how deep it is. The river itself is a constant 73F. and is crystal clear year round.

Obviously a reconnoiter is in order. What are the odds of some of the Austin crew running over there and checking things out? I've downloaded a map of the city parks which I can send to you.

Regarding garage shops: just do what I do, Carl -- build on the kitchen table! :)

Edited By PaulC on 1133547330
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:52 am

Paul,

Not sure how soon I can arrange a recon mission to San Marcos, but I'll work on it.

As for the kitchen table -- Julie must be a lot more tolerant of your hobbies than Jennifer is of mine! :D

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby Tommydeen » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:08 am

Hey guys... guess i will chim in here. moving the texas fun run to may sounds like a good idea. nice weather there. and the clearity of the water would be a seller for me. i moved to colorado to get away from the humidity of Ohio..as far as a all sub fun run/regatta it was talked about at the last round table at the crew clubhouse a monthago and thats as far as it got but if more people showed intrest in a all sub funrun
it wouldent hard to put on. it would be the right weekend
to do it.. also its fun mixing it up with the surface guys. we also tryed a new event at the regatta (missions) its fun but needs refinement. anybody want to talk about this drop me a line and we can talk..
Tom
Tommydeen
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubRon5