Banner Ad 1

Speed controllers - Looking for recommendations

Post your favorite modeling 'tips' and 'tricks'

Postby Pirate » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:38 pm

I've been using a SubTech speed controller with their motor and gear drive, but i'm using six volt power. I wasn't getting enough speed out of it, so I tried a 6V Dumas motor, I think 500, but direct drive to get more speed.

The problem is, the speed controller keeps cutting out. It does come back after a few minutes, but it's very frustrating.

I finally found a descent Mhz/hr size 12V dry cell battery that's smaller than my current 6V, but I'm afraid it will just make the problem worse.

Any suggestions on the speed controller, or a different motor configuration?

Thanks,
Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveUK » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:42 pm

Hi Pete, while I'm not an expert on this I can tell you what I have only just learnt myself. The reason for gearing 2.5:1 or even 3:1 is to reduce the load on the electric motor. The gearing allows the motor to spin faster which reduces the electrical load on it and hence also the current pull. Normally the geared output going slower than direct drive is not a problem since it is usual to be turning a large diameter six or seven bladed prop - plenty of thrust at slower revs.

This is why since you have ditched the gear train you keep overloading the speed controller. Direct driving this new, more powerfull motor is pulling too much power form the speed controller and its thermal cutout is coming in.

My suggestion is - Try your new more powerfull motor through the gear train if you can. It may solve the problem without having to change speed controller. The new motor is more powerfull so even through the gear train you will get more speed. Also you will have much more playing time from your battery as running through gears uses up less power.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Pirate » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:12 pm

Thanks for your input Steve.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Return to Modeling Tips and Tricks