Banner Ad 1

International Model Boat Show

The United Kingdom Local Chapter

Postby Himszy » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:59 pm

I'm heading off to the show tomorrow, and taking my lunch with me :D. Feed back?

Michael
Himszy

Postby SteveUK » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:36 pm

A very enjoyable show. I managed to spend £50 just on bits! Should have enough stuff now to make my U-boat operational..

I looked out for you guys at the AMS stand. ..They were not very happy when I mentioned the name Subcommittee UK! Seems like bad blood there for some reason. I explained that it was mentioned here on the Subcommittee forum to meet at the AMS stand. I dont understand thier animosity, maybe they would preferr I joined the AMS instead. Felt like a "them and us" vibe. Well I'll know for next time. Shame.. I thought a shared interest in model subs would be enough to get along with new faces. :(

One thing I forgot to take was my camera (DOH!) Sorry guys. I meant to take some pics of the subs that were there and post them up here for all to see. Hopefully someone else will have taken some. As well as my Scratch Nautilus , type VII U-boat, and USS Dallas Nuc sub I saw the follwing other R/C sub models: Russian Typhoon, Brittish Swiftsure (I think!), Resolution, WWII V-class, Chariot, German Seehund, Type IX U-boat, Revell U-boat and a Dumas Bluefish (American Gato type). Not a bad turnout for subs.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:16 pm

Steve,

...well, there were some problems between some now ex-SubCommitteeUK folks and AMS....but as far as I know, we should be good with AMS.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:40 am

I was there yesterday. Apparantly someone came asking after me at the AMS stand, however I just came along as a visitor, so wasn't manning the stand as such.

I took quite a few pictures, and will post later on today when I have access to my PC (at work at the moment).

I didn't buy much there- I think I have everything I need already to be honest, however i did spot some lovely small drive couplings on the Deans marine stand, and I've logged that for future reference.

Steve, I'm sorry to hear you felt the AMS were a little hostile. It's completely contrary to my own experience, and at least two of the guys who were manning the stand yesterday are Sub Committee members.

In regard to Sub Com UK, as I'm sure you know, a lot of members left the AMS a number of years back over some disagreement or other.

For some, the acrimony may still be fresh in their minds, but it all happened before I was involved with the hobby, and I think folk should just draw a line under it and move on.

In my view, there's everything to be gained and nothing to be lost with the two organisations working together to improve and promote the hobby.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Paul von Braun » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:11 am

Well, I thought it was a good little stand - manned by some really friendly chaps. Okay, one or two were a bit miffed anytime the sc got mentioned in conversation, but by and large the mood was good.
Just decided to keep the conversation to subs rather than political alliances.
Glad I went, even if the entry fee was a bit steep.

Paul.
Website detailing OTW Designs Type VIIc build: http://www.u96.freewebspace.com
Paul von Braun

Postby SteveUK » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:21 am

It was me asking about you at the AMS stand Andy. I always like to meet others off the boards. They said you were around somewhere on the Sunday. We must have missed each other.

No I didn't know about the members disagreement and leaving thing. But as you say
and I think folk should just draw a line under it and move on.

In my view, there's everything to be gained and nothing to be lost with the two organisations working together to improve and promote the hobby.
- I totally agree. :)
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Sub culture » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:54 am

Ah, that's that little mystery solved then. Well I'm sure our paths will cross in the future....wouldn't mind a copy of your nautilus hull! ;)

Piccies...........................

Edited By Sub culture on 1134496006

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:55 am

Edited By Sub culture on 1134496054

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveUK » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:46 pm

Wow great clear pictures.
You got in close to get Nemo in his wheelhouse. :)
You know when they say "they broke the mould with this one" well it really did happen. First the original balsa wood plug got stuck in the mould, got destroyed getting it out. Then the moulding got stuck in the mould and I had to break the mould off to get my casting. It was my first attempt at fibreglass moulding. I have got a little better since.
So I only got one moulding out of it. But there are a number of Nautilus hulls being manufactured now and also very comprehensive data/plans available for free if you wanted to build one.
here http://www.disneysub.com/forum/

What type of sub is the one with grey tower and the number 7 just visible, an early Brittish ? I like to see some of the more uncommon subs being modelled.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Sub culture » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:34 pm

That is an R-class boat.

First Hunter Killer boat in the world, they were built during WWI but scrapped soon after by a very shortsighted Admiralty.
An unusual modelling subject.

Built and owned by Dave Forrest, who is a member of the Sub Committee and AMS, and posts on these boards under the nickname 'Davy'.

It was sporting an unusual detachable thruster, which I'm sure Dave will elaborate on. This was fixed under the craft and used to augment the poor turning ability of the boat. With this thruster attached, it could turn in it's own length.

Dave was good enough to give me a lift back to the train station at Leamington Spa, saving me a long walk. Cheers Dave!

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveUK » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:07 pm

An unusual modelling subject indeed!
The only problem with doing such craft is getting hold of plans and ref pics. I am interested in doing a WWII U or V class, again at 1/48 but even this is proving hard to get hold of decent info. I keep scouring old bookshops looking for good pics in out of print books. Not a lot forthcoming.

So..did Davy find a really comprehensive book for his project?
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Sub culture » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:20 am

I think Dave got the drawings from the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich.

Don't know if there are any books on the boat to be honest.

Another place to try, is to contact the Submarine Museum at Gosport.

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveUK » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:44 am

Gosport, that's a good idea. They may even have a whole book available. I'll check it out.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Sub culture » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:33 am

Couple more pics of the R-class, as it seems to have stirred some interest. Sorry about the poor quality of the images here. My digicam, which is little more than a 'point and shoot' kept throwing the exposure out, as it was adjusting to flash bounce from the white ensign. Had to digitally 'push' the images to make them viewable.

Edited By Sub culture on 1134496092

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Davy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:10 pm

Just got back from the boat show - which I very much enjoyed.

Thanks for the interest in my R7, The research was mostly at Greenwich and the RN submarine museum, Gosport. Otherwise not much written about them.

For British subs I would also recommend a review manual BR3045 available on the Barrow Submariners Association website.

If any one would like a copy of the R7 article published in the AMS journal. Please email me.
Davy

PreviousNext

Return to SubCommittee GB