Banner Ad 1

West Coast Sub Regatta

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby anderboat » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:24 pm

Just received a phone call from San Francisco Parks and Rec., we now have use of the San Francisco Casting Club pond for September 17th and 18th. Sorry for the short notice but this has taken months to get a firm date. I will post more information in a few days.
Thank You
Tom Anderson
SubComMI
anderboat
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:22 am

Anyone who hasn't been to this event is really missing something great. The flycasting ponds are perfect for running subs!

Edited By TMSmalley on 1123767156
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby seaphoto » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:09 pm

Tom,

Is the Military Regatta officially dead then? Our last communication indicated that future events might go back to the joint surface / submarine formula that proved so successful in the past.

Kurt
Kurt Greiner - Former SC Member #0194
Seaphoto Maritime Photography
Featuring many submarine photos!
http://warshipphotos.com
And Warship Models Underway

http://www.warshipmodelsunderway.com
seaphoto

Postby anderboat » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:52 pm

This will just be a SubComMI Fun Run. My last conversation about a Military Ship Regatta with the San Francisco Model Yacht Club Power Squadron was that they were going to only focus on the traditional events that the club has held in the past. They did however mention that the Military Ship Regatta was one of their better events! But then went onto the problem with securing use of the casting pond. Securing the pond has been a tough one.
I would be open to a joint event like we had talked about last year. The Military Ship Regatta always went well. Now with the Iowa being voted down by SF, maybe we should not be calling this a Military Regatta!
Anyway, I want to get back to the original SubComMI roots when we started in 1995 at the Ownes Center on Mare Island, and the regattas held at the California Maritime Academy.
October is still a good month for weather in the Bay Area and we have had I think two regatts in October there, with last years being on the last weekend of September. Having a joint regatta every year would be great.
anderboat
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:55 pm

All,

I talked with the Power Officer of the SFMYC last fall. The SFMYC and the flycasting guys had a major spat a few years back that came to a head after the last Military Ship Regatta. Since then the SFMYC has been denied use of the flycasting pond. The fact that the city removed the nearby parking in order to beautify the park didn't help any, as many senior members of the SFMYC weren't interested in the flycasting pond w/o the parking (it was too far to carry heavy boats). This is why there was no Military Ship Regatta last year, and why Tom was on his own last year setting up the Sub Regatta.

The Power Officer said he would love to see the Military Ship Regatta be held again at the flycasting pond, but right now they simply can't.

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby mar7ck » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:46 pm

We have the fly casting for this year is ours for the dates posted by Tom Anderson.

Mar7ck
The Small Sub Guy
Mar7ck
The Small Sub Guy
mar7ck
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:17 pm

For a full-sized map to the San Fran SubRegatta Sept 17-18 2005, go to my website at RC-Submarines.com and click on SubRegattas. It is the top item on that page. Contact Tom Anderson for other info you may need anderboat@aol.com

Wish I could go but I'll be in Portland OR that weekend. Maybe I'll stop to see the Blueback!
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby D Manley » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:13 pm

We will be there on Saturday, so do I understand correctly that this is a fun run like last year with no course or judging?
I will be bringing my 1/96 BB 60 and my kilo and the trenchant.
And possibly the prototype for the upcoming 1/96 scale WW-2 Jap DD Hatzuzuki!

David Manley
:D
D Manley

Postby bcliffe » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:37 pm

Bad Luck. I am going to be in the San Fran area for a week, but am actually heading home on the 17th ... if I only new earlier I could have adjusted my travel arrangments, and brought a boat.

Anybody going to be in the San Fran area early and want to hook up for a drink the Friday night before the event?

Cheers
BC
What goes down, must come up .... eventually !
bcliffe

Postby WILLOUDMAYER » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:01 am

This is one event that I do not miss. I will be bringing the Sjoorman and as always relax that weekend. :)

Will.O
WILLOUDMAYER
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:56 pm

To Jim Wheeler,

Although I didn't realize that when we were planning are monthly every 3rd weekend subrun I have here in LA, that Tom's event was the same weekend. It slipped my mind as your announcement came rather late. In no way was it intentional.

However with the taking of my thread down and canceling my event (my call) to show respect I didn't receive so much as a thank you.

My actions were called counter productive by Jim Wheeler and that's the last thing I am around here. I take offense to that statement.

Steve

Edited By U812 on 1126479107
U812

Postby anderboat » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:14 pm

Have not checked this site for almost two weeks while I was busy with my daughters wedding. I now see there was something posted about another event the I know nothing about, and a letter addressed to Jim and myself asking for a "thank you". The only item I can respond to is that my posting (August 10th), of the regatta was late, and that was out of my control since I did not have approval from Parks & Rec. I will add now that by January 2006 there will be a firm date posted on the boards for the September/October 2006 West Coast Regatta.
anderboat
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:54 pm

repeated post

Edited By U812 on 1126479169
U812

Postby anderboat » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:01 pm

Next weekend will mark ten years that SubComMI has held a annual event in the San Francisco Bay Area. We started as a static and r/c demonstration at the conversion ceremonies for Mare Island Naval Shipyard in 1995.
On the 17th & 18th we will have use of the San Francsico Casting Club Ponds located in Golden Gate Park. from 8am to 6pm. There is a map in Tim's web page www.rc-submarines.com, and another one a few postings back.
Dress warm for the summer morning fog that we are still having late this year. Should have late morning and afternoon sun. You will have to bring your own food and drink, and if you forget there is a snack bar in the park and there are a few stores close by outside the park.
Any questions can be emailed to Tom Anderson at anderboat@aol.com
anderboat
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:39 pm

I spoke to Tom today via the phone and all is well here. We had a nice talk that I enjoyed very much. Just a misunderstanding on my part.

Steve

Edited By U812 on 1126478865
U812

Next

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas