Banner Ad 1

Thor Design dealing directly once more - Atomic Subs onto bigger and better...

Heard about a new product? Announce it here!

Postby ThorDesign » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:26 pm

:lol:
Last edited by ThorDesign on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThorDesign

Postby Casey Thrower » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:09 pm

I wouldn't think twice about buying an ABS hull. Am I cheap? I don't think I am. I like the Subtech boats as well as the fiberglass ones. Had your PERMIT and LA been ABS I would have still bought them. What the boat is made from matters not to me, and I've laid down the $$$ the last few years to buy them. I got rid of my DeBoer Skipjack because it was too heavy. Had it been made of ABS I would still have it. I ran Skips MARLIN at the regatta this year and last and I loved it. I may get one yet. But don't mind me, I'm just a stupid customer. :;):
Casey Thrower SC Member #1675

"Oh Lord, Thy sea is so large and my boat is so small"
Casey Thrower

Postby Tommydeen » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:17 pm

Im with yha Matt. Dumas can do the cheapy boats.

Tom
Tommydeen
SubCommittee Member

Postby ThorDesign » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:59 am

Last edited by ThorDesign on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThorDesign

Postby ThorDesign » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:48 pm

ThorDesign

Postby Casey Thrower » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:06 pm

Please don't lecture me, Matt. I asked a question and didn't make a suggestion that you go ABS. If I want an ABS kit I'll buy one. By the way, Dumas makes some of the best kits going and they are not cheap by any means. I have built the Mr. Darby and just finished the Jersey City. Both are great builds. It really bothers me when you go on a tangent like this because I do understand what it takes to produce a kit and the money involved, because I know several people in the business just like yourself. If I didn't like what you produce I wouldn't have bought two kits from you. Just stop acting like a martyr because it doesn't wash. Nuff said.

Casey Thrower

Postby ThorDesign » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:25 pm

ThorDesign

Postby Skip Asay » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:07 pm

"If you want ABS that much I suggest you pay for the kit development, tooling, and the myriad of costs that are associated with marketing a full production kit. Count your pennies three years after the release. Subtract your up front cost (can't count your time here), and divide by the # of hours invested. The reason you cannot count your time here is that if you do, you will have a big fat zero in the numerator which leaves a very dissappointing solution to the division problem. Call me with results. I have learned the harsh realities of the marketplace the hardway. ROI means something!"

Actually, costs for a vacuformed hull are substantially less than a fiberglass hull. For one thing, the mold life is pretty much forever. Actual "pulls" are far less than with 'glass, too. Business wise, Albacore (and later, Marlin) were the best things I ever did. Museum quality? Not out of the box but as anyone who has seen my personal Albacore will agree with, museum quality is certainly achievable. (Thank you Dave Merriman)

What the lower costs allowed was a lower retail price which then means that a lot more people can own/build one. An Albacore or Marlin Deluxe Package, which includes everything except tools, glue, paint, and time will set you back less than $700. Compare that to $400 plus for a hull, another $400 for the WTC, and then another $300-400 for radio, battery, etc. (all included in a Deluxe Package) and it doesn't take an MBA to deduce which is going to sell better. To carry it a step further, an awful lot of Albacore owners have now moved on to other subs. Some scratch built, some 'glass hulls. But can anyone guess where the majority went to get all the other goodies that go in a 'glass hull/WTC they bought or built?

Yes, the Dumas subs are vacuformed and certainly not as complete as Albacore or Marlin but they still build into very nice looking and running boats....at a fraction of the cost of fiberglass.

Skip Asay
The U.S. of A - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave
Skip Asay

Postby ThorDesign » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:39 pm

:o
Last edited by ThorDesign on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThorDesign

Postby Casey Thrower » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:28 pm

The only point I was trying to make, before I was spoken to like an idiot, was that if the boat looks good I don't care what it's made from. I like fiberglass and I like ABS. Jeez, it's not like I shot a deer out of season or anything.

Edited By Casey Thrower on 1124162056

Casey Thrower

Postby Jeffrey J » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:07 am

hi Casey, did you check out that large scale Robbie type XXI that ships-n-things was selling at the SubRegatta? This is the first time I have seen one of these in person. Very large and very cool looking boat. I didn't ask if it was for sale but Al M. had at least 2 new in box. These are also ABS. I know there not as builder friendly as the SubTech kits, but sure is cool looking.... WoW... Jeff Jones
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:24 am

Hi Jeff - SubRon6er Craig Oneill has one that he had almost built. He now is talking about selling it to buy more tank stuff. (Sick, sick sick! :;): )
Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Casey Thrower » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:51 am

Jeffrey J wrote:hi Casey, did you check out that large scale Robbie type XXI that ships-n-things was selling at the SubRegatta? This is the first time I have seen one of these in person. Very large and very cool looking boat. I didn't ask if it was for sale but Al M. had at least 2 new in box. These are also ABS. I know there not as builder friendly as the SubTech kits, but sure is cool looking.... WoW... Jeff Jones

The only problem I have with Robbe is that wide hull sepration line and the fact that several people have reported problems sealing the electronics and also breaking of the long bolt that holds the halves together. Other than that, they are nice looking and very functional.

Casey Thrower

Postby ThorDesign » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:59 am

:o
Last edited by ThorDesign on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThorDesign

Postby Casey Thrower » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:03 pm

Nuff said.

Casey Thrower

Previous

Return to New Product Announcements