Banner Ad 1

Thanks to everyone!!! - Fatastic help

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:26 pm

Saturday Morning at the Pond
photo by John Louk

Well, the SubRegatta is all done for this year and I must say, being co-director with John Schagane was quite an experience! An enormous amount of work goes into these things - and even though I have helped before, you just can't know how much until you do it! :p

Everyone seemed pretty pleased with the venue and the weather worked out great, however without the help of Chris Campbell, Dave Hampton, and the rest of the Indy Admirals the whole thing would have been impossible.

Besides doing the early ground work, renting the tents n' tables and making arrangements with the city fathers (and mothers) for the venues; they helped Matt Munger set up the navigation course (their markers), sold food and drinks both days, and ran their heads off!

A special mention goes to Rhonda and Linda from the Admirals who worked the registration tent both days. They kept up good spirits and their smiles were a welcome to members checking in and signing up for competitions. Helen Gesking directed traffic the first day and helped people find the underground parking facility next to the pond.

The Admirals also got the media there - big time. All three TV stations were there plus the Indianapolis Star newspaper. On Friday, they used a nice tight shot video of Mike Dory's U-boat cruising behind the weather girl for a good long time. They also took the opportunity to interview a number of SC members running their subs. We got them all on tape so we can include them on the SubRegatta DVD.

Great media coverage thanks to the Admirals. Photo by John Louk

Kerry Addington, who is a SC member and a member of the Admirals shot video both days (he is a video pro who works at a local hosptial) so at some point I hope we will have a DVD of the event in the long tradition of Ray Mason! Ray wasn't able to be there but he contributed a nice pile of his SubRegatta DVDs to the raffle table and made a promise to be at the regatta next year! SC member John Louk shot several hundred stills that we will boil down for the wrap up article in the Dec SCR along with other photos by members.(Please send CDs in high rez! Message me for the mailing address.)

The Admirals loaned us their nifty motorized boat lift to get the big guys in and out without back injuries! Photo by John Louk

SC vice prez candidate Scott Steckler and his lady friend Dr. Diane Ventrello did a fantastic job twisting arms and selling raffle tickets - I don't know if it was a two-day ticket sales record but I'll bet it was close! Scott has had EmCee duties at a past regatta or two, but this year, Bill "The Voice" Salati was back and it sounded like the good old days again.

Mike and Allissa Shubar of Mike's SubWorks in a jolly mood. A big shout out to Mike's SubWorks and Ships n' Things who co-sponsored the Friday night meet and greet. Thanks guys! Photo by John Louk

And speaking of the raffle, it wouldn't have happened without the generous donations of the vendors AND individual members who made the tallest pile of raffle prizes I have seen on both days - at least in the five or so SubRegattas I have been to. Thank you very much everyone!!

SC Membership chairman Don Osler was there representing the SC Executive Committee, and he took the opportunity to sign up a few new members and take some "re-ups" (with the help of the cute girls in the registration tent of course! :cool: )

I don't know if it is going to be at the same place next year or not. The Executive Committee goes over the possibilities and selects from the folks who offer to put it on. So if you liked it (or if you didn't) let the SC poobahs know about it. If you have a site that you would like to put on SubRegatta 2006 - please put in your application!

Of course I'm sure I have missed people that helped, but to all of you -THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Tim Smalley
More photos in a few days after decompression!

photo by John Louk

photo by John Louk

photo by John Louk

photo by John Louk

photo by John Louk

Edited By TMSmalley on 1123001176
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:19 pm

We sent a note to the Mayor of Carmel this morning (he is a great guy and was very helpful.) Here is the note and his reply:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 9:07 AM
To: Brainard, James C
Cc: Jim Wheeler; Jeff LaRue; John Schagane; Chris Campbell
Subject: Thank you!

Jim Brainard - Mayor
City of Carmel Indiana

August 2, 2005

Dear Mayor Brainard...

On behalf of the SubCommittee, I would like to express our gratitude and thanks for the wonderful cooperation our group received from the City of Carmel before and during our 14th Annual SubRegatta we held last weekend at the city reflecting pond.

Your Parks and Recreation Department folks were a joy to work with and bent over backwards to make us feel at home. Chief Callahan and the fellows over at the firehall, where we had our friday evening gathering, were terrific. Dave Klingensmith at the Street Department lent valuable assistance as well.

I could not count how many of our members told me how much they enjoyed running their submarines in the beautiful reflecting pond and gathering in the surrounding park area for our model boat event. They greatly enjoyed the hospitality they received from the shops, hotels and restaurants of Carmel. Many members said they would like to come back to Carmel again.

Carmel is a First Class City with First Class People.

Thank you so much!

Tim Smalley
John Schagane
SubRegatta Co-Directors

cc: Jim Wheeler - SubCommittee president
Jeff LaRue - vice president
Chris Campbell - President Indianapolis Admirals

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
His Reply

Tim, John,

Thank you for writing. We enjoy having the group here and hope that they will return for many years. The area around the reflecting pool should only get better and better as the City Center project continues to develop.

Jim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas