Banner Ad 1

Regatta "short" report - more later I am sure.....

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby Jeffrey J » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:01 pm

hey Guys,
Just walked in the door back home from Carmel. Not sure of the exact turn out, but to give you an idea, 1400 raffel tickets were sold on Sat. alone, nearly 80 transmitters were in the impound area, thanks Steve and Tom you guys really had the hard job this weekend with the crowd. The crowd was great by the way. All the "Legends" of the SubCommittee were there, I mean everyone of them,,,,,, too many to even begin to list here. Everyone that you guys have ever seen in past S/C video reports were at this event. The Dec. issue should be awesome... By the way, I brought home two more rc submarines... and my wife didn't even blink.... :laugh: Jeff Jones
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby Casey Thrower » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:53 am

I just walked in the door 2 hours ago myself. The Regatta was great. Good to see everyone and hope so again next year.
Casey Thrower SC Member #1675

"Oh Lord, Thy sea is so large and my boat is so small"
Casey Thrower

Postby SSBN624Don » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:14 am

Hello,
I would like to thank everyone at the Carmel Sub Regatta for being so nice and answering many of my questions. I am a U.S. Navy Submarine veteran and watching the radio control submarines brought back so many memories. I have been involved with radio control for many years (cars & boats) and just started to get into both planes and helicopters this year... I am a member of AMA and the Southside flying club... I am still waiting to solo.

Due to my recent visit to your regatta, I now want to try radio control submarines. I would be interested in joining a club, but am not sure of which to join (Admirals or SubRon6 or ???).

Anyway, I am hoping that my first submarine project will be to build a replica of my old ship - the U.S.S. Woodrow Wilson SSBN624. I welcome anyone who could recommend a kit or hull as well as technical advice on how to build and set this up.

Please let me know of which club or organization would benefit me the most and where would be the best places (water) to "sail" these vessels.

Most Sincerely, Don Borja of Indianapolis
SSBN624Don

Postby Novagator » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:01 am

SSBN624Don wrote:Hello,
I would like to thank everyone at the Carmel Sub Regatta for being so nice and answering many of my questions. I am a U.S. Navy Submarine veteran and watching the radio control submarines brought back so many memories. I have been involved with radio control for many years (cars & boats) and just started to get into both planes and helicopters this year... I am a member of AMA and the Southside flying club... I am still waiting to solo.

Due to my recent visit to your regatta, I now want to try radio control submarines. I would be interested in joining a club, but am not sure of which to join (Admirals or SubRon6 or ???).

Anyway, I am hoping that my first submarine project will be to build a replica of my old ship - the U.S.S. Woodrow Wilson SSBN624. I welcome anyone who could recommend a kit or hull as well as technical advice on how to build and set this up.

Please let me know of which club or organization would benefit me the most and where would be the best places (water) to "sail" these vessels.

the only company that I know that makes a Lafeyette class ssbn is engel out of Germany. Scale model ship yards might but I am not sure.

Edited By Novagator on 1122904905
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby Virg » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:51 am

As to what club to join, I would join both the Indy Admirals and the Subcommittee. The Admirals are local to you and some of the members are also into subs. There is a wealth of information there.

Joining the Subcommittee is a must. You'll receive a quarterly great magazine plus the other perks afforded members. Also to join the Subron6 group you MUST be a member of the Subcommittee. Once you're a member, just contact John Shagane and he'll add you to the list of Subron6ers.

I almost forgot to mention that the Subcommittee will also give you a complete membership list, world wide, so you can contact other members or see who is in your area.

Hope this helps,

Virgil
Virg
SubCommittee Member

Postby Casey Thrower » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:06 am

SSBN624Don wrote:Hello,

Join the Subcommittee for the benefits of that group in relation to subs, then make a call on the Admirals or SubRon6. Joining all 3 would be a good call.
Casey Thrower SC Member #1675

"Oh Lord, Thy sea is so large and my boat is so small"
Casey Thrower

Postby georget » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:31 am

The only big disappointment was that there was only 2-3 vendors. What doesn't anyone want to sell submarines kits?? I see ads all over in the SC report. Was this show just bad timing? My wallet was bursting to be drained. Oh, well off to the websites I go.
George :)
georget

Postby Donsrat » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:45 am

Just back from Carmel. Great time. Thanks to the hard work Of Tim Smally, The Admirals, And everyone else for all teh hard work. The pond was great, got to see some old frends. To those of you who could not make the treck you missed a really good time. Iet's do it there again next year.

Thanks
Don Moy
0371 :)
Donsrat
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:01 pm

George - Actually there were 7 vendors, not 2 or three: :;):

In the main vendor area -
Ships N' Things
Mike's SubWorks
ModelBrass
Pete Piekarski's Seawolf Hulls

Dave Welch and Art Broder (who were in the main tent - they didn't want a vendor tent) and D&E Miniatures aka Dave Merriman - who was at the ponds edge next to the mensroom.

When you do go off to the websites, encourage the vendors to come next time. Each of the SC vendors were invited but its a long way to drive for an unknown number of sales. If they know there are a lot of guys there with fat wallets like yours ~ maybe they'll come!
Tim :laugh:

Edited By TMSmalley on 1123002249
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Donsrat » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:04 pm

A little correction to my previous post. (Not enoulgh Coffee or Spell checker)
Just back from Carmel. Great time. Thanks to the hard work of Tim Smalley, The Admirals, And everyone else for all the hard work. The pond was great, got to see some old frends. To those of you who could not make the trek you missed a really good time. Let's do it there again next year.

Don May
SC 0341 :)
Donsrat
SubCommittee Member

Postby Collins Class » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:09 am

Well I just wanted to say as a newbie to the Subregatta that I had a wonderful time. Everyone was great in discussing their models, experience and providing helpful hints. I learned a lot.

Thanks to those folks that donated stuff that was raffled both days. In particular I would like to thank those folks that donated the stuff that I won, Frank Groza, Mike and Alyssa Shubar of Mikes Subworks, Tim Smalley and Model Control Devices of Canada, and EMS/JOMAR.

As for the previous comments regarding the vendors, having done business with the Shubars of Mikes Subworks, Dave Welch and Dave Merriman and D&E Miniatures,these people made a big effort to support the event through attendance and raffle donations. I don't know Ships N Things that well but they made a big effort and look like a great outfit as well. There were vendors who could not make it in person such as Small World Models, Scale Shipyard and Model Control Devices and donated to the raffle and thanks go to them as well. Most of these businesses are small and support our hobby and in turn deserve our continued support and loyalty. Call them and talk to them rather than just go through a website. From firsthand experience it is much more rewarding experience.

I would like to particularly thank Tim Smalley, the folks from Subron6 and the Indianapolis Admirals who organised and hosted everything. It was a great event and you deserve kudos for it.

Byron
Byron

Thunder Tiger Neptune with video
Many works in progress, including me ;)
Collins Class
SubCommittee Member

Postby fgroza » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:37 am

You are quite welcome! I hope that you get some good use out of the batteries.
While on the subject, I too would like to thank all of the people involved in the event of the year! Hope that we can run in Carmel next year.
Frank :D
fgroza

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas