Banner Ad 1

Remote on off switch - Modeling tips and tricks

Post your favorite modeling 'tips' and 'tricks'

Postby Seasub88 » Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:44 pm

hi all
has anyone ever modified the remote system that opens your car door for you from little unit on your key chain?
It would certainly save a lot of time usually spent removing outer hul and getting into WTC. It could have its own power on board or even use main battery pack. Draw should be minimal. jim
Seasub88

Postby KOEZE » Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:32 pm

Try 2 reed relais in combination with a bistabile relais (two coils) with a magneto as a switch. Drain would be nil.

When the magnet closes 1 reed relais power is fed to one coil of the relais. When the magnet is removed power is cut to the coil but since the relais is bistabil the contact remain in place until the second reed relais closes and powers the other coil to switch off power. Very much cheaper and smaller than the keytransmitter option.

You could also try a variant with IR leds and photo transistors if you want. There are many possibities here.

EJK
You don't stop playing because you get older,
you get older because you stop playing.
KOEZE

Postby Robse » Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:15 pm

Hi Guys..

It would be quite cool to be able to "park" the sub on the buttom, turn it off, and then lay low for a while, but:
(Not sure how to say this the right way.....)
I would think more than twice before installing a remote power-control... Imagine it went beserk during a tour? The "beep'er" I've got for my car has done that a few times during the last 4 yrs.

1) Why not use a rod, and then stick it into one of the vent-holes on the sub, and thus toggle a switch inside? (This would also be pretty hard to figure out by someone a bit too interested at a regatta.)

2) Another way could be to glue the top of one of the missile silo hatches on top of a push-switch. When pressed down and into the 'ON' position, the hatch would be "in place", and when not, it would be easy to check, and tell to you that your sub should stay mored to the beach.

Is 100% safe, and eliminates accidental power-on / power-off's caused by radio interference, or magnetic fields from power cables etc. The chance that an underwater object sticking through the very same hole, flipping the switch the "correct" way, would make me just as confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar.

:D

Edited By Robse on 1054679154
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby Seasub88 » Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:23 pm

Thank you gentlemen, appreciate the info. Will look further into the project. jim
Seasub88

Postby Ramius-II » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:52 pm

Hi Jim:
I think what you are looking for is at: http://www.rentron.com/remote_control/RF-Relay-Combo.htm and the cost is about $50.00. :D

Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby Seasub88 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:14 pm

thanks Ed looks good will investigate further.
Jim
Seasub88

Return to Modeling Tips and Tricks