Banner Ad 1

How can I get into r/c subs? - any tips would be great

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby 106-1045957791 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:01 pm

I have been building r/c cars and planes for a few years now and would love to have a sub, but it's hard to find info and I'm a little reluctant to just start building from sratch. Does anyone have sugestions on where to start and how much it might cost?

thanks, - jon :O
106-1045957791

Postby webmaster » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:07 pm

Hi Jon -

First place I'd suggest is to read over our SubFAQ page which lists various kits and resources. After that, searching through the messages boards can probably answer quite a few questions, but feel free to ask here as well!

Hope this helps -

Andy Hunt
SubCommittee Webmaster
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Bigdave » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:15 pm

Hi Jon, One of the first things I would do(and did do) 11 years ago was to join the Subcommittee. I was always interested in model submarines and had attempted to build a few with various degrees of success. I went to the first regatta in 1992 and could not believe there were so many other people interested in the same thing. I joined right at the regatta and picked up some back issues of the sub-report. I learned alot from reading those back issues,and am still learning from the new ones. They come out four times a year and are a wealth of information. If you are interested in model submarines it will be the best investment you can make.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:59 am

:( Sorry about the yellow. I have changed it.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:01 pm

Also check out the book from Traplet titled
"Simply Submarines" - its a decent basic book for guys who want to start out in subs.
]Traplet Simply Subs

Once you get your fin's wet ;-), then try their other - MORE ADVANCED - book penned by Norbert Bruggen: "Model Submarine Technology."

The SubRegatta videos from Ray Mason are great too. They really show you what the hobby is all about with lots of "how toos". They are available direct from Ray [URL=http://www.subcommittee.com/SC_Gear.html]SC Gear - scroll down for videos[/URL
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:03 pm

Traplet - once in their site, go to books/marine
:cool:
Traplet Publishing's Website
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby 106-1045957791 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:19 pm

wow, thanks so much for all of your help. I can't wait to start a sub project. :)
106-1045957791

Return to General