Banner Ad 1

Tonight at History Channel - A type XXI off Key West

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby Gerwalk » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:13 pm

Tonight 10pm (East):

The U-2513 is what's known as a Type 21 German U-boat. In the 1940s, the Type 21 was a secret weapon that threatened to change the course of two wars: WWII, and then later, the Cold War. During WWII, German hopes were riding on it, and the Allies were terrified of it. After the war, the British, Americans, and Russians couldn't wait to get their hands on it. It was a weapon that had the potential to change the balance of world power and determine the outcome of the Cold War. Join our Deep Sea Detectives, John Chatterton and Richie Kohler, as they dive in over 200 feet of water some 95 miles offshore of Key West. There they investigate the wreck of a one of WWII's most significant naval innovations--a boat design that changed history.
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Carcharadon » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:05 pm

Saw it, great program, wish they explained more about the sabotage? Makes me want to make a 21
Carcharadon

Postby tabledancer » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:44 am

Saw it also,they showed a lot of good pictures of Typ XXI`S. :D I liked the bunker shots where they were to be built.What sabotage are you speaking about?I also thought about doing one,but let me finish the Type VIIC that I am working on now. :;):
TD :D :D
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Postby Carcharadon » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:50 am

When they were assembling the sections, some would not fit or not fit properly because"they" sabotaged the fitting. That was about all I could understand. Unless I missunderstood what was being said?
Carcharadon

Postby Gerwalk » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:52 pm

The sabbotage was done by slave labor but that was not the only reason of the delays. The construcction system and schedules were so tight and strict that some parts of the boats were released by the factories as "finished" when there was still a lot of work to do on them!. When the uncompleted section arrived to the final assembly line they found that they were missing pipes, parts, etc. For fixing those "errors" they had to spend a lot of time. Something similar happened during soviet subs construction: fear of being off schedule implied that some parts of the subs were not finished or ill finished.

I like the documentary but I think it was rather silly in keeping "the mistery" of why that particular Typ XXI was sunken in the Keys. It's a pitty that they didn't show that surviving Type XXI bunker where some boats are still there covered by the concrete ceiling.
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Captain Nemo » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:51 am

A few years back. I was talking to a buddy in Germany about some sub bunkers that still had U-boats in them; maybe the same ones you mentioned. He said there used to be ways one could get inside, and they used to go down and play in them when they were kids. It was kind of dangerous; might have been some mishaps; and the local gov'mint people decided to fill the bunkers in with rip-rap and cement to keep people out of them. I don't rememer if he said they filled in the entire bunkers, or just the access routes. But now the subs are entombed and can't be reached anymore. Make ya wanna cry or what?

Pat
VULCANIA SUBMARINE: Home of the Nautilus Minisub and 20,000 Leagues Diving Suits
Captain Nemo

Postby Captain Nemo » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:54 am

But there IS a bunker where a surviving type XXI is on display, and that IS accessable by visitors. Might be the Wilhelm Bauer? A GOOGLE search might shed some light on it.

Pat
VULCANIA SUBMARINE: Home of the Nautilus Minisub and 20,000 Leagues Diving Suits
Captain Nemo

Postby U812 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:34 am

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2003/11/detail_uboot_xxi.htm
U812

Postby Mkeatingss » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:14 pm

As a side note. Our local chapter, of the Sub Vets, just had a guy join us yerterday, who qualified on 2513. Talk about getting questions answered.....? Wow!
Mike K
I don't suffer from ulcers, I'm a carrier.
Mkeatingss

Postby Mkeatingss » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:15 pm

As a side note. Our local chapter, of the Sub Vets, just had a guy join us yesterday, who qualified on U-2513. Talk about getting questions answered.....? Wow! I wish I'd had a tape running.
Mike K
I don't suffer from ulcers, I'm a carrier.
Mkeatingss

Postby Captain Nemo » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:48 pm

Here's one for the U-boat fans, of which I am admittedly one:

My buddy Peter Madsen in Denmark, along with Claus Noerregaard, recently launched a sub called KRAKA which bears a striking resemblance to a U-boat. (Check the torpedo tube viewports!!!)

Here's a link to his page at my website:

http://www.vulcaniasubmarine.com/KRAKA.htm

and here's a link to another website with a lot of information about this sub AND their next project: a full-sized U-boat presently designated UC-3:

http://www.bluesky-services.dk/submarine/pages/index_uk.html

If that link doesn't work, you can access it via the LINKS page at VulcaniaSubmarine.Com

http://www.vulcaniasubmarine.com/links.htm

Dive down toward the bottom and look in the Homebuilt Submarines section for Peter Blazejewicz' website about the UC-3 project.

I think you'll all really enjoy seeing what those guys are doing. Truly amazing and inspirational!

Pat
Captain Nemo

Postby Gerwalk » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:32 am

Captain Nemo wrote:A few years back. I was talking to a buddy in Germany about some sub bunkers that still had U-boats in them; maybe the same ones you mentioned. He said there used to be ways one could get inside, and they used to go down and play in them when they were kids. It was kind of dangerous; might have been some mishaps; and the local gov'mint people decided to fill the bunkers in with rip-rap and cement to keep people out of them. I don't rememer if he said they filled in the entire bunkers, or just the access routes. But now the subs are entombed and can't be reached anymore. Make ya wanna cry or what?

Pat

Yes, that's the bunker, the Elbe bunker. AFAIK it is in a private company yard and during the years some people not only went there to play but also to steal parts. In u-boat.net they have an article and photos about this bunker:

http://www.uboat.net/articles/index.html?article=27
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby k225 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:40 pm

Didn't see the show but wished I had, the Type XXI has played an important part in the evolution of Sub designs particularly in the US Navy. Both U 2513 and U3008 were operated by the US Navy Post war. The Tang Class diesel were basically a derivative of the German Type XXI design. The sub that housed the first nuclear reactor also based on the same design.The Triton was also a modified Type XXI hull design and was the last US sub built to that plan.
I'm sure many of you are much more knowledgeable than I about the importance of this type especially when married with American ingenuity.
An inspiration to complete my Robbe Type XXI's sea trials.

Edited By k225 on 1121989371
It's not having what you want. It's wanting what you've got.
k225

Return to Television and Movie Submarines