Banner Ad 1

Balboa lake Regatta July 16th - Southern California

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby U812 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:52 pm

I'm going to have a sub meet July 16th at Balboa lake in the LA area. Those of you that live around here know how good this lake is.

We have a designated RC boat area with a nice big parking lot right near the shore. Lots of trees and shade. Rest rooms and this is a big darn lake or pond.

Depth near shore is about 4 ft. You can see your subs clearly when close to the shore.

We should meet around 11 am. Bring food, and nice chair and a table to work on. Oh and your subs, destroyers, PT boats and battle ships. I'll be bringing my destroyer so look out subs, you have a target!

The park is open until sunset so it will be a nice long day and you don't have to get there at the crack of dawn.

Here's some pictures from my run last Saturday. It wasn't crowded at all and there was plenty of parking.

Also here are some links to LA parks about the lake and the location map.

Hope some of you can make it. We have about 6 people coming so far.

Bud has been helping to organize this first meet. We hope to do this at lease once a month. I had a great time there and never lost a sub. The VIIC was just great in the open water. forget pools this blows it away.

[url=http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?name=&ed=iW4YRup_0ToScRxBXauJN.3bJlEx6OUL7JJN7op2W07eJRLWB.GxRmX9lZx5cZE1Dw2pirIB1lDyJM3QItm69IeSAw

nxI8R0qtPRPNm56W4SvKxmBw--&csz=Van+Nuys%2C+CA+91316-5227&desc=&mag=2&ds=n&state=CA&uzip=91316&country=US&BFKey=&cat=comm&resize=l&trf=0]http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_re....l&trf=0[/url]

http://www.laparks.org/dos/aquatic/balboa/remote_boating.htm

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3875150&postcount=1

ImageImage

Edited By U812 on 1120336314
U812

Postby QM1 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:41 pm

Hi y'all,

Lucky me! I'm going to be at sea when you guys meet! Could I interest you in doing it again last weekend of August or 1st weekend in September? my underway schedule is very full this year.
I have run at that lake, I agree it is a beautiful spot.
The Inland Nautical Society is having another Regatta at Fairmount park in Riverside on 18 September. What do you say, we have a strong submariner presence at this one? I will be there.
Last one was a blast.
Take Care,
Steve (in San Diego)
QM1

Postby U812 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:21 am

Steve,

Sounds good to me. I'd love to come. Keep me posted as time goes by and happy sailing!

Steve
U812

Postby U812 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:48 pm

37 views and only one reply. Anyone? Can't believe there's not more of us in the LA area.

The weather has been great here. Not too hot. In the mid 80's. The lake is beautiful. You couldn't ask for a better set up and weekend.

Hope to hear from some of you guys.

Steve
U812

Postby liftmys10 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:32 am

Hey Steve, count me in. Great looks subs you have. Steve from SD, sorry to hear you cant make it on July 16th. Aug. 1st or whenever sounds good to me so ill see you then. Ill also try to make it for the inland sub in sept. See you there.

Shawn
liftmys10

Postby U812 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:45 pm

Good to hear Shawn. That makes about 6 people so far.

I know there are over 30 SC memembers in my area. Where the #### are you guys?

Steve
U812

Postby liftmys10 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:05 pm

U812 wrote:Good to hear Shawn. That makes about 6 people so far.

I know there are over 30 SC memembers in my area. Where the #### are you guys?

Steve

who are the others that are going?
liftmys10

Postby U812 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:46 pm

Shawn,

Bud will have to fill in here as he's been contacting them.

Funny. I wrote where the #### are you guys and it's not a sware word. I'll try where the heck are you guys? That's not a sware either.

steve
U812

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:50 pm

MANY SC members just never look at the website because they are afraid of it, can't figure it out, it bounced once because they didn't have the correct passwords, etc...

I'd suggest that you go to your SC membership directory and email them all an invitation.

We did that with the Midwest guys and got a bunch of new SubRon6 members.

Best,
Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:50 pm

Thanks Tim. We'll give that a try. Now where's that list in the mess I call a shop!

Steve
U812

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:31 pm

You guys keep this up you are going to need your own SubRon!!
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:39 pm

Might not be a bad idea Tim. I've got to nice lakes just minutes from my home. It's about time someone in the LA area but them to good use.

Steve :;):
U812

Postby liftmys10 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:45 am

U812 wrote:Might not be a bad idea Tim. I've got to nice lakes just minutes from my home. It's about time someone in the LA area but them to good use.

Steve :;):

#### yea, we probably live pretty close as balboa lake is minutes away from my place too. July 16, i'll be looking forward in meeting you. I have the ugly Albacore :) You cant miss it.
liftmys10

Postby liftmys10 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:58 am

It's located in San Fernando Valley close to the 101 and 405 freeway. Steve also mentioned that maybe we can make it an anual event. This place is very relaxing and the parking lot is 10-15 steps away from the reserved r/c boat area and parking is always empty. Maybe we can start off my showing up the first and third sunday of each month? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to see more subs in action here in LA county.

Directions to lake Balboa: 6300 Balboa Boulevard, Van Nuys, CA 914

liftmys10

Postby U812 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:34 am

liftmys10,

thanks for the posts. What we need here to make this event better is more people. I've looked through the SC members dictory and there about 25-30 people in the local area.

What I need is a hand here to make this happen. And your idea about the weekends for a general meet are great too.

What I need done is for some kind soul to make phone calls to the members on the list as it's too late to proceed with Tim's very good idea.

In the future I will do up a nice flyer and send them out to the members.

I plan on bringing 4 subs that are in working order and the un finished Washington class boat I'm scratch building.

I'm working a lot for the History Channel these next 2 weeks and it's very hard to find the time to contact the members. Please help if you can and lets make this a great event. I plan to shoot video and pictures for an article on the event as well. so doll them up boys.

Thanks you guys,

Steve
U812

Next

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas