Banner Ad 1

Filler on Dutch market

SubCommittee chapter in the Netherlands

Postby toneburst » Tue May 27, 2003 4:15 pm

Hi to all,

this thread is aimed specifically to the Dutch market: what filler did anyone of you use on ABS-made subs. Since most of you already know I am in the process of building the U-47 from Robbe. As for filler (Dutch: plamuur) Robbe advises to use it's 'home-brand' Rostuff. Wondered if anything else can be used, keeping in mind it must be easy to use, give a perfect finish and 'everlasting durability' (and waterproof afcourse). I saw 'Alabastine' sells several filler-products that can be used on ABS, both 1k or 2k. The latter can be categorized as 'car-filler' (auto-plamuur) but tends to get very hard and leaves pitts and little holes after finishing.
Conrad sells the 'Seilo 80' product offering better finishing, but it does not state any 'long lasting waterproof capability'.
So to be short: pls give me any advise or pass me any of your experiences on the subject 'filler' (plamuur).
Any comments highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jos.
Bailed out aircrew please report here......
toneburst

Postby witchblade » Wed May 28, 2003 5:04 am

Jos,

I use Alabastine "glasvezelplamuur". It dries up pink and has the fibres of the "glasvezelmatten" (I really, really don't know the englisch word for it). It sands perfectly, and it is very strong, small holes filled are then with normal carfiller. I use it on my sub and for my targets (surface ships). I also use normal carfiller, same brand, for filling up little holes which aren't on a lot of stress. NEVER use "lakplamuur". Less smell but it is only nice for small holed in your house, not in your sub.

OK, not a one substance solution, but at least you don't end up with a sub that breaks up after an afternoon in the water.

An alternative for "stabilit express" is a glue from Bison. Power Combi it called. 2k, dries up in about 1 hour, but still a little sticky, and after 12 hours (on the package is said 24) is dry. you can glue erverything to everything with it (also ABS). It is even seawater protected (just in case you wanted to patrol the "waddenzee"). It fills out little holes and seams perfectly and is sandable.

Perhaps you could try it.

Danny

Edited By witchblade on 1054112908
witchblade

Postby KOEZE » Wed May 28, 2003 6:47 am

Hello,

I use 1k filler made by Motip (in every carpart centre in the area here (Leeuwarden)) it is called Afwerkplamuur (I think).
It has a dark green color, Dries quickly and has a very fine structure. Do be carefull with it on ABS as I have no experience using it on that bur I see no problems.

EJK
You don't stop playing because you get older,
you get older because you stop playing.
KOEZE

Postby toneburst » Wed May 28, 2003 9:06 am

Thanks Danny,

two advantages on these products: they sell Alabastine about everywhere and it's a pretty trustworthy brand with which I have good experiences.
I'll give it another day or so. I there is are no more hints I think I'll go for these two options.

Jos.
toneburst

Postby toneburst » Wed May 28, 2003 9:17 am

Hi EJK,

that store must be 'Ype Kramer' or 'Wassenaar'?......looks like we are in the same region (Berlikum)....... Are the two of us a rare species in Friesland or is there a greater community here (that I've not been able to find)?
Looks like this board is definitely promising....

Jos.
toneburst

Postby KOEZE » Wed May 28, 2003 10:40 am

A goeie Toneburst,

Ype Kramer and Wassenaar both have it. On the question of other sub builders here in Friesland. There's Boele Tienstra (Type VIIc) He's always in the FEC (Hobby Beurs). There's Swart in Dronrijp (Type IX from Engel) I don't know how he's comming along. There's Erik Visser in Dokkum (Zwaardvis klasse) but he stopped. There's me Erik Jan (Walrus klasse 1:50) There's somebody else in Leeuwarden but he sold his U-25; do a Google on that.

What are you working on and how's it coming along.

EJK
You don't stop playing because you get older,
you get older because you stop playing.
KOEZE

Return to SubComNL