Banner Ad 1

Hunley lawsuit claims $309 million in damages

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

Postby TMSmalley » Thu May 19, 2005 7:12 am

Hunley lawsuit claims $309 million in damages

Associated Press

Underwater archaeologist E. Lee Spence claims he suffered $309 million in damages because the discovery of the Confederate submarine Hunley was credited to author Clive Cussler.

The figure was discussed during a deposition Spence gave as part of the federal lawsuits arising from the discovery of the Hunley a decade ago.

"I want the jury to award me everything they believe it has cost me," Spence said Wednesday. "I'm trying to be conservative in my figures as to what it cost me. I didn't spend that much money and not that I would have received that much money, but I would have had that benefit."

The figure is "absurd and I think it is ludicrous," said John Lay Jr., the attorney representing Cussler.

Cussler recently was granted a delay in the trial until at least August because he recently underwent open heart surgery .

A group headed by Cussler sued Spence in 2001.

That suit contends Spence's claim that he found the submarine injured the reputation of Cussler's National Underwater & Marine Agency and divers Cussler hired.

Spence later countersued, seeking damages and asking the court to declare him the discoverer of the Hunley.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Thu May 19, 2005 5:10 pm

The man is so obviously greedy and unfair I don't think he should get a dime as his reward. 309 million? People try to sue for that everyday for stubbing their toe on your steps. They deserve nothing.

If true I'm sure he's entitled to compensation. But in light of his criminal behavior it would be more fitting to give him the sack.

Steve
U812

Postby Dolphin » Thu May 19, 2005 11:16 pm

How silly. An agreement should be promptly worked out and agreed too as gentlemen (kill the greed) before the lawyers on both sides steal everything! These jerks sound like full fledged Californians! Next thing they will be putting lost fingers in bowls of chilli....oppps tooo late! Illegal aliens bankrupting the states overburdened schools and hospitals, terrible transportation systems, the best state legislature money can buy. It will take at the latest estimate 25 years to build half a replacement San Francisco Bay bridge (remember the 89 earthquake?), we are still waiting for this bridge! Energy and Insurance rates are strangled by lawyers, letting fair market prices ever prevail? Never. Lawyers here sue the companies (for no cause or client in California, except the lawyers own) for lowering prices as much as they do to raise these same prices. And one in twenty people in the Golden state are attorneys. The last sentence amazingly encompasses or explains it all. I don't know what you call lawyers in your part of the world, but here in California we have another word for lawyer...we call them cancer. So proud to be a Californian. (sic).

Steve

Edited By Dolphin on 1116703296
Dolphin

Postby U812 » Fri May 20, 2005 4:35 am

Hey I'm from LA! And I couldn't agree more.

Steve
U812

Postby Robert » Fri May 20, 2005 10:16 am

I'm a native Californian also, and a native Bay Arean. The Bay Bridge is a mighty sore point. But the only thing I would add is that attorneys wouldn't exist if there weren't people willing to hire them.
Robert
SubCommittee Member

Postby Dolphin » Fri May 20, 2005 9:28 pm

I agree. Everybody hates lawyers till they need one. Robert, the Diving Saucer is still for sale. If you live in the Bay area where I do too, I will take the $20.00 off for shipping since you seem to live so close. Cost for you $500.00.

Steve
Dolphin

Postby Sub culture » Sat May 21, 2005 9:36 am

Unfortunately, the 'sue you' culture has become quite commonplace in the UK in recent years. An American export we could well do without.

I belong to a long established model engineers society http://www.nlsme.co.uk .

We have many sections, the main one is a live steam loco section with 3.5", 5", 7.5" gauge track. On Sundays the site is open to the public, and folk can travel on the trains for free.

A few years back, a little girl was riding on the back of a members 5" gauge loco, and got a small bit of sinders on her dress that blew out of the funnel.

The upshot of this was a tiny little burn, and the parents successfully sued the societies insurance company for £5000 for a grade 2 burn.

As a result, since then members of the public are only permitted to ride on electric trains, and there is talk of banning the public altogether because the insurance company will not accept the risk of accidents.

So there you go. Rubbish isn't it!

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Dolphin » Sat May 21, 2005 2:39 pm

And we wonder why city parks here do not have ponds for us to run our boats in? Cities here have water slides, we don't seem to be too concerned with the frightful possibility of a child drowning. So odd. It maybe expensive land here in California...a water slide creates revenue (you know..for paying expensive lawsuit insurance), while a reflecting pond.....? This is insane.

So why not park lakes & ponds for peaceful contemplation and communion with nature la dee da dee da! ....and for us submarine modelers who dream of sinking convoys, were the first thing we think of when the wake in the morning is...'sink'm all!'? LOL.

I am sorry about our litigious import to your fine country. As a wonderful export from your own country once wrote....'first thing .....kill the lawyers...' W. Shakespeare.

Steve

Edited By Dolphin on 1116703707
Dolphin

Postby Boss subfixer » Sat May 21, 2005 4:40 pm

Did you know that when our country was just getting started that our fore fathers while drafting the constitution where very seriously concidering putting in that if you were a lawyer you could not run for public office? How's that for long time hatred of lawyers? Another interesting fact is that at one time in the not so distant past it was unethical for a lawyer to advertise in general media and doing such could result in being disbarred. So they ban together get the laws changed and start a feeding frenzy. Now not all laywers are bad but I'm pretty sick and tired of seeing commercials telling you to dial 1-800-sue the socks of em.
Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Put your heart into it, well done is better than well said... Ben Franklin
Boss subfixer

Postby Desert Boat » Sun May 22, 2005 12:22 am

Actually, it was one lawyer here in Phoenix who sued (what else) and his case went all the way to the Supreme Court where he won the right for lawyers to advertise. His name was Van O'Steen and his graduated from HS with my wife (Oh Boy).
Ray Agee
SCM #2551
Cactus Navy
Tempe, Arizona
Lord ... Shield us from the UltraSensitive!
Desert Boat

Return to Subs in the News