Banner Ad 1

Casabianca (SNA-603) image

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

Postby Gerwalk » Wed May 11, 2005 12:05 pm

Wow!! Thanks for sharing that!

Yes, I think the Amethyste/Rubis class hulls are based on the Agostas. It's a logical developement from the diesel to the SNA.
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Dolphin » Thu May 12, 2005 10:54 pm

Here is a excellent profile view (middle image) of the same radar mast fairing on Casabianca (SNA-603). It has those 'gray bananas' along the sides, but if you look closer, a false vertical line front and back with some subtle shading seems to be there too. Perhaps to confuse the observers sense of distance from the mast? Why do that, why not just make the whole thing blend in? Different though, that is the fun of other submarines to me, different solutions to the same problems. Likely this mast would usually be raised when the sub is surfaced, so maybe the camo is to blendinto the background sky? Perhaps it is an experimental scheme. Looks like large rubber 'slab' like anechoic tiles in sail too.

Also notice in bottom image of SNA Saphir interesting placement of sail limber holes in the trailing edge of sail. Interesting solution to minimize flow noise and still make flooding and draining of sail structure quick & easy. Fast drainage of sail structure is useful in rapid surfacing of sub. Water can drain fast, eliminating any brief top heaviness as water tries to drain out. Sure there is a slim aft facing sonar transducer in there somewhere too.

Steve Reichmuth

Edited By Dolphin on 1115954170
Dolphin

Postby Gerwalk » Fri May 13, 2005 11:56 am

how I love that netmarin site! and this discussion. Maybe the "cammo" is just to confuse. Sailor on watch on a destroyer: -Hey! What are those bananas floting in mid air?:D

The limber holes: that's a great detail. Never noticed before!

Just looking at that last pic I couldn't help noticing the similarity of the aft deck with that from british subs (Valiant, Churchill, etc.)
Pablo
Gerwalk

Previous

Return to Subs in the News