Banner Ad 1

U.S. Navy launches (PCU) Texas (SSN-775)

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

Postby Dolphin » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:26 am

http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/050409-N-0775O-001.jpg

050409-N-0775O-001 Newport News, Va. (Apr. 9, 2005) - The U.S. Navy launches its second Virginia-class attack submarine, Pre Commissioning Unit (PCU) Texas (SSN 775). Current plans call for 30 Virginia-class submarines in the Fleet. As the Navy's next-generation attack submarine, the Virginia-class will provide the U.S. Navy with the capabilities it requires to maintain the Nation's undersea supremacy well into the 21st Century. Texas will have improved stealthiness, sophisticated surveillance capabilities and Special Warfare enhancements that will enable it to meet the Navy's multimission requirements. Photo courtesy of Chris Oxley, Northrop Grumman Corporation (RELEASED)

Steve

Dolphin

Postby 84-1114883824 » Sun May 08, 2005 8:21 pm

Interesting; a different "factory" paint job than that seen on the all black Virginia built by EB. The forward portion of the next submarine in the class, the Hawaii, still in primer red was sticking out of EB's big green shed on Friday. I got some pictures of the Virginia heading out to sea late Thursday around 7:00 PM. Caught her at the mouth of the Thames, ecorted by 3 Coast Guard boats. The tugs had already departed, so I got some photos of her in "clean" condition.
84-1114883824

Postby Dolphin » Sun May 08, 2005 11:06 pm

Good to hear from you Tom. That was the first thing I noticed too. I am certain it is a 'factory finish' as you mentioned. That is a good term that explains well too. A hull preservative coating while she floats dockside fitting out. These new Virginia 'boats', along with the new USS Jimmy Carter must be capable of literally some fantastic things. Modeling wise, they are austere and lack visual character, but on the inside where it matters.....wow...watch out!

Steve
Dolphin

Postby Dolphin » Sun May 08, 2005 11:09 pm

Good to hear from you Tom. That was the first thing I noticed too. I am certain it is a 'factory finish' as you mentioned. That is a good term that explains well too. A hull preservative coating while she floats dockside fitting out. These new Virginia 'boats', along with the new USS Jimmy Carter must be capable of literally some fantastic things. Modeling wise, they are austere and lack visual character, but on the inside where it matters.....wow...watch out!

Steve

Edited By Dolphin on 1115608219
Dolphin

Postby Dolphin » Sun May 08, 2005 11:12 pm

Sorry for the repeat....squirrely software? Maybe it's my graymatter software....

Steve
Dolphin

Postby Novagator » Mon May 09, 2005 4:16 pm

:cool:
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Return to Subs in the News